GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Intelligent Discussion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/05/03 at 09:38
Regular
Forgive the new person saying this, but isn't calling this forum "Life and Everything (Intelligent Discussion)" about equal to calling "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" intelligent programming ? Or Pop Idol entertaining ?

Fair enough, I haven't posted here yet so maybe that means I should shut up, but going down the threads there are here I find topics about;

*Shaving
*P*nis cramp
*Vanilla Coke
*3 Posts of someone self-important enough to announce his leaving the forum
*Someone who seems not to have noticed they stopped bombing Iraq about four weeks ago.
*Various bits of poetry.....enough said

It's kind of like being in Year 7 all over again.......! From what some people have said in other posts I gather there is a feeling that the quality of posts in here has done something of a rapid complete spiral downwards ?

Ah, it's Sunday morning and I'm cranky...
Mon 26/05/03 at 15:39
Regular
loggik wrote:
> El Blokey wrote:
> The solution is don't come into the forum.
>
> these are the anti social kind that we don't want in the forums when a
> new comer comes

your name looks a bit like 'logic', but your arguement is far from it
Mon 26/05/03 at 15:17
Regular
"smile, it's free"
HALO Fan wrote:
> Yes, I can see how not coming into the forum would change anything for
> the better.
>
> A "like it or get out" mentality isn't really all that wise.
> I used to spend a fair bit of time about three-four months ago just
> reading discussions on here, and there was interesting stuff back
> then. Those posters don't seem to be here now, hence I would assume
> that they've gone elsewhere.
>
> If I remember rightly Special Reserve seperated this forum off from
> the Sport one because everyone at the time reckoned they could keep it
> going with interesting posts, instead it seems like a spot the
> difference competition with Future Of Gaming Chat....

Agreed on most counts.

This forum was indeed separated from the sport forum with the intention that it would be a place for the more interesting and well thought-out posts. It worked for a while, but as it gradually became more active, it caught the attentions of the 'not-so-interesting-or-intelligent' people. Either that, or at some point the intelligent and interesting people decided it was no longer worth putting any effort into their posts. It's impossible to say which.

Consequently, far from being the welcoming place it was a few months ago, where new members were made welcome if they showed any intelligence, or at the least treated politely if they didn't, this forum now harbours a spitefullness and intolerance of newcomers akin to that we see in the chat forum.

The posters you used to see a few months ago are for the most part, still here - along with some decent new ones, too. They don't post so frequently, and there's far less worth reading here than there used to be, but underneath it's much the same.

Welcome back to the forums. Don't leave again, because I have a feeling you'll be much better company than most people here.
Sun 25/05/03 at 23:58
Regular
Before everyone snaps at this guy, take a moment and think.

Hes probably the most well presented JAT we've had for ages, his spelling and grammer is correct, he does'nt spam, just wants to have a conversation with the rest of us.
Sun 25/05/03 at 23:32
Regular
"8==="
Different strokes for different folks.

Also if you look past the titles, a lot of topics go off on interesting tangents. Sometimes you just want a light hearted 'intelligent discussion' instead of a deep meaningful one. There are both types of discussion here. I'm glad of the variety. Better than c4 chat anyway..........
Sun 25/05/03 at 23:14
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Kyz22 wrote:
> There is intellegent discussion from time to time, it comes in waves
> y'see.

More like a slowly dripping tap
Sun 25/05/03 at 22:51
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I would never have expected someone with the name 'HALO Fan' to post something like this...

I expected some little fanboy to either go on about his console or to try and start a 'Worlds Longest Thread.'
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:44
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Scratch that. You seem like a decent intelligent fellow, and rest assured there are like minded people, mostly hanging around in this forum. So if you just avoid the 'pénis cramp' topics and go for the 'humans are not free' and other interesting topics that will continue to crop up as long as people like the sagacious one, Rosalind, Goatboy et al are here then everyone's a winner.
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:42
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
loggik wrote:
> El Blokey wrote:
>
> these are the anti social kind that we don't want in the forums when a
> new comer comes

I'm not being anti-social. But if he doesn't like the posts, he and the board would be better off without him reading stuff he doesn't like and us listening to him saying how he doesn't like the stuff he's read.
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:31
Regular
"Otaku"
Yes, I can see how not coming into the forum would change anything for the better.

A "like it or get out" mentality isn't really all that wise. I used to spend a fair bit of time about three-four months ago just reading discussions on here, and there was interesting stuff back then. Those posters don't seem to be here now, hence I would assume that they've gone elsewhere.

If I remember rightly Special Reserve seperated this forum off from the Sport one because everyone at the time reckoned they could keep it going with interesting posts, instead it seems like a spot the difference competition with Future Of Gaming Chat....
Sun 25/05/03 at 20:24
Regular
El Blokey wrote:

these are the anti social kind that we don't want in the forums when a new comer comes

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.