GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Here Are My PC Specs. - Gimme An Aspect of Which I Could Upgrade"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/05/03 at 11:45
Regular
I'm not even sure if the last part makes sense, but you know what I mean.
Right then;

AMD Athlon
1.40GHz (Won't upgrade this most likely)
256MB RAM
64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400
And a Big Chunky Monitor.

So, what would be best to upgrade? I really do wanna save up to upgrade *something* to make my comp better.
Price doesn't matter.

And with the graphics card - it copes perfectly well with all my games, so what would be the point in getting a new one? (That is actually a question)

Cheers.
Sun 18/05/03 at 16:30
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
PC133 SDRAM DIMM

I'd guess.

It's your motherboard you need to find out about, as in what types of RAM it supports. With your processor I'd be 90% sure that's what you'd need.
Sun 18/05/03 at 15:09
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I need DIMM apparently.
Oh joy.
Sun 18/05/03 at 14:54
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Sorry, the K75 is the other comp.
I've got the AMD Athlon 7VTX.

Cheers again.
Sun 18/05/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I also knew nothing about it. Basically, it allows your computer to run more programs at the same time, and generally makes evrything else run much sweeter.

SR has a help file about installing ram. Go to www.ukram.com and look around- there's pictures of installtions etc.

Helpful.
Sun 18/05/03 at 14:40
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Right, you've convinced me about RAM.

I know feck all about it, so you tell me what I need.

I've got an AMD Athlon Processor - K17 (I think. Something along those lines)

Danke schon.
Sun 18/05/03 at 13:03
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
RAM.

And you should consider a better graphics card, after upgrading to something like a Radeon 9000 from a GF2, you'll wonder what you've been doing the whole time with it.
Sun 18/05/03 at 13:01
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Miserableman wrote:
> You do know that you can, like, put more than one hard disk in a
> machine at once, and IDE drives are very spacious, very fast, very
> quiet and very cheap?

Hah, shows my tech knowledge! :D

Thanks for that. Internal drives are also cheaper.

Cheers.
Sun 18/05/03 at 12:58
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Microchips wrote:
> The main problem with my PC is the HD space. It's only 12Gb, and we
> have about 5Gb left. We installed a FireWire card a couple of days
> ago (For iPod) and then it struck me. We can get an external Firewire
> HD. So when my Dad goes to America in June, he's going to pick up an
> external Firewire HD and a 15Gb iPod for me (My pocket hurts- but it's
> far cheaper out in America).

You do know that you can, like, put more than one hard disk in a machine at once, and IDE drives are very spacious, very fast, very quiet and very cheap?
Sun 18/05/03 at 12:56
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Upgrade the graphics card and the RAM. You can get Radeon 9100's very cheap these days which will be around 5 times faster than your Geforce2MX, and 256MB of RAM costs about 20p, so you have no excuse not to. Make sure you get the right RAM type - I believe they made Thunderbirds up to 1.4Ghz, so you may have one of those (which would mean PC133 RAM). If you're sure you have an Athlon XP, get el DDR, which is probably cheaper.
Sun 18/05/03 at 12:54
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
The main problem with my PC is the HD space. It's only 12Gb, and we have about 5Gb left. We installed a FireWire card a couple of days ago (For iPod) and then it struck me. We can get an external Firewire HD. So when my Dad goes to America in June, he's going to pick up an external Firewire HD and a 15Gb iPod for me (My pocket hurts- but it's far cheaper out in America).

As for your RAM, I'd listen to the other guy. I only had 128Mb RAM until last week, and you try running Xp with 128Mb RAM and a 448MHz processor! :D

RAM is great. I'd go for that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.