GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"can someone help with my new pc, monitor wont work"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/05/03 at 13:15
Regular
the pc turns on fine, fans work, cdrw works, lights come on, but my monitor light stays orange.
Sat 31/05/03 at 15:34
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Agent Bob wrote:
> Tóm wrote:
> Tom is right. If there is a problem with a machines input or output
> devices it will issue a number of beeps as soon as it starts up from
> the pc speaker. I cant remember how many beeps there is for no
> monitor, but im sure its out on the internet somewhere.
>
> Well it's different for every motherboard, so check your manual or the
> manufacturer's website.
>
> Does your graphics card have a TV out? If it does, try connecting
> your
> pc to a TV and see if you get a picture.
>
> I doubt this will work as more often than not TV-out has to be enabled
> in software before it will do anything. Also, the display you see at
> post (I can;t remember what it's called... VGA?) is designed to work
> 100% of the time. It's a standard. If the graphics card isn't putting
> out that, it won't put out anything.

Hi,

Yes VGA is a standard, but it is a standard for displaying graphics in a VGA monitor. In many cases you will find that a TV out on a graphics card will work even before windows starts up.
>
> Lastly, is your monitor one of these that connects to a psu or
> directly to the mains? If it connects to the mains, have the fuse in
> the plug checked

Ok, thing is if he is using an older monitor, or the type I described above then maybe the fuse in the plug is the wrong type for the voltage of the monitor. Most display equipment will allow the wrong fuse to be used in the plug, or whatever you plug it into. By having the wrong fuse or a damaged fuse in the orange light would still shine. Look to see if it is dimmed or flickering.

Also, check you VGA plug/socket for bent or damaged pins or damaged wires. Give it a shake, if it rattles to much (it should rattle a bit because of the screws) then chances are its U/S.

>
> Read the post, he said the orange light comes on. Way to go, moron.
>
> Turbonutter: Very grumpy.

Come on Turbonutter, these are just suggestions please dont get upset. :-)
Sat 31/05/03 at 14:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Read the post, he said the orange light comes on. Way to go, moron.
>
> Turbonutter: Very grumpy.

Want to borrow my nickname? :o
Sat 31/05/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Agent Bob wrote:
> Tóm wrote:
> Tom is right. If there is a problem with a machines input or output
> devices it will issue a number of beeps as soon as it starts up from
> the pc speaker. I cant remember how many beeps there is for no
> monitor, but im sure its out on the internet somewhere.

Well it's different for every motherboard, so check your manual or the manufacturer's website.

> Does your graphics card have a TV out? If it does, try connecting your
> pc to a TV and see if you get a picture.

I doubt this will work as more often than not TV-out has to be enabled in software before it will do anything. Also, the display you see at post (I can;t remember what it's called... VGA?) is designed to work 100% of the time. It's a standard. If the graphics card isn't putting out that, it won't put out anything.

> Lastly, is your monitor one of these that connects to a psu or
> directly to the mains? If it connects to the mains, have the fuse in
> the plug checked

Read the post, he said the orange light comes on. Way to go, moron.

Turbonutter: Very grumpy.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:15
Regular
Tóm wrote:
> Or the beeps when you turn it on?
>
> Do you get the one normal beep, or loads of beeps? I think you can
> look them up somewhere to find if there's a fault.

Hi,

Tom is right. If there is a problem with a machines input or output devices it will issue a number of beeps as soon as it starts up from the pc speaker. I cant remember how many beeps there is for no monitor, but im sure its out on the internet somewhere.

Does your graphics card have a TV out? If it does, try connecting your pc to a TV and see if you get a picture.

Lastly, is your monitor one of these that connects to a psu or directly to the mains? If it connects to the mains, have the fuse in the plug checked
Sat 31/05/03 at 01:38
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Test all your components in another machine until you find the b0rked item.
Sat 31/05/03 at 00:08
Regular
"Top Gun"
im now 90% sure its the RAM, cos the RAM i have was ebuyers own brand (i was ordering a lot at same time so i went for cheap ) anyway i was lookin at reviews and it turned out that more than half were dead on arrival, and one review caught my eye, it said that his computer wouldnt work with that ram in with a Geforce 2 MX 400 gfx card but would with his ATI. i used a geforce 2 mx 400 so maybe RAM is the problem. im only using that gx card till i decide on what to get,

anyway thanks alot, im gonna order some top quality ram and hope it works
Fri 30/05/03 at 20:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Phtf you've been reading too many websites written by people who either don't want yuo to send back b0rked ATIs or want to sell you knew PSUs. There are loads of Shuttle owners out there who run ATI Radeon 9700Pro chips on 250watts, ask them if you don't believe me.
Fri 30/05/03 at 18:24
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Er well that's a load of trollop

No it isn't ATI 9xxx are power hungry and at least 350W is needed with other components. But i've been reading up about computer parts alot.. and it may be the cpu make sure the cpu fan is seated properly...
Fri 30/05/03 at 18:17
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Thing is, it could probably be quite a few things.

Have you tried the monitor on another computer?
Have you opened it up and double checked the graphics card is plugged in properly?
Have you double checked all your connections?
Fri 30/05/03 at 18:15
Regular
"Top Gun"
its a geforce 2 gfx card, i hear 1 beep. nothing is installed on it, it was first time ive turned it on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.