GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP layouts?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/05/03 at 18:55
Regular
I am having difficulty creating php layouts. Does anyone know of any sites which have tutorials on this sort of thing? preferably one for beginners.

thanks
AJ
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hehehe.

Yup.
Mon 26/05/03 at 11:42
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Now you're showing off.

:c)
Mon 26/05/03 at 00:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'd write about all the things in my website that use PHP but I'd be here until christmas.
Sun 25/05/03 at 21:38
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Turbonutter wrote:
> You know, sending E-mails is easier in PHP than in any other
> language...

Only if you don't completely bagger it up! I've found the problem now, it was me being supid and changing the wrong stuff.

My homepage?

It's got a 'users online' thingy the contents is a seperate HTML page added into the page using PHP, the random quotes at the bottom are PHP.

The text in the middle is done using PHP, it calls up a TXT file and writes to it. And the text on the right hand side.

That's about it.

If you want examples, and lots of them, try www.hotscripts.com
Sun 25/05/03 at 21:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
phpbuilder.com will help you.

You know, sending E-mails is easier in PHP than in any other language...
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:46
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
Phi11ip what php things did you use in your soon to come homepage?
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:13
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
thats exactly y i want to see some examples of work. Do u know where i can some examples from?
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
cjh wrote:
> phi11ip wrote:
> Stupid email thingy...
>
> .. what Email thingy would this be?

I made a page that emails the contens of a form to me. Unfortunatly I've made amistake in editing it somewhere as the whole message is posted in the suubject. I've got a working copy, I just need to edit it again, just being careful though!

And for what I want to do with the site, I can easily live with getting examples of code and editing them to suit me, it's also a very good way of learning things. I've learnt a fair few things just be viewing what other people have done and editing it to match what I want. Working with examples if far easier than just starting from scratch. Of course you need to know the basics but I can't sit there and learn everything 'just like that.'

It's like Maths, sure you can learn from scratch but looking at worked examples makes things sooo much easier.

I've already managed to create a small verification page for a form to be submitted, it's not much but I did it from scratch and I'm happy with that!
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:00
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
The book can't teach you everything you want to do, it teaches you how to do certain tasks, and allows you to use this knoladge to put a script together to create the effect you desire.

For example, your hit counter, the book would be able to teach you:

- How to work with files.
- How to use variables and how to increment the value.

... putting this two methods together, you can make a script that opens a file and reads the current hits value, then store the value in a variable, which you can then increment by 1, and have it written back to the same file ... after which, you can print to the HTML document.

phi11ip wrote:
> Stupid email thingy...

.. what Email thingy would this be?
Sun 25/05/03 at 19:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The thing about PHP is you need skillz. You can't just copy other people's code and expect it to be hunky-dory. If you properly read the PHP books with a view to learn PHP you'll easily be able to make your own hitcounters and other such nonsense.

And on another note, it's not possible to mess around with images in the way you're thinking with PHP. Nor is it really possible to make a chatroom either. There are much better ways.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.