GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSUs and Graphics cards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/03/09 at 12:24
"possibly impossible"
My brother has offered me a new Hiper PSU (580 watt Type-M) and I believe it will fit my ATX motherboard (Cuba from a Packard Bell i-media 2569 model).

Can anyone confirm this and give me some tips on replacing a PSU?

Also, the reason I'm doing this is because Packard Bell saw fit to only put a measely PSU in my PC case, so I need to upgrade to get a decent graphics card. Any ideas of a good (but fairly cheap) card that would play modern games and be as futureproof as possible?
Wed 25/03/09 at 17:23
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Or ditch the Packard Bell case and get a decent one like this with a corsair HX PSU. I've got one and it's a brilliant case. Big enough to live in!
Wed 25/03/09 at 17:08
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Links or its not true... this thread is getting a bit off track...
Wed 25/03/09 at 16:48
Regular
motomoto wrote:
> t1mmie wrote:
> >Or buy a phase change unit.. lol.
>
> ;)

;D

(btw, new Tt case has phase change preinstalled for like £400! I'm so getting that when I'm a millionaire. yes, 'when' -_-)

.. (I get the feeling I've already told you about that but oh well)
Wed 25/03/09 at 16:16
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
t1mmie wrote:
>Or buy a phase change unit.. lol.

;)
Wed 25/03/09 at 13:53
"possibly impossible"
Thanks to both of you for the advice.

I have a PCI-E slot which is currently being used by a GForce 7300 SE (which can't really cope with anything recent).

Luckily, my brother let me borrow the PSU to check the size, which will help.
Wed 25/03/09 at 13:09
Regular
motomoto wrote:
> Changing a Power Supply can be fairly
> simple, however physically getting it out of smaller cases can
> prove to be a pain.

Make sure that you actually measure your PSU and compare it with the one you consider buying. All too often are smaller PSUs built for smaller cases / lower power making it incredibly difficult to upgrade it without having to buy a new case too.

As long as you remember which bits you have connected to your motherboard and how many molex's etc. you are using and where then you should be fine.

I have an Antec Phantom 500. The main selling point is that it is completely silent - no fans. But this does mean that the whole thing acts as a heatsink so it does still get quite hot in your case.

Make sure your case is well ventilated, too, for better performance of your computer and the components in general. Or buy a phase change unit.. lol.
Wed 25/03/09 at 12:36
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hi PB,

I had a look for your specific Power Supply and it appears to be fine for your ATx mobo. Changing a Power Supply can be fairly simple, however physically getting it out of smaller cases can prove to be a pain. This can sometimes (not very likely) mean that you may need to remove other components to actually get it out of the case. No further tips really just make sure you remember to unplug it for the rest of your components! ^__^.

For graphics cards, currently I would suggest a ATi 4850 or 4830. Partly because I'm a big ATi fan but also because they are about £100 and will play most currently games with a good framerate. Obviously this depends of the other components of your computer. Care to inform us of some specs? Also do you know if its a PCI-E slot or AGP?
Wed 25/03/09 at 12:24
"possibly impossible"
My brother has offered me a new Hiper PSU (580 watt Type-M) and I believe it will fit my ATX motherboard (Cuba from a Packard Bell i-media 2569 model).

Can anyone confirm this and give me some tips on replacing a PSU?

Also, the reason I'm doing this is because Packard Bell saw fit to only put a measely PSU in my PC case, so I need to upgrade to get a decent graphics card. Any ideas of a good (but fairly cheap) card that would play modern games and be as futureproof as possible?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.