GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best CD purchase this year so far"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/03 at 18:14
Regular
I'm, like, ill and stuff so not been at work. But I managed to struggle into Harlow for the 1st time in about a year. Apart from fat teenage mums and their hateful insect brood, nothing there but Virgin Records.

And I managed to find the single best CD purchase I have made this year (hence the title of this thread).
Now, put away your preconceptions and snobbery, and just hear me out:

The Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul.
A 2-CD collection of just about every major (and some minor) soul stars from the past 40 years. I tell you, there's 50+ tracks of utter, utter perfection here that highlights just how bloody awful 90% of the current chart music is today.

Examples from this collection:
Sam & Dave "Soul Man", Wilson Pickett "In the Midnight Hour", Aretha Franklin "Think", Solomon Burke "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love", Otis Redding "These Arms of Mine", The Drifters, "Save the Last dance for Me", Percy Sledge "When a Man Loves a Woman", Bill Withers "Ain't no sunshine".

I've spent all afternoon sitting with headphones on just soaking up some of the most perfect songs ever written, sung by people with soul and passion, played by musicians that felt it in their bones and have lasted 40years. Compared to "I'm Robbie William, me!" by Robbie Williams or whatever emasculated McBand are currently being bought by stupid 8yr olds.

Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul.
Go get some.
Sat 21/06/03 at 21:41
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Asher D wrote:
> Method Man/Redman - Blackout!
>
> what's with the '!' ?.
> And it's not THAT good.
> You wanna get Supreme Clientelle, if you haven't already got it.

Is that Method Man?

Also, what's the best 2Pac album? There are so many..
Sat 21/06/03 at 14:11
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Asher D wrote:
> Method Man/Redman - Blackout!

what's with the '!' ?.
And it's not THAT good.
You wanna get Supreme Clientelle, if you haven't already got it.
Sat 21/06/03 at 11:59
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I have listened to St. Anger, although not purchased it yet. It's a good enough album, but it would sound better with solos. Still sounds heavy enough, though!
Sat 21/06/03 at 04:04
"I love yo... lamp."
Goatboy wrote:
> Master of Puppets is cool, "And Justice for All" is my
> fav.
> Solos galore, but I'm glad they stopped Kirk Hammett from doing
> that.
> He has to try and look mean instead of looking like an effete Mexican
> mariachi man.

Solos are part of what made Metallica an excellent band in the past. Lets face it, One or St Anger?

I have a friend who owns a rock/metal record shop, and so far most people have been disappointed with the new album because of the lack of solos.

> Besides, you get Robert Trujillo on the DVD. And he is more rock than
> anyone else.

The sign of being a true rockstar is to have been married to Heather Locklear, or at least so I was told...

Saw MTV2 Icons tonight, was Metallica on tonight. They were excellent, Snoop Dog was awful. I can't even remember what song it was he killed, I was to busy crying. Avril Lavigne was alright at Fuel. Well her band was, she needs singing lessons. And to have her volume up a bit more.
Fri 20/06/03 at 22:06
Regular
Method Man/Redman - Blackout!
Fri 20/06/03 at 22:05
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
A few boxes of blank Cds- cheaper than a new album, great for downloading purposes... :D
Fri 20/06/03 at 21:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Goatboy wrote:
> He wears lyrca jumpsuits and sings like Charlotte Church.

Evanescence = Charlotte Church. Darkness = high pitched ace comedy rock.

> James Hetfield wears a beanie-hat

....is that meant to be good? Craig David wears a beanie hat, it doesn't mean his "What's your flava?" bollo is any good.

> Anyway, Electric Six are on tonight at The Barfly.
> "At the gay bar...gay bar...gay bar...."

You like that crap but hate The Darkness? What the hell?
Fri 20/06/03 at 20:51
Regular
monkey_man: The MILF hunter.
Fri 20/06/03 at 17:07
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Snuggly pulled that night. A man. Probably. I did wake up in his house the next day though...which is quite weird...and it was his Mum that woke me up...hmmmm....
Fri 20/06/03 at 17:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> The Barfly is a gay bar? That'd explain why you were performing in a
> leather basque with a studded biker's hat on when we came to see you.
---

And that Maharishi in the corner was my punker-queen. You looked *very* at home eh?
EH?

See, I typed EH in caps, which gives it more gravitas and truth.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.