GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Reasons for and against the monarchy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/06/03 at 00:01
Regular
I myself can only think of reasons against such a system

But apparently we need a head of state and they 'make' money from tourism and errr that's about it.

So lets have a discussion

God Save the Queen Mum
Fri 13/06/03 at 09:34
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Sorry - brain not yet fully engaged.
Fri 13/06/03 at 09:32
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Get rid of the monarchy. They're all Germans, anyway.
Fri 13/06/03 at 09:31
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Virtuoso wrote:
> SHEEPY wrote:
>
> God Save the Queen Mum
> -------------
>
> Agreed.
>
> Even if she does f~~k all these days.

Except rot
Fri 13/06/03 at 08:48
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Actually, it may surprise you to know that I'm very much in favour of our royal family. Not in that horribly old fashioned "they do a marvelous job" sort of way that anyone with grandparents will be depressingly familiar with. No, I happen to think that although they are a bone idle bunch of semi-retarded morons who are vaguely aware that they get visited by a man called Tony every week in order for mummy to sign some documents to make laws, they are an economic boon to the country.

I realise that they do sap a sizable portion of taxes in order to finance their lifestyle (although I remain astounded that the Queen Mum managed to run up an overdraft in excess of £2 million; were the bank sending her nasty letters informing her that they would be charging her £10 for exceeding her authorised limit of £100? I somehow doubt it...) but they do bring in a vast amount of revenue simply by their very existence.
Tourists come to visit by the planeful, and many of them come to visit anything with a royal connection (particularly Americans which I find rather strange; they spent long enough trying to throw off the yoke of the oppressive and tyrannical British monarch so why are they so keen to immerse themselves in royal history? Do they see the castle and think it's a new Disneyland or something?).

Like many other European countries, we have something in common with Nepal in that we butchered our Monarch and abolished our royal family. This was all courtesy of old wart face, Oliver Cromwell. Unlike many other European countries (Spain excepted as they had their decades of dictatorship more recently under Franco, after which a constitutional monarchy was instated) we restored our monarchy in the shape of Charles II. Barring a couple of altercations which saw the crown switch hands to William of Orange, it has been passed down without too much incident and with pretty much all their pomp, ceremony, and ostentation intact.

This stands us in pretty good stead in the tourism industry. Lets face it, other than our heritage there's naff all reason why anyone would want to come to an island where the weather is frequently awful, the food could charitably said to be edible, and the only thing the people hate more than foreigners is somebody who lives about 5 miles down the road in a different village/town/city. So although the royals cost us a fortune, they make us a bigger one. If you have problems with this due to any inherent republicanism, I find that it helps to think of them as a sort of zoo. It costs a lot to maintain the exhibits due to their rarity, but people flock to see them for that very same reason. As long as the admission price is kept high enough then we'll keep making a profit from them.
Fri 13/06/03 at 04:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
They have a positive influence on our country, but i wouldnt be bothered if it stayed or went.
Fri 13/06/03 at 02:06
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
SHEEPY wrote:

God Save the Queen Mum
-------------

Agreed.

Even if she does f~~k all these days.
Fri 13/06/03 at 01:46
"I love yo... lamp."
It is a bit like a flag. Something to look up to, someone who is the embodiment of the country, who you would die for.

It is historical.

I like them.

Yes BEARDS is right, a proper monarchy would be able to get things done a bit better. I think if harry is ever king he might suspend parliaent and rule by martial law every so often.
Fri 13/06/03 at 00:17
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
They should do a proper Monarchy, sod all this democractic republic crap, lets have a good old monarchistic state with a clearly defined aristocracy who can lord it over the rest of us plebs. Then maybe we'll get some work done around here without Johnny Foreigner bossing us about and taking all our money away.

/Daily Mail.
Fri 13/06/03 at 00:01
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I myself can only think of reasons against such a system

But apparently we need a head of state and they 'make' money from tourism and errr that's about it.

So lets have a discussion

God Save the Queen Mum

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.