GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola add ons"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/02/09 at 14:37
Regular
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this site and to website building so, ignoring all the rules - such as looking at all the threads posted on the entire site - I have some questions to ask in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Does Freeola provide the script for a site search? I would like my customers to be able to search my own site for the relevant item; not all of google.

Does Freeola provide a shopping basket or recommend one?

Also, in a more general vein, do people have more than one site?

I will explain what I am doing so that I can get the right feedback.

I already have a site up and running but it is costing me a fortune - fifty uk pounds a month - and I saw freeola and thought I would try to build a site with them and run it alonside the other one and compare the results. I have my own domain name which I can transfer but for the moment I am just using the freeware from Freeola.
My biggest problem that I have is trying to understand how to copy all the information on my original site and place it on the Freeola site without having write it all out again. I can cut and paste the text but when I try to copy the html my comp just freezes and then crashes.
I would like the knowledge to be able to copy a whole group of items with their links which is on a different server but I don't know where to begin.
I am purposfully not giving my website address because I don't want to be accused of spamming which I know from years of experience is a delicate subject so I am hoping that someone on this site has transferred all their information from somewhere else to Freeola and can give me some tips
I will leave it at that for the moment and will continue to browse the site and look forward to any replies I may recieve

jobel
Sun 08/02/09 at 15:56
"Are you sure?"
Hi and welcome to the forums.
I'll try to answer some of your questions :¬)

No Freeola doesn't provide a site search script.
There a quite a few different types of scripts freely available though - some require MySQL other more basic ones don't.

I've played around with Google's CSE and find it quite useful: www.google.com/coop/cse. I set up a version to search these very chat forums - see link below.

No again to the Freeola supplied eCommerce query I'm afraid.

Yes I have many sites (120ish domains) with Freeola and highly recommend them! I moved a new client to Freeola/Getdotted only on Friday - but this was only basic static pages which were easy to save and then upload to Freeola.

To move your website content you will have to use FTP to 'propagate' your new web space. I use and recommend FileZilla a free FTP application.
If you keep copies of the site on your PC you will need to FTP them to Freeola. It sounds as if your site may be more complicated than that though perhaps with dynamically generated content? I'm guessing you will still need to use FTP to download the existing site and then upload it to the new hosts. You could use a website copier like HTTrack to capture the data - and then FTP to upload it again. Static content is easy to manage but it will be trickier if you have many scripts and lots of added functionality etc.

You're right people who arrive once, post an idiotic sentence followed by a website address and then are never to be seen again are a pain. But your post all sounds genuine to me, so feel free to post the address of the site in question. Seeing the type of site and the scale of it could help to answer your questions.

Search Freeola Chat this is my Google CSE (Custom Search Engine) hosted on free web space from Freeola and set up to search these chat forums.
Sun 08/02/09 at 14:37
Regular
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this site and to website building so, ignoring all the rules - such as looking at all the threads posted on the entire site - I have some questions to ask in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Does Freeola provide the script for a site search? I would like my customers to be able to search my own site for the relevant item; not all of google.

Does Freeola provide a shopping basket or recommend one?

Also, in a more general vein, do people have more than one site?

I will explain what I am doing so that I can get the right feedback.

I already have a site up and running but it is costing me a fortune - fifty uk pounds a month - and I saw freeola and thought I would try to build a site with them and run it alonside the other one and compare the results. I have my own domain name which I can transfer but for the moment I am just using the freeware from Freeola.
My biggest problem that I have is trying to understand how to copy all the information on my original site and place it on the Freeola site without having write it all out again. I can cut and paste the text but when I try to copy the html my comp just freezes and then crashes.
I would like the knowledge to be able to copy a whole group of items with their links which is on a different server but I don't know where to begin.
I am purposfully not giving my website address because I don't want to be accused of spamming which I know from years of experience is a delicate subject so I am hoping that someone on this site has transferred all their information from somewhere else to Freeola and can give me some tips
I will leave it at that for the moment and will continue to browse the site and look forward to any replies I may recieve

jobel

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.