GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Vs. X Box"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/02/01 at 16:55
Regular
I have just got a PS2 for Christmas, and i think it is the greatest console ever, full-stop.
Can anyone tell me why X-Box is meant to be so good? My friend told me that it will probably cost around £600 and plays PC games. I dunno if this is true or not but there arent really that many 'Decent' PC games are there? Maybe Half-Life and the Command and Conquer series but thats all i know of.
Thu 01/02/01 at 16:55
I have just got a PS2 for Christmas, and i think it is the greatest console ever, full-stop.
Can anyone tell me why X-Box is meant to be so good? My friend told me that it will probably cost around £600 and plays PC games. I dunno if this is true or not but there arent really that many 'Decent' PC games are there? Maybe Half-Life and the Command and Conquer series but thats all i know of.
Thu 01/02/01 at 17:02
You'd be surprised. There are a lot a very good PC games about. I've got a PS2 as well, and there isn't quite a nice, steady flow of quality games just yet.

As for the X-Box, yes it's based on the same underlying DirectX technology as used in PCs, so there will be a lot of PC/X-Box crossover. But as it's been marketed to a different target audience than your 'average' PC gamer, there will no doubt be more 'console' style games as well.
Fri 02/02/01 at 09:00
Regular
"not dead"
PS2 VS XBox:

PS2:

Games available. Some good, some very good, some poor.

XBox:

Not yet released. No games available.

That's all I know, and all I need to know.
Fri 02/02/01 at 09:22
Regular
"Complete Banker"
It won't play PC games though, (although it took a lot to convince Bill that this would be a good idea!) and it won't be out for over a year!
As for price, we don't know; but I'd imagine your looking at £300 - £400.
Fri 09/02/01 at 21:44
The x-box has been confirmed by microsoft to cost no more than£300 and microsoft will be losing money on each console they sell,remember it's the software and not the hardware where these companies make their money
Fri 09/02/01 at 22:59
"High polygon count"
Yes, but Microsoft would also have you believe that Windows is a bug-free operating system! :-)
Sat 10/02/01 at 11:41
That is where it all falls down. Last month MSN went down for a day! Microsoft Network! THE Microsoft Network!!!! And they think they can cope with selling a console?

There are only two games on there that I know of that I like, and that is Munch's Oddysee (which they stole of PS2) and The Matrix (which hasn't been made yet, and they could make it really cr@p if they messed up!)

The console itself looks butt-ugly, and the controller is a stolen mix of other controllers. (and you don't get a controller with the console, you have to buy it seperately!!!)
Sat 10/02/01 at 20:49
All very good points....but surely it's not a case of
PS2 Vs X Box as they are not strictly "apples for apples".

They same argument can be levelled at Compaq Vs Dell...they all do the job but which one will suit you !!!!.

As I see it the machines cannot be compared as Sony would
state that the PS2 is an "Entertainment System"....just
bolt on a Dolby Digital Amp, some Speakers and tada..
the ultimate Audio Visual Experience at a fraction
of the cost. Not to mention pretty decent DVD playback,
not bad CD once you can sort out the cabling issues

To each their own !!! I have taken to gaming late but I am completelt sold on the "one stop solution" and if we are led to believe that most of the game developers have yet to tap into the real power of this latest incarnation...watch out Uncle Bill.

PS....Have just bought the Monster Gamelink 300 S Video cable for the PS2 ...Sound and Vision improved dramatically. Well worth it !!!!! Looks Sexier than L Groft
Mon 12/02/01 at 02:00
Lets face it no matter how much you read or know about a console you will only know what it is like Good/Bad when you are sitting in front of the TV with the controller in your hand.

Any way what we do know about the X-Box for certain is that the controller is a little bulkier than the Dreamcasts and its black. There are allot of other use less bits of info like it has a Nvidia Graphics Chip but really we don't even know what the games look like.
Fri 16/02/01 at 08:14
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
It will also be more powerful than a PS2. People say it will contain a graphics chip one Generation higher than the Geforce 2 PC cards. And should generate around 200 million polygons a second (Maybe 125 million). It will come with a 8 gig hard disk. Broadband internet capabilities straight away. If they get the right games and dont mess anything up the X-Box could be a very good console indeed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.