GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Blueyonder screwing me?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/05/03 at 01:44
Regular
I'm on 1mb cable & I never top 60k for download speed! It was sooooo much faster when I first started up. I gave them a call, and they assured me everything was fine & that the speed was optimal. 60K?! I thought 1mb was 100k?!
Sat 17/05/03 at 23:15
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Garr wrote:
> I said on "average", some days depending on various factors
> which determine download speed i maintain a healthy 130-140 kbs. Which
> is nice, but considering i use it for games it doesn't matter as i'll
> be upgrading to the 2mb connection in a few months. hehe

Thats ok then. 130-140 is damn good for 1mb. 2mb would be good for downloading but wont really make much difference to games.
Sat 17/05/03 at 22:59
Regular
I said on "average", some days depending on various factors which determine download speed i maintain a healthy 130-140 kbs. Which is nice, but considering i use it for games it doesn't matter as i'll be upgrading to the 2mb connection in a few months. hehe
Sat 17/05/03 at 22:09
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Garr wrote:
> Yes, your being screwed. Im on the same connection and downloading 100
> mega bit files PLUS on an average speed of 95 kbs.

Are you on 1mb cable? If so you want to be ringing up your ISP as your getting screwed.

512K ADSL/Cable = 60k/s
600K Cable = 70k/s
1Mb Cable = 120k/s

If your getting these sorts of figures usually then your connection is ok. So 95k/s on a 1Mb connection is around 25k/s sort of what it should be. Don't forget that its also dependant on the source of the download so try and get files from a fast source to get maximum speed.
Sat 17/05/03 at 20:58
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Taka-Q wrote:
. Download Accelerator is a good one
> (http://www.speedbit.com/).

I suppose you could do that - if you REALLY like spyware!
Sat 17/05/03 at 20:42
Regular
Yes, your being screwed. Im on the same connection and downloading 100 mega bit files PLUS on an average speed of 95 kbs.
Sat 17/05/03 at 19:59
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Yes I know you connect at 576Kbps, I do too, every 512K ADSL connection does as well. But your line is only 512K no matter if you even live at the exchange. BT supply a 512K line and unless they change it to a faster speed thats all you get. Adslguides speed test is pretty good but not perfect. I have it rating my line as around 59k/s for downloads. Yet I can constantly get an average of 61k/s over a 450mb file. I too get those speeds you are showing on your 2nd picture Taka-Q. I have had over 120k/s at some points, but your downloading a small file and you've got hardly anything so speeds start off faster. If you start getting 100mb files then you may see that you get 60k/s average. If you do get 60k/s average then your connection is running as fast as it can go, as 60k/s is about the maximum for a 512K line.
Fri 16/05/03 at 23:58
Regular
"Digging!"
adrian wrote:
> Taka-Q wrote:
> Let me explain...
> First, don't listen to the ADSL speed Guide, it had my connection
> running at less than 10% (modem speed program that came with my
> modem
> tells you the exact speed and the total posible speed via percentage
> bars). Second, most servers will not send data at over 10Kbs, as it
> is very expensive to host a high speed server. The best way to deal
> with this issue is to get a good download program that connects to
> the
> server more than once, thus timesing the speed by the amount of
> times
> it connects. Download Accelerator is a good one
> (http://www.speedbit.com/). With this I get downloads of
> 70KBs-80Kbs
> on a 576,000 bps to 288,000bps connection (my exchange is just down
> the road). There you have it. People are far to quick to point
> fingers at ISP's and quite frankly the ADSL speed Guide is a load of
> dog crap.
>
> The speed guide is not dog crap as you put it. 576,000bps(576K) is not
> the actual speed of the line. Its just the speed of the modem at your
> end. You actually paying for a 512K line, and if you do a speed test
> and look at the actual results of the test including the overheads you
> will see that you do get the 512K result. Getting 70-80k/s is pretty
> impossible at a sustained rate. If you start downloading 1 file and
> leave it for a few minutes then start a new file downloading it will
> appear to download faster as these programs deal with the average
> download speed. I have seen this before as my friend had a file that
> was nearly done and he started a new one at the same time. It showed
> that he was getting over a 100k/s, but infact he was only getting
> about 60k/s as the first file had almosted crawled to a halt.
>
> If your saying you can get 70(560K)- 80(640K) connection then you can
> see that this is greater than the 512K line that you have and this
> also excludes any over heads. Check your download rate by actually
> taking how much data you've downloaded and working out the average
> speed for the data. See what you get, as I doubt its these speeds
> unless BT think your special and give you an extra 128K more than
> every one else on ADSL.

The modem program tells you exactly how much data the modem is receving in bps that changes in real time. Atmitily I have only ever had 80kbs once, though (so your fight there about that not really happening). As you should know, your Broadband ISP gives out 576,000 bps to deal with the data getting lost over distance of transmission, but because my exchange is littraly just down the road I get a 576,000 connection.

As for the "dog crap" quide, it said I have 52,000bps downstream, which is utter rubbish, as I spent the whole time watching the real time monitor, showing that that is what the modem was reciving, but that was about 10% of the Rx bar (downstream persentage of use bar) and when I downloaded direct after that, my speed on the modem monitor program when up to the 576,000bps mark.

I have some screen shots at http://spa.net.port5.com/adsl/speedtest.jpg and http://spa.net.port5.com/adsl/download.jpg
Fri 16/05/03 at 22:08
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Taka-Q wrote:
> Let me explain...
> First, don't listen to the ADSL speed Guide, it had my connection
> running at less than 10% (modem speed program that came with my modem
> tells you the exact speed and the total posible speed via percentage
> bars). Second, most servers will not send data at over 10Kbs, as it
> is very expensive to host a high speed server. The best way to deal
> with this issue is to get a good download program that connects to the
> server more than once, thus timesing the speed by the amount of times
> it connects. Download Accelerator is a good one
> (http://www.speedbit.com/). With this I get downloads of 70KBs-80Kbs
> on a 576,000 bps to 288,000bps connection (my exchange is just down
> the road). There you have it. People are far to quick to point
> fingers at ISP's and quite frankly the ADSL speed Guide is a load of
> dog crap.

The speed guide is not dog crap as you put it. 576,000bps(576K) is not the actual speed of the line. Its just the speed of the modem at your end. You actually paying for a 512K line, and if you do a speed test and look at the actual results of the test including the overheads you will see that you do get the 512K result. Getting 70-80k/s is pretty impossible at a sustained rate. If you start downloading 1 file and leave it for a few minutes then start a new file downloading it will appear to download faster as these programs deal with the average download speed. I have seen this before as my friend had a file that was nearly done and he started a new one at the same time. It showed that he was getting over a 100k/s, but infact he was only getting about 60k/s as the first file had almosted crawled to a halt.

If your saying you can get 70(560K)- 80(640K) connection then you can see that this is greater than the 512K line that you have and this also excludes any over heads. Check your download rate by actually taking how much data you've downloaded and working out the average speed for the data. See what you get, as I doubt its these speeds unless BT think your special and give you an extra 128K more than every one else on ADSL.
Fri 16/05/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Digging!"
Let me explain...
First, don't listen to the ADSL speed Guide, it had my connection running at less than 10% (modem speed program that came with my modem tells you the exact speed and the total posible speed via percentage bars). Second, most servers will not send data at over 10Kbs, as it is very expensive to host a high speed server. The best way to deal with this issue is to get a good download program that connects to the server more than once, thus timesing the speed by the amount of times it connects. Download Accelerator is a good one (http://www.speedbit.com/). With this I get downloads of 70KBs-80Kbs on a 576,000 bps to 288,000bps connection (my exchange is just down the road). There you have it. People are far to quick to point fingers at ISP's and quite frankly the ADSL speed Guide is a load of dog crap.
Thu 15/05/03 at 22:24
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
§niper wrote:
> It keeps on changing everytime i try it out.
> It also says on the page any programs running in the program might
> affect it. But at least i know im getting what i paid for.

Yes programs like Kazaa, MSN etc. Anything that uses the internet to download and upload. Even if your only talking on MSN you still transfering a small bit of data.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.