GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Need a PC for uni"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/03 at 18:32
Regular
Could anyone give me some advice on buying a new PC. I'm going to uni is September and need a PC for then. Was gonna wait till just before I go to get a better spec PC for around the same price but then saw this-

AMD Athlon XP (TM) 2400+ with Quantispeed Technology
256Mb PC2100 DDR Memory (266MHz
1.44MB Floppy Drive
40Gb Ultra Fast with 2Mb Buffer (7200rpm)
128MB nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
15'' Sharp TFT Flat Panel Monitor with Built-in Stereo Speakers (Analogue)
16x DVD-ROM Drive (40x CD-ROM)
Logitech Internet Keyboard & Optical Mouse (Black
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

For a few quid over £600 inc VAT and delivery.

Was thinking this was pretty good and that I should buy it. I'm not bothered by the slightly small hard drive or getting a better graphics card etc. The PC is made by a reputable company not some weird obscure make.

So is this a good deal for what it is?
Fri 20/06/03 at 03:07
"I love yo... lamp."
I would wait. The 2400+ is getting a bit old now in processor terms. For literally a few pounds more you could get a 2600+. And it is a small hard drive.

Look around a bit more, and don't be fooled by things like TFT monitors. They add a lot to the price if they arre decent and if they are cheaper ones then they are likely to be nasty. I would rather have a 19" CRT than a 15" TFT.

It doesn't even have a CD RW. And a 52x one of them is only £40. Better deals out there.

Or you could even build one yourself.
Fri 20/06/03 at 00:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You get that with most things though. People don't realise that a TFT of any use usually costs more than the computer itself.
Thu 19/06/03 at 23:28
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Not bad, but the focus is in all the wrong places - why such a noisy, fast graphics card when the monitor that comes with it doesn't like moving images?
Thu 19/06/03 at 19:45
Regular
Evesham?
Thu 19/06/03 at 19:19
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Yeah, it comes from a reputable company on the internet who advertise in national newspapers and comes with a 3 year warranty so it should be ok. Might wait till September as well so I can spend more on my holiday.
Thu 19/06/03 at 18:42
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I'm gonna wait until nearer September before buying mine...

But it looks fairly good for the price. Just, are you buying it from a respectable company and do you get a warranty with it?
Thu 19/06/03 at 18:32
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Could anyone give me some advice on buying a new PC. I'm going to uni is September and need a PC for then. Was gonna wait till just before I go to get a better spec PC for around the same price but then saw this-

AMD Athlon XP (TM) 2400+ with Quantispeed Technology
256Mb PC2100 DDR Memory (266MHz
1.44MB Floppy Drive
40Gb Ultra Fast with 2Mb Buffer (7200rpm)
128MB nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
15'' Sharp TFT Flat Panel Monitor with Built-in Stereo Speakers (Analogue)
16x DVD-ROM Drive (40x CD-ROM)
Logitech Internet Keyboard & Optical Mouse (Black
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

For a few quid over £600 inc VAT and delivery.

Was thinking this was pretty good and that I should buy it. I'm not bothered by the slightly small hard drive or getting a better graphics card etc. The PC is made by a reputable company not some weird obscure make.

So is this a good deal for what it is?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.