GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TOO many Sequels"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/02/01 at 17:27
Regular
If you consider the most anticipated titles for the playstation 2, you think of metal gear solid 2, Gran turismo 3, Wipeout 4, Resident evil 4, Then people complain about there being too many sequals. The only people to blame is the consumers, if your fed up with these franchises then dont buy them. The game developers are there to make money, and its not worth it to them to come up with new ideas. If somethinmg sells then why stop selling it?
We the consumer need to give them a reason to come up with fresh Ideas. It is then that we will see truly ground breaking titles. Think of the origonal Metal gear solid and Gran turismo, they were revolutionery, because they were origonal and different, big money was spent on them at a risk. So I encourage all developers to give us something New.
Tue 13/02/01 at 09:32
Hopefully the destructible environments, and real time liquid flow will do the trick ;-).
Mon 12/02/01 at 21:04
hi devo, by that comment i was refering to its origonality.
i think half-life was a great game, and for another game to rip off that idea and make money on it without adding something new is unexceptable to me.
Mon 12/02/01 at 09:38
rehanhaque - Could you explain your comment about Red Faction having promise as long as it's not another Half-Life? I'm not having a go here, I'm just curious as to what you mean. If it copies the story led aspect of Half Life (and has some decent AI), I think it could be great. Considering the critical acclaim HL has had, I don't think enough games have picked up on the immersive story involvement.

Sat 10/02/01 at 16:16
That's why I am pi$$ed off!!!!!
Sat 10/02/01 at 15:16
saesee wrote:
> Yeah! Look at Rayman, MGS, Abe's Oddysee...

... and uh...
> Jurassic Park II?

hey Sasee, Abes not going to apear on the PS2, he's gone to the X-box!
Sat 10/02/01 at 15:15
ok guys, point taken. I was a bit out of it when i wrote that. Indeed you are correct when you say origonal games have little hype around them. But the point i'm trying to make is that very few developers try something different or refreshing. For example if you've seen Dark Cloud, it seems like a rip off of Zelda, Its probably still very good as was Zelda but you see my point. Red Faction has potential as long as they dont turn it into another Half-Life.
Fri 09/02/01 at 21:22
Yeah! Look at Rayman, MGS, Abe's Oddysee...

... and uh... Jurassic Park II?
Fri 09/02/01 at 18:09
Regular
I LOVE sequels, and I have no idea why people moan so much about them.

Fri 09/02/01 at 17:44
There we are. Who said the PS2 lineup is cr@p?
Fri 09/02/01 at 08:43
Regular
"not dead"
devo wrote:

On the other hand, games that are not sequels are a
> bit of an unknown - I'm really looking forward to Dark Cloud, Red
> Faction and The Getaway, but it's difficult to tell if they will
> live up to their initial promise.

Indeed. Sony couldn't have built up any hype whatsoever by telling us titles that we'd never heard of, but as soon as a popular series is mentioned, everyone will get interested in it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.