GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"another thing..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/05/03 at 21:25
Regular
what do you think is a reasonable payment to a web developer, developing a back end system which would include the following :-
Login/Registration system (for users and admin)
Whole backend admin system/content management system
Bidding System
Chat Forum
Unique pages for user login

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, just want to confirm some of my thinkings, as i'm worried i might be over estimating, or even under estimating costs!!!!

Ta very much :)
Sun 01/06/03 at 15:30
Regular
""
as well as you well know TN :)

i'm very serious. you said "nearly every consultancy in the UK will exploit their new clients" . and i still disagree with that sweeping statement, but each to their own. im not here to justify myself, my working practises or ethics.

anyhow, we're going off kirstys original question.

and for the record it takes a lot than someone even with views such as yourself to upset me.
Sun 01/06/03 at 14:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dude, arguing against ajg isn't going to work.
Sun 01/06/03 at 13:14
Regular
ajg wrote:
> I work for a consultancy and my offical job title is "Senior
> Consultant". Make what of it you will. I have a lot of experience
> in many technologies including building websites, so i wouldnt class
> myself as a just web consultant.
>
> And imho youre still talking out your tight a$s if you can honestly
> say you can back up your statement that nearly all UK consultancies
> will try and screw their client. I just dont believe that at all. But
> unlike you i havent worked with nearly all uk consultancies so what
> would i know.

Are you serious? Why would either myself or yourself need to meet every consultancy in th UK to determine their business pracitises? You have a lot of experience working in the industry, you base your opinion on what you have encountered, and I base mine on what I have encountered. I dont see how you have become so upset over the whole issue. And I would like to point out that I never said consultancies screw their customers, I said exploit. These are two words with a vast amount of difference between them.
>
> As in all walks of life, not only the IT industry, not everyone is as
> honest as yourself.
Sun 01/06/03 at 12:41
Regular
""
I work for a consultancy and my offical job title is "Senior Consultant". Make what of it you will. I have a lot of experience in many technologies including building websites, so i wouldnt class myself as a just web consultant.

And imho youre still talking out your tight a$s if you can honestly say you can back up your statement that nearly all UK consultancies will try and screw their client. I just dont believe that at all. But unlike you i havent worked with nearly all uk consultancies so what would i know.

As in all walks of life, not only the IT industry, not everyone is as honest as yourself.
Sun 01/06/03 at 10:33
Regular
> Thats a very broad statement.

Yes it is really isnt it.

> So am I a thief? Hope youre not saying that, or that you can back it >up. Or are you just basing that narrow-minded opinion on one experience > of your friends friend?

Are you a web consultant? You never said explicitly said that you were one. And I am not basing my opinion on any of my friends experiences, I base it on the experience (all be it limited) of the last three years where I have had the misfortune to work with organisations who have been abused by consultants in different fields eductaion, hardware and internet.

My statement might have been a bit strong, but you cannot dispute the fact that nearly every consultancy in the UK will try to exploit new or niave customers for all the cash they can get out of them.
Sun 01/06/03 at 09:22
Regular
""
Agent Bob wrote:
>
> They are, on the whole to people new to the area, theives.
>
Thats a very broad statement. So am I a thief? Hope youre not saying that, or that you can back it up. Or are you just basing that narrow-minded opinion on one experience of your friends friend?
Sat 31/05/03 at 21:00
Regular
ajg wrote:
> I wasnt offering my services, Kirsty asked the question about rates
> and experience and i gave her an example. As a one-off project im sure
> 2k sounds ok, although youre very quick off the mark quoting without
> seeing any kind of spec. Youll only make that mistake once in real
> life.

I never said you were
>
> There is no need to steer clear of consultants at all if you pick a
> good firm or a good contractor. I can give you many examples of where
> the company im involved with has saved businesses many millions of
> pounds by redesigning and improving their business practises and
> applications.

They are, on the whole to people new to the area, theives.

> A lot of the time it is more cost effective to outsource a project to
> a consultancy. That way you can have the benefits of their experience
> without the need for your own team of developers. Thats why you pay
> the premium prices - you get them in to do the work without the
> benefits a fulltime employee would expect... overtime, sick pay,
> redundancy, it support department etc etc.
>
> You can 'heh' and quote stuff about friends of friends all you like.
> Take what i have to say and you might learn from it, or disregard it.
> I aint fussed.

So fussed you penned a reply.

If anyone is interested in a decent web based content management system, try: http://www.endzone.co.uk/. It works, i know i helped build it for a 'heh' friend.

> Take what i have to say and you might learn from it, or disregard it.
> I aint fussed.

Well, ditto, but I hope all different points of view here aid to making an informed decision.
Sat 31/05/03 at 18:19
Regular
""
I wasnt offering my services, Kirsty asked the question about rates and experience and i gave her an example. As a one-off project im sure 2k sounds ok, although youre very quick off the mark quoting without seeing any kind of spec. Youll only make that mistake once in real life.

There is no need to steer clear of consultants at all if you pick a good firm or a good contractor. I can give you many examples of where the company im involved with has saved businesses many millions of pounds by redesigning and improving their business practises and applications.

A lot of the time it is more cost effective to outsource a project to a consultancy. That way you can have the benefits of their experience without the need for your own team of developers. Thats why you pay the premium prices - you get them in to do the work without the benefits a fulltime employee would expect... overtime, sick pay, redundancy, it support department etc etc.

You can 'heh' and quote stuff about friends of friends all you like. Take what i have to say and you might learn from it, or disregard it. I aint fussed.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:07
Regular
Miserableman wrote:
> !#%&
>
> I could do that, and I wouldn't expect more than about £2K total
> for it. Do all web developers earn stupid amounts of money like that,
> or just the severely top-end ones?
>
> If I was paying someone £500 a day to do that kind of work, I'd
> expect it done in a week or less, heh.

Steer clear of consultancys unless you belong to a fat bloated organisation with more levels of desicion making than sense. I have a friend who has just started a CM system on the internet and he charges £43 a month for people to use it.

As for that site spec, you could do it for even less than 2k.
Sat 31/05/03 at 01:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
!#%&

I could do that, and I wouldn't expect more than about £2K total for it. Do all web developers earn stupid amounts of money like that, or just the severely top-end ones?

If I was paying someone £500 a day to do that kind of work, I'd expect it done in a week or less, heh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.