GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best CD purchase this year so far"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/03 at 18:14
Regular
I'm, like, ill and stuff so not been at work. But I managed to struggle into Harlow for the 1st time in about a year. Apart from fat teenage mums and their hateful insect brood, nothing there but Virgin Records.

And I managed to find the single best CD purchase I have made this year (hence the title of this thread).
Now, put away your preconceptions and snobbery, and just hear me out:

The Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul.
A 2-CD collection of just about every major (and some minor) soul stars from the past 40 years. I tell you, there's 50+ tracks of utter, utter perfection here that highlights just how bloody awful 90% of the current chart music is today.

Examples from this collection:
Sam & Dave "Soul Man", Wilson Pickett "In the Midnight Hour", Aretha Franklin "Think", Solomon Burke "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love", Otis Redding "These Arms of Mine", The Drifters, "Save the Last dance for Me", Percy Sledge "When a Man Loves a Woman", Bill Withers "Ain't no sunshine".

I've spent all afternoon sitting with headphones on just soaking up some of the most perfect songs ever written, sung by people with soul and passion, played by musicians that felt it in their bones and have lasted 40years. Compared to "I'm Robbie William, me!" by Robbie Williams or whatever emasculated McBand are currently being bought by stupid 8yr olds.

Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul.
Go get some.
Thu 19/06/03 at 18:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm, like, ill and stuff so not been at work. But I managed to struggle into Harlow for the 1st time in about a year. Apart from fat teenage mums and their hateful insect brood, nothing there but Virgin Records.

And I managed to find the single best CD purchase I have made this year (hence the title of this thread).
Now, put away your preconceptions and snobbery, and just hear me out:

The Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul.
A 2-CD collection of just about every major (and some minor) soul stars from the past 40 years. I tell you, there's 50+ tracks of utter, utter perfection here that highlights just how bloody awful 90% of the current chart music is today.

Examples from this collection:
Sam & Dave "Soul Man", Wilson Pickett "In the Midnight Hour", Aretha Franklin "Think", Solomon Burke "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love", Otis Redding "These Arms of Mine", The Drifters, "Save the Last dance for Me", Percy Sledge "When a Man Loves a Woman", Bill Withers "Ain't no sunshine".

I've spent all afternoon sitting with headphones on just soaking up some of the most perfect songs ever written, sung by people with soul and passion, played by musicians that felt it in their bones and have lasted 40years. Compared to "I'm Robbie William, me!" by Robbie Williams or whatever emasculated McBand are currently being bought by stupid 8yr olds.

Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul.
Go get some.
Thu 19/06/03 at 18:17
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I like most of them songs, but my Dad has those CD's, so that's the resource I use.

What's took you so long to get a CD like that though?
Thu 19/06/03 at 18:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Oh I've always had "Best of" and various compilations of Motown, Northern Soul etc, but this is the 1st decent compilation I've found with pretty much all the classics in one place.

Currently got Otis Redding "Pain in my Heart" playing. No matter how many times I hear it, I still consider it a crime for anyone to talk when he cries out "And said I want you to love me...love me...love me baby..."
Absolutely ####ing genius song.
Thu 19/06/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I absolutely love Bill Withers "Ain't no sunshine" but am not overly keen on the other records you mentioned. Tends to be a case of I'll tune in my ears if something tugs the emotions or I just don't hear it.

Only posting as I'm curious to know how Motown gets through the swear filter - absolutely horrendous music, even the word is enough to make me cringe.

* I don't believe I got knocked back by the filter and had to change a word before I posted.
Thu 19/06/03 at 19:13
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> Aretha Franklin "Think

That song is great when they sing it in the blues brothers.
Thu 19/06/03 at 20:38
Regular
"Wobble"
Goatboy wrote:
> Now, put away your preconceptions and snobbery

How can you say this, and then come out with:

> Compared to "I'm Robbie William, me!" by Robbie Williams or whatever
> emasculated McBand are currently being bought by stupid 8yr olds.

Hypocrite!
Thu 19/06/03 at 21:14
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Does it have "Heard It On The Grapevine"? Brilliant song that.
Thu 19/06/03 at 22:51
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I don't buy much music, but two albums I have bought and really liked are. Nickleback Silver Side Up, and the new Chili Peppers one.
Thu 19/06/03 at 22:56
Regular
"None Stored"
ive bought alot of albums as well as downloaded alot this year, so im not really sure which is my best this year, probably 2pac better dayz or maybe DMX ...And Then There Was X.
Thu 19/06/03 at 22:59
Regular
"You peasant..."
My best buy this year by far has been Led Zeppelin - Early/Latter Days.

Must buy more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.