GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where are the games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/02/01 at 18:29
Regular
Why are alot of the games taking time to come on the market they have had plenty of time to produce these games.
Are they all waiting for the xbox or what.
My special interest was waiting for the new oddworld.
Wed 04/03/09 at 16:14
"The Boss Lady"
Montage Film Reviews freelancer writer Rob Gallagher MSt. has written a review of 'The Prestige' 2006 (dir. Christopher Nolan) in which he elucidates how it engages with key tropes from Nineteenth century gothic literature in order to mount a critique of modern identity formation.

He also takes time to briefly consider its examination of gender roles and the power struggles between its characters.

To read the review see HERE
Mon 12/02/01 at 11:57
Regular
"not dead"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

If I'm honest - that worries me.
> You would expect (well, I would) that in Nintendo's situation, they
> would be keen to convince people that there system will be
> competitive. Not releasing such info could potentially be damaging,
> as it can be interpreted in a number of ways...

1. Do the missing
> stats show or imply that the machine is under-powered?

2. Are
> they still trying to tweak hardware to improve those particular
> specs?

3. Are they, as you say, not power-hungry, and confident
> that it will stand up well in the face of PS2 and X-Box?

Nintendo have a habit of remaining tight lipped about what they're doing until shortly before the launch. I'm sure that all specs and release dates will be revealed at E3, as Nintendo have promised.

>My other major concerns
> are:

3. Will it be buried
> under another pile of 'upgrade' games: Super Mario³ (that
> should be a cube, in case it doesn't come out right!), Donkey
> Kong³ etc., in much the same way as many of the original N64
> titles all ended in '64'.

I'm not sayng there was anything
> wrong with those games, but I believe Ninendo really need to do
> something new.

The thing is these games were new, in everything but name. They had elements of gameplay previously unseen in console games.

Besides, Pokemon was new, look at how that took off.

However, I do - sincerely - wish them good luck
> with it, because if the Cube 'fails' I can see another Sega
> situation arising.

It will never be another Sega situation as long as Nintendo are turning in a profit, and last year they made more money than any other company in the gaming industry.

Whilst the GameBoy is still selling so well Nintendo will remain profitable, and as a result, they won't need to develop games for other platforms.
Mon 12/02/01 at 11:57
Surely it would be X-Box SP1? ;-)

Personally I'd like all the consoles on the way to reach a certain level of popularity. Whether that be moderate, or widespread. Competition will stop whoever is currently top of the heap in the console market from getting complacent. I mean, look what's happened with Microsoft on the PC side of things. It's almost too easy for them there.

It's also good for us consumers as we should end up getting more innovative hardware, and at cheaper prices. OK, on the negative side not everyone may be able to buy all the platforms (or even want to), so you miss out on games which are unavailable on whatever you currently own. Also development on 3 or 4 platforms will take longer than just the 1 (ie. longer waits, or lower quality). But we need good machines to run the stuff in the first place. And the freedom of choice to choose the platform that suits us.

None of the new machines will be rubbish (despite some of the comments you get on these forums!). There's been too much time and money invested to ship out something that's not even going to be competitive. Each machine will have it's strengths and weaknesses. Whether that be a certain part of it's hardware, or the game quantity/quality.

There really is no point slating someone else's choice of console. The main thing is if you're happy with what you've got.

PS. Brownie points for anyone who can spot the devo song in the above ;-)
Mon 12/02/01 at 00:51
"High polygon count"
> The
> demos did indeed look a lot better than anything on the PS2 at the
> moment.

And the original PS2 demos looked better than anything on PS2 at the moment! Demos are not an accurate yardstick by which to judge any platform. (I do hope this isn't going to degenerate into another round of MBTY!)

> The X-Box is going to reach it's
> potential quickly. The PS2 has got a long way to go yet.

That may be true. But should we not be wary of any platform which reaches its full potential quickly? If I knew that current PS2 games were about the best that could be acheived, I wouldn't have bothered. Any system reaching its potential within months of launch would leave little room for future improvement, and as such may have a shortened shelf life. Then again, that would be nothing new for a Microsoft product... they probably expect to release X-Box 2 within 12-18 months! :-)

> And although the PS2 will
> never catch up with the X-Box or the Gamecube

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised as time goes by. We'll get those blinkers off of you yet! (Apologies to The Game who has already had his eyes opened, even if still doesn't want a PS2.)

> As far as I can see anyway,
> graphics are not the most important factor that sells a game.

I never claimed they were! As I explained below to Mr Ruler, I simply said that - judging from the screenshots - the Munch game wasn't much better than the PS2 version we'd seen earlier. One of Oddworld Inhabitants claims when they jumped ship was that they wanted ultra-smooth, video-quality, jaggie-free graphics. You only have to look at the screenshots on the DR site to see that they have clearly failed to acheive that.

> Oh yeah, why do I keep hearing that the X-Box
> has the best specs? IT HASN'T!

On paper, I'd say it has. But specs on paper aren't worth anything in the real world - anyone with an ounce of common sense and an unbiased opinion will know that. The only true test is to wait for real games on the final, released product - then judge.

> X-Box has VERY simular specs to
> the Gamecube. It's just Nintendo aren't power hungry enough to put
> raw numbers down, and put realistic ones down instead.

There's a lot of unknown info about the GameCube - all spec lists I've seen have some 'vital' info listed as "N/A".

If I'm honest - that worries me. You would expect (well, I would) that in Nintendo's situation, they would be keen to convince people that there system will be competitive. Not releasing such info could potentially be damaging, as it can be interpreted in a number of ways...

1. Do the missing stats show or imply that the machine is under-powered?

2. Are they still trying to tweak hardware to improve those particular specs?

3. Are they, as you say, not power-hungry, and confident that it will stand up well in the face of PS2 and X-Box?

I know that you are confident Grix, and the machine does seem to stand up well at the moment. But as the Dreamcast has unfortunately proven, a well-specified machine with good games, does not guarantee success in the face of stiff opposition.

My other major concerns are:

1. Even with 'all bottlenecks removed', it is still a 64-bit system.

2. That odd mini-DVD format.

3. Will it be buried under another pile of 'upgrade' games: Super Mario³ (that should be a cube, in case it doesn't come out right!), Donkey Kong³ etc., in much the same way as many of the original N64 titles all ended in '64'.

I'm not sayng there was anything wrong with those games, but I believe Ninendo really need to do something new.

However, I do - sincerely - wish them good luck with it, because if the Cube 'fails' I can see another Sega situation arising.
Sun 11/02/01 at 22:18
Regular
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you here again Wookiee.

The demos did indeed look a lot better than anything on the PS2 at the moment.

(And the next person who compares specs to find the best console will be shot.)

BUT.

The X-Box is going to reach it's potential quickly. The PS2 has got a long way to go yet. The demos can definetly be done on the PS2, and in a few years time you will see games all over the place like this. And although the PS2 will never catch up with the X-Box or the Gamecube, I expect it will do a good deal of damage graphics wise.

As far as I can see anyway, graphics are not the most important factor that sells a game. Colin Mcrae Rally on the PSX had awful graphics, but was great fun to play! Oddworlds game on the X-Box did not look in the slightest bit fun, and Malice looked very good. But expect not a lot from Microsoft, as anything on the X-Box you will see on the PS2 anyway.

What about me and my Gamecube?

I'll be happy playing Metroid thanks...

Oh yeah, why do I keep hearing that the X-Box has the best specs? IT HASN'T!

X-Box has VERY simular specs to the Gamecube. It's just Nintendo aren't power hungry enough to put raw numbers down, and put realistic ones down instead.
Sun 11/02/01 at 21:04
"High polygon count"
> If you dare to say the PS2 graphics look better than X-Box graphics
> then you are seriously mistaken.
> How could anyone justify this? If
> you look at the specifications of the X-Box then you will see what
> it is capable of.

I didn't make any such claim - I simply said that the latest X-Box screenshots didn't look any better than the last shots of the PS2 version that were shown.

> I believe that most of you who think PS2 is better
> than X-BOX are just saying that because you spent all your money on
> the PS2 that now you do not have any money to get the X-Box.

You can believe what you like, my friend. I have plenty of money to buy any console I want, and if you actually take the time to read and digest my last post, you will see that I have not ruled out buying an X-Box.

Sun 11/02/01 at 12:25
Regular
To Ruler Of The World:
Before you come here and argue about stuff you don`t understand, could you please read previous entries on other topics made by people such as Wookiee Monster and Meka_Dragon, who have already discussed this topic with many others. There are many debates about the meaning of specs, the related prices, the eventual capabilities, wll of which you have not considered in your response.
I do not pretend to know what exactly is going on with all the consoles and how they work, but I can read, and as a result I have learned a great deal about gaming and consoles whilst I have been visiting these discussion boards, so I know for a fact that you don`t have a clue what you are talking about.
Sun 11/02/01 at 10:36
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Yes, everything you just said is common sense.

But not everyone wants to buy the console with the most powerful specs. People buy a console to play games (obviously) so they want to have good games on the console, right? And PS2 has that, if you look at the likes of TTT,SSX, Wild wild racing, Timesplitters and the games in the future which will be the likes of Grand Theft Auto 3D, Red Faction, Grand Turismo a-spec, Half life, Metal Gear Solid 2…I could go on and on, that will attract people to the PS2. But when people here that the X-box is so much more powerful they go onto that console. Don’t be a sheep and follow others, go with your heart :P

If you don’t want to buy the PS2, don’t buy one, if you want a X-Box (if that is what they call it) then buy one. Simple as.
Sun 11/02/01 at 02:12
If you dare to say the PS2 graphics look better than X-Box graphics then you are seriously mistaken.
How could anyone justify this? If you look at the specifications of the X-Box then you will see what it is capable of.

Also look at the PS2 Specs and you will see the difference.

I believe that most of you who think PS2 is better than X-BOX are just saying that because you spent all your money on the PS2 that now you do not have any money to get the X-Box.

Well let me tell you this, next when a new released console comes out("PS2")make sure that there are no better consoles released ("X-Box") soon after the new console coming out("PS2").

By the way reply to this if you are in favour of what I believe.
Sat 10/02/01 at 11:51
Well done Wookiee Monster, you tell it like it is!

(I think he deserves a game-a-day for that)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.