GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo will they suffer the same fate as Sega"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/01/01 at 23:48
Regular
Nintendo have been around for along time now, and they have been through alot of rough patches, but nothing like what they will face if they keep dropping behind Sony.

Nintendo I think are the greatest console makers of all time, but due to the time difference of the release of the Gamecube and the PS2 they will start to fall behind. OK maybe the Gamecube is supposed to be an all around better console than the PS2 but with the 2 year release date difference most people will get fed up of waiting and turn to the PS2.

I think that most people would agree with me here by saying that the N64 was the greatest console of it's time, but there are more powerful consoles out and Nintedo are still constructing. The PS2 has already sold over half of of what the N64 has sold all over the world, and if Nintendo take the to long to release the Gamecube they will suffer the same fate as Sega.

I don't know if any of you know this but recently the owner of Nintendo turned down a contract offer from square which could've of boosted the sales of the Gamecube when it is released. Many people would say that Nintendo won't need the developing expertise fromn square with all the great games that will be made by RARE and themselves, but they can't just count on themselves and RARE to hold them together, if you ask me they will need all the help they can get with a release date as late as it is.

I don't want to sound like i'm putting Nintendo down because i'm not, but they do need to improve on the tactics they are using. I thought they would of tried to improve on the mistake they made when they released the N64, but they haven't they are still taking to long to releases their console and Sony are getting alll the public support.

Raven

P.S. i only posted my last message because i was bored
Wed 07/02/01 at 15:32
"Darkness, always"
raven1551 wrote:

And enough with Pokemon and all of the other crappy games
> Nintendo bring out, what about us older kids, theres only a hand
> full of games for us and trucks full for the younger gamers.

Try to remember that Nintendo are a family orientated company, hence the original name of their first two major home consoles: Famicom, and Super Famicom. Famicom standing obviously for Family Computer.

Nintendo have always been this way, and if I ever for some reason buy my children(that I din't have yet...) a console, I will choose Nintendo over any other supplier because I know that they will produce more of the suitable material for a younger child.

-IB
Wed 07/02/01 at 15:21
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I'm not sure having the GC released after the PS2 will di it that muich harm...

With the mistakes Sonys has been, and still is making, its not helping Sony make any friends

Dreamcast came out a good few years before the PS2... and that didnt do it all that mych good...

--
I got a new shadow. I had to get rid of the other one... It wasn't doing what I was doing.

Wed 07/02/01 at 00:45
there was actually 32million N64s sold around the world
Wed 07/02/01 at 00:43
enough with pokemon it's a load of cr*p
Sun 04/02/01 at 14:28
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
You have to remember that the Japs will have the gamecube at the start of summer, from then it will be making a name for itself. it is not the Jap release dat of the PS2 compared to the UK release date of the GC. The Gamecube will start to make its mark very soon, don't count Nintendo out they know what they are doing, Pokémon isn't dead yet and they still have a load of Pokémon titles to give us for the GC.

The Game
Sun 04/02/01 at 12:42
Regular
"not dead"
Raven, ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by it's cover?"

Some of Nintendo's games may well look cute, and for kids, but they're certainly playable and challenging for all ages.
Sun 04/02/01 at 11:49
Regular
Raven we need games for all ages, otherwise they won't be able to buy games because of the age rating.
Pokemon is a great game. It's a game for all ages really.
Your wrong there with the sales the N64 made, of course Sony had the head start remember, and when the N64 was released everyone didn't relise the N64 was released really, because the PS1 was going good. Slowly people knew about the console and now they sell even more, that's the reason Sega was left behind so much, they hadn't brought out a console that could compete with them 2, they were left behind for so many years. Nintendo kept too quiet about the console to be even noticed.
Nintendo brings Games for all ages, though the colour schemes used in the games and the cute, and cuddly characters, do you think it matters, if they use them instead of a man carrying a gun around? The PS2 might be a Video Entertainment system, but it don't play games at full power yet, it might play DVD's well but has it reached the peak of it's performance like Perfect Dark did on the N64?
Not yet, but when the GameCube or X-Box comes out we will expect good things in the games, games for everyone to play and enjoy.
Sun 04/02/01 at 02:43
if Nintendo are so popular why has there only been 13 million N64's sold around the world compared to the 72 million Playstations, and catching up with the N64 is the PS2 with 7 million units sold.

And enough with Pokemon and all of the other crappy games Nintendo bring out, what about us older kids, theres only a hand full of games for us and trucks full for the younger gamers. Where as sony have plenty of games for us older gamers, thats one of the reasons why they went ker-plunk in the N64 sales market
Thu 01/02/01 at 21:59
But only for the games... our relationship is only skin deep... *sigh*...
Thu 01/02/01 at 21:57
Regular
"everyone says it"
I will wait for the GAMECUBE, why? cose I LOVE Nintendo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.