GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"phpBB3 Freeola Installation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/03/09 at 15:45
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
What is phpBB?

phpBB is a standalone dissussion board (forum) written in PHP. It includes features such as posting/replying/editing messages, private messages, private forums, user and anonymous posting, robust theming, user ranking by posts or by special, admin definable ranks, and much more.

http://www.phpbb.com

This guide will take you step by step installing phpBB3 on your Freeola Hosted web site.

Requirements

Freeola Web Hosting (Free or VIP Hosting)
MySQL Database (Freedom MySQL or VIP MySQL)

How to

1. Login to your MyFreeola account.

2. Select 'Optional MySQL Database' from the left-hand menu. On the following page select which type of database you currently have (either VIP MySQL or Freedom MySQL) or if needed sign up for the relevant service. You can then select to View or Edit your current databases.

3. You will now been shown your MySQL database information (Username and Password), you will need to make a note of these details, as they will be required to set up phpBB.

4. Whilst we are logged into your MyFreeola account, we will need to obtain your FTP details. You can find all of your FTP details from the 'My Websites' page, and then selecting the web site you wish to install phpBB on. If you do not have a site already you can add one by pressing the "Add New Web Site" button, once you follow the appropriate steps you will be given your FTP information.

5. You're now ready to download the phpBB installation files, these can be obtained from the phpBB web site (http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/). Once you have downloaded them, extract them to a local directory on your computer.

6. We now need to upload the files that you have just extracted on your computer. You will need to upload the files to the 'htdocs' folder, you can upload the files to a sub-directory if you wish. We generally suggest to upload your files using FileZilla.

For instructions of using FileZilla to upload your files please refer to our FileZilla FTP guide (http://freeola.com/support/ftp_filezilla.php)

7. You will only need to complete this step if you are using the VIP Hosting. If you are using the free hosting service, please skip to step 8.

Once the files have uploaded successfully, you will need to change the permissions of the "config.php" file. You can do this by right clicking on the file in FileZilla and selecting 'File Attributes...'. You will then need to change the number that you can see to '666'and click 'Ok'.

You will also need to change the permissions of the following directories to the numerical value of "777": store/, cache/, files/ and images/avatars/upload/.

8. Now you will need to visit your web site the phpBB3 Install folder location. If you've just uploaded the files to the htdocs folder then you would need to visit http://yourdomain.com/, if you uploaded to a sub directory then it would be http://yourdomain.com/yourfolder/.

9. You will now be shown the phpBB installation page, you will need to choose the 'Install' tab from the top menu. The requirements page will ensure that your web space is suitable for the phpBB installation, if you have completed the above tasks then you will see the 'Start Install' button from the bottom of the page. You will be prompted for the following information.

Option Description

Database type: Generally you can leave this at the default setting (MySQL/MySQL with MySQLli Extension)

Database server hostname or DSN: For VIP MySQL with VIP Hosting you can set this to "localhost", for Web Freedom this needs to be "mysql.freeola.net".

Database server port: This field can be left blank.

Database name: You should have written your database name down earlier, if you havn't you can find it from the VIP Hosting page of your MyFreeola account. If you are using Freedom MySQL this will be your SR number, which can be found on the "Optional MySQL database" page of your MyFreeola account.

Database password: This password would have been supplied at the same page in your MyFreeola account as your database name/username.

Prefix for tables in database: This is very useful if your looking at having multiple installations of phpBB on your web site. You can leave this as default if you just want one installation.

Once you are happy that you have supplied the correct information, press the 'Proceed to next step' button at the bottom of the page. Once you have done so, you will be told whether the connection was successful, or whether information needs correcting.

Once completed, you will now be asked a few questions regarding the Administrator for the account, however the all the configuration and installation of phpBB3 has been completed.

Enjoy :)
Tue 03/01/12 at 00:37
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I've been looking at providing a free forum for a study group to move from facebook (for obvious reasons!) and phpBB + sqlite seemed like a nice lightweight solution. Also this needs to be free as the member will obviously be students!

I got to a point in the setup using a combination of phpSQLiteAdmin / sqlite for linux / and phpBB where I was nearly there. I got past the database setup page, and on to the ACP.

Then I got stuck! sooo close!

Initially I was getting an error message about style data not being available which didn't make any sense and all info on the phpBB forum seemed to refer to upgraded or moving of existing forums as the issue...which obviously wouldn't apply. However another issue apparently might have been permissions so I changed everything to be 777 (I know OTT but it's not working anyway!)

bizarrely I now can't even get the forum index file to load - this is the file

http://www.rhs-study.ukforum.com/phpbb/index.php

when I try to load I get the page could not be found etc (well you can see if you go there)

I'm guessing I've either messed something up on the permissions side? or something else... I'm out of ideas and I'm going to sleep on it...hopefully I will come back tomorrow and my basic error will be found !
Tue 17/03/09 at 13:42
Regular
This should go in the best of, actually. Many people will want to know how to install forums on their site.

Although PHPBB is probably the best free software, you could also add that the installation process is very similar for all forum software packages and take a slightly more generalised slant on it :) Just a suggestion.
Mon 16/03/09 at 16:47
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Corrr! Cut me some slack!
Mon 16/03/09 at 16:45
Regular
motomoto wrote:
> Thanks Neckarb, Ill update my original post with an explanation.

(Also maybe a link to their site? ^_^)
Mon 16/03/09 at 16:23
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Thanks Neckarb, Ill update my original post with an explanation.
Mon 16/03/09 at 16:12
Regular
"One man, no shoes.."
Not bad at all, seems like someones been putting in extra effort at the office! I'd recommend it as well, although I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure what it is.
Mon 16/03/09 at 16:00
Regular
Nice tutorial Moto.

I also recommend PHPBB. These forums are really, really easy to use - and now with your guide - even easier to install ^_^

(Wow, it's at version 3 already..!)
Mon 16/03/09 at 15:45
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
What is phpBB?

phpBB is a standalone dissussion board (forum) written in PHP. It includes features such as posting/replying/editing messages, private messages, private forums, user and anonymous posting, robust theming, user ranking by posts or by special, admin definable ranks, and much more.

http://www.phpbb.com

This guide will take you step by step installing phpBB3 on your Freeola Hosted web site.

Requirements

Freeola Web Hosting (Free or VIP Hosting)
MySQL Database (Freedom MySQL or VIP MySQL)

How to

1. Login to your MyFreeola account.

2. Select 'Optional MySQL Database' from the left-hand menu. On the following page select which type of database you currently have (either VIP MySQL or Freedom MySQL) or if needed sign up for the relevant service. You can then select to View or Edit your current databases.

3. You will now been shown your MySQL database information (Username and Password), you will need to make a note of these details, as they will be required to set up phpBB.

4. Whilst we are logged into your MyFreeola account, we will need to obtain your FTP details. You can find all of your FTP details from the 'My Websites' page, and then selecting the web site you wish to install phpBB on. If you do not have a site already you can add one by pressing the "Add New Web Site" button, once you follow the appropriate steps you will be given your FTP information.

5. You're now ready to download the phpBB installation files, these can be obtained from the phpBB web site (http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/). Once you have downloaded them, extract them to a local directory on your computer.

6. We now need to upload the files that you have just extracted on your computer. You will need to upload the files to the 'htdocs' folder, you can upload the files to a sub-directory if you wish. We generally suggest to upload your files using FileZilla.

For instructions of using FileZilla to upload your files please refer to our FileZilla FTP guide (http://freeola.com/support/ftp_filezilla.php)

7. You will only need to complete this step if you are using the VIP Hosting. If you are using the free hosting service, please skip to step 8.

Once the files have uploaded successfully, you will need to change the permissions of the "config.php" file. You can do this by right clicking on the file in FileZilla and selecting 'File Attributes...'. You will then need to change the number that you can see to '666'and click 'Ok'.

You will also need to change the permissions of the following directories to the numerical value of "777": store/, cache/, files/ and images/avatars/upload/.

8. Now you will need to visit your web site the phpBB3 Install folder location. If you've just uploaded the files to the htdocs folder then you would need to visit http://yourdomain.com/, if you uploaded to a sub directory then it would be http://yourdomain.com/yourfolder/.

9. You will now be shown the phpBB installation page, you will need to choose the 'Install' tab from the top menu. The requirements page will ensure that your web space is suitable for the phpBB installation, if you have completed the above tasks then you will see the 'Start Install' button from the bottom of the page. You will be prompted for the following information.

Option Description

Database type: Generally you can leave this at the default setting (MySQL/MySQL with MySQLli Extension)

Database server hostname or DSN: For VIP MySQL with VIP Hosting you can set this to "localhost", for Web Freedom this needs to be "mysql.freeola.net".

Database server port: This field can be left blank.

Database name: You should have written your database name down earlier, if you havn't you can find it from the VIP Hosting page of your MyFreeola account. If you are using Freedom MySQL this will be your SR number, which can be found on the "Optional MySQL database" page of your MyFreeola account.

Database password: This password would have been supplied at the same page in your MyFreeola account as your database name/username.

Prefix for tables in database: This is very useful if your looking at having multiple installations of phpBB on your web site. You can leave this as default if you just want one installation.

Once you are happy that you have supplied the correct information, press the 'Proceed to next step' button at the bottom of the page. Once you have done so, you will be told whether the connection was successful, or whether information needs correcting.

Once completed, you will now be asked a few questions regarding the Administrator for the account, however the all the configuration and installation of phpBB3 has been completed.

Enjoy :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.