GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I got thinking..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/06/03 at 20:58
Regular
I was thinking about the universe and stuff and got thinking, fairly deeply.

You may or may not have heard of these places where you can buy distant stars and name them yourself. However these stars are suns in solar sytems far far away and there could well be life in plants orbitting these suns. Now if, as we are often told, there is life 'out there' then there could surely be another planet with another scheme like this and our sun may well have already been sold off for a few quid.

I am uncomfortable with this for a number of reasons. Firstly I don't like the idea of some far away alien guy owning the large firely ball of gas that is keeping us all alive right now. Secondly I don't think it is right to purchase something that cannot be owned. A planet can not be bought unless there is a current owner. There is no current owner of Earth, God you may argue is but I would disagree, and there cannot be owners of flaming balls of burning gas and rock. It is absurd to even try to sell something like that.

Anyway, whilst thinging about the universe I though about where the universe ends. We are told the universe is ever-expanding and can be proved by looking at red shift of stars and suchlike. However what is the universe expanding into? There must be something outside of the universe that the universe expands over, there cannot be just nothingness and suddenly becomes something. Nothingness doesn't exist. There are several conclusions I came to; that we are just a tiny part of a somewhat larger existance in another world or universe and our universe is just a part of it, and that universe is part of a larger universe and so on, like those russian dolls that all fit inside of each other. Another possibility I thought of was that everything just ends, like when you scroll right to the end of the map on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Perhaps nothingness does exist and it just cannot be proven.

At this point I felt really scared and insignificant on the large scale of things. So what do you think about 'everything' ?
Thu 19/06/03 at 22:22
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
The human race, compared to the universe, is probably about as significant as a grain of sand in a desert.
Thu 19/06/03 at 20:13
Regular
"You've upset me"
VenomByte wrote:
> Nothingness does not exist, anywhere ever. There is no such thing.
>
> That works in my head, at least.

Try and remember before you were born...

That was nothingness to you. There was nothing before you were born, there will be nothing after you die. But the human brain cannot comprehend nothingness that's why it's impossible to believe in it.
Thu 19/06/03 at 20:07
Regular
"You've upset me"
Kyz22 wrote:
> Linkin Park... basically
> rock music with deep lyrics

Is that not an oxymoron?
Thu 19/06/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Thats what I though. Glad someone has the same reasoning as myself.
Thu 19/06/03 at 12:26
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Nothingness does not exist, anywhere ever. There is no such thing.

That works in my head, at least.

[and no, I didn't just say my head is full of nothingness :) ]
Thu 19/06/03 at 09:25
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I cannot figure out nothingness - everything has some significance and nothingness would have none whatsoever. A vacuum contains nothing yet it is not nothingness.

Perhaps death is nothingness?
Thu 19/06/03 at 08:33
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I prefer the 'Men in Black' idea of all the marbles rather than the russian doll and of course nothingness exists - you never watched 'The Never Ending Story'.

... and I'm posting the above comment as everything else is way above my head.
Thu 19/06/03 at 00:09
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The thing is, those schemes don't actually let you 'buy' a star, or even officially name it after someone. All you actually get is a certificate declaring that in the view of this particular company, you have chosen the name of soem star or other.

It the equivalent of me sending a postcard to someone informing them that as far as I'm concerned, Portugal is now called 'Mary Foster', or somethign like that.

Anyway, back to the more interesting questions...

Skorp1on is right about the 'end' of the universe. The easiest way to imagine it is this:

Picture a cue ball. The cue ball has a finite surface area, but is unbounded - it has no limits in any direction. If you keep going in a straight line, you'll get back to where you started.

Picture now a beach ball instead. Surface area is still unbounded and finite, but much bigger than before. Our universe is the equivalent in 3D. Unbounded, yet finite. It's a little more complicated than that, as mass (i.e planets, suns, etc) 'bends' space - you won't get back to where you started if you keep going in a straight line, because there's no such thing as a straight line. The size and shape of our universe are determined entirely by the mass in it. The movement of the mass effetively makes the universe grow.

As for the fate of the universe, there are three possibilities, all dependant the amount of mass in the universe, as compared to the critical mass. If we're above critical mass, gravity will pull everytyhing back together in a big crunch. If we're below it, asll matter will dissipate and the temperature of the universe will drop to absolute zero. If we're exactly equal to the critical mass, we'll strike a balance between the two and the universe will remain at a constant size. There's a lot of debate in the scientific community as to which will happen.
Wed 18/06/03 at 22:36
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
cya, I gotta go now, i'll be back tommorow sometime here.
Wed 18/06/03 at 22:09
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
How much did it cost?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.