GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SHUT UP! *Kicks*"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/05/03 at 01:04
Regular
How the hell do you turn off the volume for your modem?
I've gone into Modem properties etc, and put the little tab from On to Off. It still sings whe I connect.
I'm on XP if that helps.
I've done it many a time before, but it just won't shut up this time.
Danke.
Sat 31/05/03 at 16:16
Regular
Hi,

Yeah, but even so its pretty weird for itto happen these days. I have never had the problem, but then again the sun shines where ever I walk lol.
Sat 31/05/03 at 16:06
Regular
"Wobble"
I live on an estate built in the early 70s, but I have recently-installed digital cable for TV, broadband and telephone services.

So I don't think age is an issue! :-) It's just one of those things that happens occasionally. No service is perfect all of the time.
Sat 31/05/03 at 15:24
Regular
Chemical Ali wrote:
> It only takes a bit of noise on the line while dialling for a tone to
> be mis-interpreted.

Hi,

Wow, for that to happen is pretty much ultra rare, do you live in the country or something? maybe you should check the wiring in your house too, I remember that some of the phone lines in UK houses are alomst 40 years old now.
Sat 31/05/03 at 13:40
Regular
"Wobble"
Agent Bob wrote:
> Your modem misdial? I seriously have never heard of that, maybe you
> should check to see if you have a virus?

I can assure you I don't.

I'm fairly certain that the mis-dials - rare as they are - are caused by the phone system and not the modem. In just the same way that you occasionally dial a number stored on a house phone and get through to someone you don't know on a wrong number.

It only takes a bit of noise on the line while dialling for a tone to be mis-interpreted.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:56
Regular
Chemical Ali wrote:
> That's all very well, and it will most definitely work. But it's not
> much use if you like/need to hear the modem handshaking at the start
> of the call.

Hi,

Your modem misdial? I seriously have never heard of that, maybe you should check to see if you have a virus?
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:18
Regular
"Wobble"
Agent Bob wrote:
> The last box is called Enable Modem Speaker, and is checked by default,
> un check it and no modem speaker noise any more!!!!

That's all very well, and it will most definitely work. But it's not much use if you like/need to hear the modem handshaking at the start of the call.

I prefer the to hear this because then you can tell if you've got a duff line, or a mis-dial, which is not entirely uncommon - several times I've dialled a number on the modem only to have a person answer the other end to an earful of modem chatter!

If you're having trouble connecting, don't have the speaker on, and keep dialling, that person is gonna get mighty peeved. I've been on the receiving end once from a mis-dialling fax machine. With a fax it's invariably human error, but it does happen with modems using pre-stored numbers too.

Still, I guess it all depends on whether Azul is that bothered about hearing it or just wants to shut it up! :-)
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:00
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:
> set it to "pulse dialliong" instead of "tone
> dialling"

Hi,

First off, dont do the above, it has nothing to do with the noise a modem speaker makes. Tone dialling is an important part of the UK phone system, and many people in residential areas use it. OK, now to turn off that modem speaker. You can do it the same ias previous versions of windows, here how you do it for XP.

Press start
Got to Connect To > Show All

Now here you will be shown all the connections on your pc. At the top its normally Dial Up access. Now right click the dial up you normally use. Click Properties. You will now see a dialogue all about you connection. On the General tab, at the top, will be something like: Connect using. This is the modem your account will try to connect with, next to it is a button marked configure. Click this button, you know should see a modem configuration box. There are a few options here, dont change any unless you know what they are for!!! The last box is called Enable Modem Speaker, and is checked by default, un check it and no modem speaker noise any more!!!!

Hope this helps everyone, any problems just leave a new post
Sat 31/05/03 at 10:43
Regular
"Wobble"
I have this exact problem with my modem and the default drivers that WinXP installs - I dial, hear the tones etc. as you should, but on connection, instead of going quiet, the speaker stays on.

Windows XP identifies my modem as a Connexant, and although the modem does work with the XP default drivers, the speaker problem is a real pain.

My PC is an SR MAXX, and I contacted them for the drivers they used when they installed the machine (it worked fine with those under WinME), which they kindly sent me on CD. With those installed, it works as it should - you can hear the modem during connection, then it goes quiet.

Windows Update keeps telling me that there's an updated driver available for the modem, but if I install that, the problem returns - so I steer clear!

Obviously there's a good chance these won't work with your modem, but if you see any similarities and want a copy to try out, I'll happily mail them to you.
Wed 28/05/03 at 22:36
Regular
Some modem do not allow this, try breaking the on modem speaker this works or plugging something in the speaker out on the modem as this will then assume you have an external speaker.

Colin
Sat 24/05/03 at 10:43
Regular
"you've got a beard"
set it to "pulse dialliong" instead of "tone dialling"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.