GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who's that walking down the (Google) street?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/03/09 at 14:12
"possibly impossible"
Street views removed after complaints

So Google have this nice new idea for Google Maps, where you can view a street (if you happen to be looking at the few streets actually available, that is) and it's all quite good really, especially if you're trying to find somewhere and want to visualise it.

However, as always, the silly brigade come along and say 'ooh, there's a pic of me going in to an Adult shop' or 'oooh, I'm getting arrested for doing something naughty' and complain.

Well, boohoo. You're doing something you're ashamed of? Well maybe there's a lesson there for you? Honestly, this type of excuse for 'privacy protection' is pretty much for those who shouldn't be doing what they're doing anyway.

Which reminds me of a related story from today. This couple and their benefit fuelled trip around the world which was accidentally stopped when someone posted a picture of them on the internet during their cruise. Annoying that it took that long to find them out, to be honest.

Anyway. I'm sure there are some (very few) good reasons for some people taking pictures off the internet. Me? I say don't do anything in public that you don't want to be photograhed for...
Fri 03/04/09 at 10:55
Regular
Fri 03/04/09 at 10:47
"Are you sure?"
There are some ignorant people around!

All Google are doing is showing what's already in the public domain - i.e. what you can see by walking around.

The people with issues should in theory be directing their anger at aerial views (not just from Google) as these do show areas the general public can't normally see - back gardens, over gates etc.

You have to smile...

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 03/04/09 at 09:59
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
BBC News Article

Looks like some people are fighting back (apparently illegally), personally I don't see the problem with it, Google seem to be taking down any pictures at the request of individuals within it if asked.

On a related note, had a couple of people mention to me they have seen the car driving round Braintree, who knows in the next update you could feast your eyes on the wonder that is the Freeola offices.... o_O
Mon 23/03/09 at 08:42
Regular
If burglars want to rob a house, this will just save them from going out in the car and having a look in real-life that's all.

I don't think it matters if people's houses are on there. They are visible to the public anyway and Google's satellite view on Google Maps is just as, if not more intrusive than Street View.

After taking off number-plates and faces and other questionable things, what's left is only a dumbed-down version of what you would see if you were there anyway so I don't really see why people feel the need to moan.

Anyway, I found my uncle (and auntie) in Australia - he was mowing the front lawn :D
Sun 22/03/09 at 21:39
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
> After all, who's really going to target your house based on a
> picture?

Local burglars? You can check for side alleys, security systems, satellite dishes (meaning someone with money). It's not difficult to see reasons to be concerned.
Sun 22/03/09 at 20:42
"possibly impossible"
Well, Exmouth or Los Belones won't be there for a while unless they open it up to people to start helping them with the street level maps, but I think it's a great idea all the same.

After all, who's really going to target your house based on a picture?
Sat 21/03/09 at 08:01
Regular
"eat toast!"
Until i have my house on there, i won't know the pain of not having priavy. Till then, i will use google maps as a gateway to another country without going there. A trip to japan seems nice. Too bad the view i get are rubbish and makes me not want to go to japan at all.

Hell not even looking at paris and the effiel tower kills the urge to explorer the city.
Fri 20/03/09 at 16:45
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nin wrote:
> There is something about this that does make me feel a
> little uncomfortable, especially that my address including door
> number is on that pic.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. They're much further along with this in the US. So theres a picture of outside my US address, google even tells me the house number. Nothing wrong with the picture, it doesnt show anything but still theres a sense of disquiet about it being on there.
Fri 20/03/09 at 16:12
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Just found a very clear picture of my house. Pictures must have been taken over last summer because my window is wide open as usual. There is something about this that does make me feel a little uncomfortable, especially that my address including door number is on that pic.
Fri 20/03/09 at 14:12
"possibly impossible"
Street views removed after complaints

So Google have this nice new idea for Google Maps, where you can view a street (if you happen to be looking at the few streets actually available, that is) and it's all quite good really, especially if you're trying to find somewhere and want to visualise it.

However, as always, the silly brigade come along and say 'ooh, there's a pic of me going in to an Adult shop' or 'oooh, I'm getting arrested for doing something naughty' and complain.

Well, boohoo. You're doing something you're ashamed of? Well maybe there's a lesson there for you? Honestly, this type of excuse for 'privacy protection' is pretty much for those who shouldn't be doing what they're doing anyway.

Which reminds me of a related story from today. This couple and their benefit fuelled trip around the world which was accidentally stopped when someone posted a picture of them on the internet during their cruise. Annoying that it took that long to find them out, to be honest.

Anyway. I'm sure there are some (very few) good reasons for some people taking pictures off the internet. Me? I say don't do anything in public that you don't want to be photograhed for...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.