GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I got thinking..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/06/03 at 20:58
Regular
I was thinking about the universe and stuff and got thinking, fairly deeply.

You may or may not have heard of these places where you can buy distant stars and name them yourself. However these stars are suns in solar sytems far far away and there could well be life in plants orbitting these suns. Now if, as we are often told, there is life 'out there' then there could surely be another planet with another scheme like this and our sun may well have already been sold off for a few quid.

I am uncomfortable with this for a number of reasons. Firstly I don't like the idea of some far away alien guy owning the large firely ball of gas that is keeping us all alive right now. Secondly I don't think it is right to purchase something that cannot be owned. A planet can not be bought unless there is a current owner. There is no current owner of Earth, God you may argue is but I would disagree, and there cannot be owners of flaming balls of burning gas and rock. It is absurd to even try to sell something like that.

Anyway, whilst thinging about the universe I though about where the universe ends. We are told the universe is ever-expanding and can be proved by looking at red shift of stars and suchlike. However what is the universe expanding into? There must be something outside of the universe that the universe expands over, there cannot be just nothingness and suddenly becomes something. Nothingness doesn't exist. There are several conclusions I came to; that we are just a tiny part of a somewhat larger existance in another world or universe and our universe is just a part of it, and that universe is part of a larger universe and so on, like those russian dolls that all fit inside of each other. Another possibility I thought of was that everything just ends, like when you scroll right to the end of the map on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Perhaps nothingness does exist and it just cannot be proven.

At this point I felt really scared and insignificant on the large scale of things. So what do you think about 'everything' ?
Sat 21/06/03 at 02:24
"I love yo... lamp."
Skorp1on wrote:
> Unless Earth is the only planet with life, which quite frankly I think
> you have to be quite stubborn to believe.

Or believe in God.
Sat 21/06/03 at 00:19
Regular
"Mwahawahahahaha"
Skorp1on wrote:
> The human race, compared to the universe, is probably about as
> significant as a grain of sand in a desert.

more like a grain of sand in the world!!!!
Fri 20/06/03 at 21:10
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
Because the gas molecules are spread apart more than a solid, that's why you cant see through an opaque solid. Water molecules are in between, so you can see through them with limited visiblity. Also, Atoms can only be seen with an electron microscope, as you probably already know.
Fri 20/06/03 at 21:07
Regular
"The Red Shift"
surely nothingnessdoes not exist or the boundaries are being pushed because of drifting stars, eliptical comet routes. whati ,dont understand is how we can see at all, because air is made up of various atoms, which are all visible objects, so if the bunch together how can we see past them.
Fri 20/06/03 at 21:02
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
Found out more about Quantum Tunneling. Anyone interested?
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
What is nothingness,
If it is just an area where nothing exists, it would just be a pitch black space. You wouldn't be able to see because there wouldn't be any light produced by nearby stars, and it would have nothing to reflect off. Hi again Kyz.
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
What is nothingness,
If it is just an area where nothing exists, it would just be a pitch black space. You wouldn't be able to see because there wouldn't be any light produced by nearby stars, and it would have nothing to reflect off. Hi again Kyz.
Fri 20/06/03 at 20:30
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
just a birds-eye-view of the whole occupied
> universe. makes you think about things that just cannot be imagined.

Contradiction?
Fri 20/06/03 at 20:12
Regular
space does not end, but i believe that it only 'ends' when stars and planets and any form of material or being do not reach that far. so if i was to go to the boundary of everything in the universe, i could float out and be in nothingness. just think of a pitch black room with zero-gravity - and at one side of the room you can see everything. stars, planets, twinkles of light in the distance. no sound, no friction. nothing. just a birds-eye-view of the whole occupied universe. makes you think about things that just cannot be imagined.
Fri 20/06/03 at 19:50
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
RATM are proper Rap Metal.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.