GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games do have an affect on the way you think..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/02/01 at 21:06
Regular
It had been a long time since I'd last watched wrestling. Since december infact.

In the meantime I had played WWF No Mercy to death.

The other day I watched a bit of wrestling with a match between the Rock and Undertaker.

As the Untertaker performed the Irish whip on the Rock I thought that the rock would have to grab the ropes to prevent himself from having move done on him.
When he failed to do so I thought that the undertaker would actually get him (as on No Mercy the game you can't do anything except grab the ropes when you get whipped). Then to my amazement the Rock ducked out of the move and did his own move on the Undertaker and I found myself thinking that the Rock should now cheer to get his "Attitude bar" up!

It took me 5 seconds to realise that real wrestling (if you call it real) isn't exactly the same as the computer game!

I couldn't believe my mind had been influenced like that by a computer game (even if it was a minor thing!).

Maybe Computer games can cause violence in people...
Sun 04/02/01 at 21:06
Regular
It had been a long time since I'd last watched wrestling. Since december infact.

In the meantime I had played WWF No Mercy to death.

The other day I watched a bit of wrestling with a match between the Rock and Undertaker.

As the Untertaker performed the Irish whip on the Rock I thought that the rock would have to grab the ropes to prevent himself from having move done on him.
When he failed to do so I thought that the undertaker would actually get him (as on No Mercy the game you can't do anything except grab the ropes when you get whipped). Then to my amazement the Rock ducked out of the move and did his own move on the Undertaker and I found myself thinking that the Rock should now cheer to get his "Attitude bar" up!

It took me 5 seconds to realise that real wrestling (if you call it real) isn't exactly the same as the computer game!

I couldn't believe my mind had been influenced like that by a computer game (even if it was a minor thing!).

Maybe Computer games can cause violence in people...
Sun 04/02/01 at 21:09
Dan_uk wrote:
> It had been a long time since I'd last watched wrestling. Since
> december infact.

In the meantime I had played WWF No Mercy to
> death.

The other day I watched a bit of wrestling with a match
> between the Rock and Undertaker.

As the Untertaker performed the
> Irish whip on the Rock I thought that the rock would have to grab
> the ropes to prevent himself from having move done on him.
When he
> failed to do so I thought that the undertaker would actually get him
> (as on No Mercy the game you can't do anything except grab the ropes
> when you get whipped). Then to my amazement the Rock ducked out of
> the move and did his own move on the Undertaker and I found myself
> thinking that the Rock should now cheer to get his "Attitude
> bar" up!

It took me 5 seconds to realise that real wrestling
> (if you call it real) isn't exactly the same as the computer
> game!

I couldn't believe my mind had been influenced like that by
> a computer game (even if it was a minor thing!).

Maybe Computer
> games can cause violence in people...

I`m going to run you over in my Suzuki Escudo (Pikes Peak Version)
Sun 04/02/01 at 21:58
Regular
Not really dan, your on about a bit of the violence debate aren't you but, nope they don't affect any way you think, all you think is to win or complete the game.
Or whatever to do next in the game.
I don't see a reason why you would want to do that, it's all Virtual Reality really, in the entertainment world.
You only get tired after along game or you just marvel at the ending. No violence happens!
Sun 04/02/01 at 22:14
Regular
Sometimes I try to look at the bottom left corner of my vision to see how much health I have left...
Mon 05/02/01 at 15:45
"Darkness, always"
Games don't alter your personality. The way you play them is more a reflection of your personality.

If you become violent after playing computer games a lot, then you were more than likley violent anyway, and the playing the games has brought it out in you.

The same would happen with videos, watching or playing football, or buying shares in a .com company.

Insane Bartender
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:31
Regular
This brings back my "Could their be violence in a perfect world?" speech I did a while back.

Imagination sparks imagination, and I really don't believe that people are born violent. Mental illnesses are different, but simply violent people would not exist if it wasn't for the tension of their life.

I'm not saying games make people violent, because I think games are more of an escape from reality, than to actually think they are reality... although it is nice to think that games are real sometimes.

Saying that mind, there was a suicide not so long ago, when a boy who thought too much about life pinned a lyric sheet for one of Eminems songs to his chest and threw himself in front of a train. I very much doubt that it was Eminem that caused him to commit suicide, but using his lyrics as a suicide note obviously needs some looking into.

And then there are Americans...

I think the main reason for kids and so on running into supermarkets and the like with sawn off shotguns are for two reasons.

1) Bullying at school. No doubt about that one.
2) You can easily obtain a gun in America.

I wonder if Hitler played a lot of computer games as a kid?
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:42
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Gaming definately affects the way you think if you have enough exposure to it. I still wake up screaming in the middle of the night over Barbie games, so my psyche will remain deeply scarred.

And when you've played Final Fantasy non stop for 30 hours you start to hallucinate, and when you talk about gaming non stop you get comments like 'Headshot!!' appearing in chatrooms.

Everytime I walk down the street nowadays I'm thinking about what if scenarios, like what if I was actually in Half Life, or Resident Evil and a zombie could jump out at me any minute from behind that Post Office counter where I just happen to be buying stamps so that I can post of a PC game that I had just swapped (pause for breath)....forget what I am talking about....er....where was I?
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:45
"Darkness, always"
But do you go around shooting people and choking them with piano wire due to too much exposure to games like Hitman?

Insane B
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:50
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Only on Sundays, piano wire is very expensive now so I had to cut back a bit, but I find nylon guitar strings at about one pound each do the trick on weekdays. On Saturday I watch the football.
Mon 05/02/01 at 16:52
"Darkness, always"
Could you be so kind as to give me your address?

I think I need to make a phone call....

Insane B.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.