GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Technologies"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/02/01 at 13:01
Regular
Xbox Technologies is the name of a Florida based business. They registered the name Xbox before Microsoft did, and plan to take legal action against Microsoft.

A spokesman for Microsoft said "We will prevail."

This could lead to a number of different outcomes. Microsoft might win, even so, the consoles launch may be delayed whilst awaiting the outcome of the courtcase.

Xbox technologies might win, so the XBox will have to undergo a name change.

If Microsoft release the console, only to lose the courtcase at a later date they'll have to recall all of the consoles.

Given Microsoft aren't the US courts favourite company, it should be interesting.

Source: Dailyradar.com
Wed 07/02/01 at 10:14
"Darkness, always"
Besides, with all the publicity now around XBox tech, how likely do you think it is that some mystery backer, an obvious anti-Bill Gates company, will aid XBox Tech to fight off any aggressive moves Microsoft make.

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 09:26
"Darkness, always"
New Jimmy wrote:
> Theyll buy the company up, and itll cost them millions HAHA,

Millions?

Try Billions and you're getting somewhere.

-IB
Tue 06/02/01 at 22:15
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> How much money do you think it will cost Microsoft to buy
> up the copyright Xbox have on their name?
> Yup, a hell of a lot.
It depends how bifg the company is... and who owns it... if the company is owned by the bank... then Microsoft can bypass their chiefs, and give the First National (or whatever) a goof offer to take the company off their hands... What does X-Box Tech do?

> The company has every right to charge billions for it,
> whereas Microsoft can change their box and ad campaigns
> for a few mill.
The main problem is most people are expecting the X-Box... the name is already widely known.. the cost of a name change now would send the advertising budget up by tens of millions...

> And don't think that they can solve the problem by just
> buying out the company, because it doesn't work like
> that, you have to buy copyrights and trademarks
> separately.
It depends who owns the intellectual property... however in this case its the name of the company thats in question... so purchase of the company = purchase of all releated intellectual rights...

Tue 06/02/01 at 21:32
Theyll buy the company up, and itll cost them millions HAHA, suckers! It wouldnt be so bad except all the hype and advertising campaigne (theyve no doubt already paid tonnes for) is all based on the name X-box. Even the console is a big X. Microsoft need the name, so theyll have to buy the company out or Gamecube will crush them.
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:21
"Darkness, always"
How much money do you think it will cost Microsoft to buy up the copyright Xbox have on their name?

Yup, a hell of a lot.

The company has every right to charge billions for it, whereas Microsoft can change their box and ad campaigns for a few mill.

And don't think that they can solve the problem by just buying out the company, because it doesn't work like that, you have to buy copyrights and trademarks separately.

Insane B
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:14
Regular
How much money do you think it cost Microsoft to design that crappy box?

Yup, a hell of a lot.

Do you think they would throw all it away to because of a courtcase?

Well they wouldn't simply because of their pride, even though they have enough money to do so.
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:06
"Darkness, always"
The name is alreasdy registered by another company.

If the courts decide they have a better claim to the name than Microsoft do, then they hgave to rename it, or call it nothing.

The same thing happened with Starfox on the SNES, as this was already a (poor) Commodore game, and the software house denied them rights to the name, they had to rename it in this country.

Such examples are an example of poor market research.

Insane B
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:02
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Insane Bartender wrote:

It is an established name, but they could always release it
> with one name, and just allow everyone to use XBox as an
> unofficial
> nickname, which is still perfectly legal as long as
> Microsoft do not
> refer to it as the XBox themselves...

Why would it not be legal if MS refer to it as an X-Box?
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:01
"Darkness, always"
The Nintendo 64 was unveiled as the Ultra 64 but the name was changed literally weeks before it's official launch in the West.

Insane B
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:00
"Darkness, always"
I'm not so sure.

Titles get changed all the time during production, especially when they are so far from the production line.

It is an established name, but they could always release it with one name, and just allow everyone to use XBox as an unofficial nickname, which is still perfectly legal as long as Microsoft do not refer to it as the XBox themselves...

Insane B

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.