GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"the future of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/02/01 at 01:53
Regular
Whats the gaming world coming to, in 1989 the Master system was released and then in 1995 the Playstation this made computer gaming change from 2D to 3D all in the space of 6 years. whats next the speed of the consoles being as faster as the latest PC's (1.5GHz) our the bits being doubled to 256bits. As everyone knows Sony have tripled the speed and bits of their old console, in the Playstation 2. Imagine what their next console is going to be like. What are the consoles going to be like in 15-20 years? Will the computer game characters look real and act like a normal person? Nobody knows what they will be like, but the way they are going at the moment they might just be able to do this. In the future hopefully game developers can exploit their ideas into a game that not only puzzles your mind but lets you take control and twist the story of the game using your own imagination. Could developers create a game where you can change the ending of the game buy every battle you win or lose, how many people/monsters you kill or even every mistake you make? Look at future games like Metal gear solid 2, Bouncer and Tekken tag tournament (which uses the emotion chip) the graphics on these games are astounding but imagine if they look like our reality. Sony, Nintendo and sega have all taken huge steps in the development of their consoles but they could take it alot further and create consoles beyond our imagination. Imagine game developers created games where if your character was hurt or was afraid or even shocked, it would show their emotion in immense detail (better than the emotion chip), that would be amazing. All these ideas may seem distant but the way the gaming companies are going at the moment it may all become true. This may seem like it will take along time to do but the way everything is going at the moment it will become true a lot quicker than we expect.

If there was VR devices for the next generation consoles, i think it would really boost todays gaming rather having to use a control pad with an analogue stick it would really set the mood for a first person shoot 'em up but the only game it would suit if you think about it but it would make it feel alot more if they had an a rumble pack feature fitted in with it. Wouldn't it be good if they mixed a console with a virtual reality head set were instead of a pad you could buy these special gloves and guns and attach them to the VR head set and instead of using discs it could be internet compatible and you just download the games. That would good for your wallets so instead of forking out wads of money on games you could be spending it on other stuff. Or instead of that downloading business you could link it up to your Dolphin or PS2 and just play the games of that.
Wed 07/02/01 at 01:53
Whats the gaming world coming to, in 1989 the Master system was released and then in 1995 the Playstation this made computer gaming change from 2D to 3D all in the space of 6 years. whats next the speed of the consoles being as faster as the latest PC's (1.5GHz) our the bits being doubled to 256bits. As everyone knows Sony have tripled the speed and bits of their old console, in the Playstation 2. Imagine what their next console is going to be like. What are the consoles going to be like in 15-20 years? Will the computer game characters look real and act like a normal person? Nobody knows what they will be like, but the way they are going at the moment they might just be able to do this. In the future hopefully game developers can exploit their ideas into a game that not only puzzles your mind but lets you take control and twist the story of the game using your own imagination. Could developers create a game where you can change the ending of the game buy every battle you win or lose, how many people/monsters you kill or even every mistake you make? Look at future games like Metal gear solid 2, Bouncer and Tekken tag tournament (which uses the emotion chip) the graphics on these games are astounding but imagine if they look like our reality. Sony, Nintendo and sega have all taken huge steps in the development of their consoles but they could take it alot further and create consoles beyond our imagination. Imagine game developers created games where if your character was hurt or was afraid or even shocked, it would show their emotion in immense detail (better than the emotion chip), that would be amazing. All these ideas may seem distant but the way the gaming companies are going at the moment it may all become true. This may seem like it will take along time to do but the way everything is going at the moment it will become true a lot quicker than we expect.

If there was VR devices for the next generation consoles, i think it would really boost todays gaming rather having to use a control pad with an analogue stick it would really set the mood for a first person shoot 'em up but the only game it would suit if you think about it but it would make it feel alot more if they had an a rumble pack feature fitted in with it. Wouldn't it be good if they mixed a console with a virtual reality head set were instead of a pad you could buy these special gloves and guns and attach them to the VR head set and instead of using discs it could be internet compatible and you just download the games. That would good for your wallets so instead of forking out wads of money on games you could be spending it on other stuff. Or instead of that downloading business you could link it up to your Dolphin or PS2 and just play the games of that.
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:34
"Darkness, always"
Consoles will never be truly superior to PCs.

This is because a lot more money goes in from a lot more companies to research better computers and computer components.

Consoles generally have to rely on technology already developed, and this is becoming more the trend.
In 5 years time, it is likely that you will have to install games onto your consoles, otherwise you will be swapping DVDs every 5 minutes, unless a bigger information medium has come along by then.

As far as I can tell, eventually there will come a time when information can only be crammed into so small a space, and then, with the increasing complexity(code wise) of games, consoles will either have to have games installed, or start having to come out with 5-6 discs or more that need to be swapped about.

I forsee a future where consoles more closely approximate PCs in the way that they are used, but can never be better than PCs, because as soon as they are released, the technology contained within them is obsolete(and already available for PCs anyway), where this is not true with a PC as you can update it anytime you wish.

IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:47
Regular
"not dead"
PC: Multitasking. Play games, surf internet, use a database, write a spreadsheet and send a letter.

Consoles: Plays games.

They aren't the same, so there's no point in even comparing them.
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:50
"Darkness, always"
Good point.

I'm just trying to look to the future here...

It's Orange.

IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:18
Regular
"not dead"
***[email protected]*** wrote:

> Dolphin

Dolphin? That's 'so' last year. ;-)
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:44
Why do we have to have a 1000 word count on the reveiws?

I've writtena a boss reveiw of Majoras Mask but it's 9000 words long.
GODAMMIT
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:23
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> In 5 years time, it is likely that you will have to
> install games onto your consoles, otherwise you will be
> swapping DVDs every 5 minutes, unless a bigger
> information medium has come along by
> then.
There a Russina scientist who (last year+) developed a CD/DVD style disk than can hold 50 times as much information as current DVD's..... Doh!

> As far as I can tell, eventually there will come a time
> when information can only be crammed into so small a
> space, and then, with the increasing complexity(code
> wise) of games, consoles will either have to have games
> installed, or start having to come out with 5-6 discs or
> more that need to be swapped about.

I remember the days when games like Monkey Island 2, Ulyima 7, etc... had 10+ floppys in a box... happy days :)

> I forsee a future where consoles more closely approximate
> PCs in the way that they are used, but can never be
> better than PCs, because as soon as they are released,
> the technology contained within them is obsolete(and
> already available for PCs anyway), where this is not
> true with a PC as you can update it anytime you wish.

Havnt we had those days already? From the Apple to the Amiga+... consoles are going that way again...

PC's upgradability is no longer that much of a plus... since for the past few years, it worked out cheaper to just buy a new PC every 2 years than it is to upgrade the components...

Building PCs from components used to be half the cost of purchasing from a manufacturer, but due to the competitve market place, and the bulk purchasing by manufacuteres it's cheaper to buy a PC than to stick one together yourself...

--
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. think I've forgotten this before
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:25
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
nine thousand words... or nine thousand characters?
Wed 07/02/01 at 14:25
"Darkness, always"
I stuck mine(PC) together for under £700

Market value is about £1300...

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 15:32
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Whats your spec?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.