GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you know about CGI?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/06/03 at 21:31
Regular
On Tuesday I have to give a ten minute presentation on CGI. I've prepared a video with footage of Willow (one of the first films to use CGI) The Abyss (a big breakthrough) Terminator 2 (the next big breakthrough) Indepdence Day, Phantom Menace, Pearl Harbour, Black Hawk Down, Blade 2, Spiderman (yes, I said Spiderman, not Spider-Man) Attack Of The Clones and probably some more I'm forgetting. I have a few facts about CGI (for example, Spielberg thought it would be blocky SNES style graphics before work on Jurassic Park started) and I can give a brief outline of how it's done, but apart from some pointless trivia, I don't know a heck of a lot. My video almost lasts 10 minutes by itself, but it'd be nice if I could give some more information.

Anyone know the first film to use CGI? I've heard it's Looker (made in the 80s) but I also heard The Black Hole used it (probably for the crazy effects at the end as they go through the black hole) and that was made before Looker. I can touch on how The Last Starfighter used CGI for all it's ships etc.

So anybody have ANY facts/triva/knowledge of computer generated imagery? Like how many effect shots were in certain films? How much the effects budget was for certain films? Anything you've seen on IMDB? I need some help!
Sun 15/06/03 at 21:34
Regular
"That's right!"
*writes*

Takes... a lot of... time.

Thanks, heh.
Sun 15/06/03 at 21:33
Regular
"\\"
I think all i know is that it takes alot of time.
Sun 15/06/03 at 21:31
Regular
"That's right!"
On Tuesday I have to give a ten minute presentation on CGI. I've prepared a video with footage of Willow (one of the first films to use CGI) The Abyss (a big breakthrough) Terminator 2 (the next big breakthrough) Indepdence Day, Phantom Menace, Pearl Harbour, Black Hawk Down, Blade 2, Spiderman (yes, I said Spiderman, not Spider-Man) Attack Of The Clones and probably some more I'm forgetting. I have a few facts about CGI (for example, Spielberg thought it would be blocky SNES style graphics before work on Jurassic Park started) and I can give a brief outline of how it's done, but apart from some pointless trivia, I don't know a heck of a lot. My video almost lasts 10 minutes by itself, but it'd be nice if I could give some more information.

Anyone know the first film to use CGI? I've heard it's Looker (made in the 80s) but I also heard The Black Hole used it (probably for the crazy effects at the end as they go through the black hole) and that was made before Looker. I can touch on how The Last Starfighter used CGI for all it's ships etc.

So anybody have ANY facts/triva/knowledge of computer generated imagery? Like how many effect shots were in certain films? How much the effects budget was for certain films? Anything you've seen on IMDB? I need some help!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.