GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola add ons"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/02/09 at 14:37
Regular
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this site and to website building so, ignoring all the rules - such as looking at all the threads posted on the entire site - I have some questions to ask in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Does Freeola provide the script for a site search? I would like my customers to be able to search my own site for the relevant item; not all of google.

Does Freeola provide a shopping basket or recommend one?

Also, in a more general vein, do people have more than one site?

I will explain what I am doing so that I can get the right feedback.

I already have a site up and running but it is costing me a fortune - fifty uk pounds a month - and I saw freeola and thought I would try to build a site with them and run it alonside the other one and compare the results. I have my own domain name which I can transfer but for the moment I am just using the freeware from Freeola.
My biggest problem that I have is trying to understand how to copy all the information on my original site and place it on the Freeola site without having write it all out again. I can cut and paste the text but when I try to copy the html my comp just freezes and then crashes.
I would like the knowledge to be able to copy a whole group of items with their links which is on a different server but I don't know where to begin.
I am purposfully not giving my website address because I don't want to be accused of spamming which I know from years of experience is a delicate subject so I am hoping that someone on this site has transferred all their information from somewhere else to Freeola and can give me some tips
I will leave it at that for the moment and will continue to browse the site and look forward to any replies I may recieve

jobel
Wed 11/02/09 at 20:04
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya jobel602,

If your looking to add a checkout to your website! have a look at ROMAN CART

You can sign up and use thier basic package for free, it can be intergrated into exciting websites and (depending on what package you have) customizable check out pages . You use the provided control panel to add products and details of what you are selling & set the delivery/postage details etc etc (even lets you know what stock you have left.) Then you are given the html code which you simply insert in to the relivant product page that you have previously built which allows customers to purchase via any of the payment methods that you choose to offer.

the advantage of using a method like this is, it allows anyone to build a basic website and turn it into an ecommerce website without all the coding headaches.

Once its all set up and running you can change stock, prices, quanity etc via the control panel without changing any code within the website.
Mon 09/02/09 at 18:29
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Not sure I completely get your idea DL, but maintaining
> data/content in two different places could be quite an overhead.
>
> I would rather move it all in one go if it was me.
> You could always keep the original site up and running until all
> the data has been moved and tested.

That's exactly what I had in mind, perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough.
Mon 09/02/09 at 17:55
"Are you sure?"
jobel602 wrote:
> ...I just can't be bothered to change my keyboard.

You don't only get website advice here at Freeola! :¬)

Sounds like you might have the wrong language selected.
Go to CONTROL PANEL and open "Regional and Language Options". Make sure you have "English UK" selected...

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 09/02/09 at 15:43
Regular
Hi Hmmm and FL,
thanks for the input so far. To answer Fl's comments I will add a bit more clarity to what I am doing; sometimes I write a lot but never seem to explain myself properly.
I have the website you have visited up and running but I am finding it to be very restricted for what I want to do and also find the cost to be prohibitive.
My intentions are this: I need to have something up and running and I have spent a lot of time and money on my site so far so the last thing I want to do at the moment is to close that account down and put it into Freeola when I am not sure if I would be better served or find it easier to do at present.
What I am aiming to do is to create a new website with Freeola and have that up and running. I need to see if it would be more expansive and cost effective than my site at present.
My reasoning is this: for 3 pounds a month I can afford to create a website on Freeola and if it is easy to upload my files and optimise my new site then I can move everything over. If I find Freeola to be as restrictive then I have lost only 10 pounds.
To be fair to Freeola I have not put a lot of effort into my new website yet - I think I am finding the task to be quite daunting -
so I am continuing to explore Freeola and will try out all the software and create a site that I am happy with offline. What I am trying to say is the old addige; never put all your eggs in one basket at one time.
I am already finding the help and support here to be better so I am encouraged to contine for the present.
I will post back with my progress. Thanks for all your help so far.

jobel

p.s. if you ever wonder why I describe the money aspect without using the UK pound symbol it is becase of this dopy keyboard. When I press the pound symbol I get ##### and I cannot find which key is being used by the board for the correct symbol; it isn't the # key and I just can't be bothered to change my keyboard.
Mon 09/02/09 at 12:11
"Are you sure?"
4x4man wrote:
> Hi can you help me? ...
> Thanks 4x4man

Hi 4x4man and welcome to the forums!
NB. Best to start a new thread next time, rather than hijack an existing one ;¬)

This previous thread might answer some of your database query: chat.freeola.com/.../Add-a-Database-to-my-Website
'JimTheDog' seems to know his DBases!

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 09/02/09 at 11:55
Regular
Hi can you help me?
We have an old stock system that outputs a CSV file, we then have a CSV convertor than can create a file from this CSV that MS Access can read as a database file and display into a table, my question is how can i get this database to be visible ie intergrate with mysql @ freeola?

Thanks 4x4man
Mon 09/02/09 at 09:55
"Are you sure?"
Hi jobel602,
Just to update things while you look at my previous ideas.

Having had a quick look at your site now, I think perhaps one of your biggest problems could be that your pages are .cfm (Cold Fusion?) and I don't believe Freeola support that format!

Might be worth you looking in to this a bit more?

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 09/02/09 at 09:51
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Not being daft here, but if you're thinking of migrating to
> Freeola..why not do it and then redirect your site from your new
> Freeola address whilest you transfer your existing site's content
> to the Freeola servers at your leisure. :-)

Not sure I completely get your idea DL, but maintaining data/content in two different places could be quite an overhead.

I would rather move it all in one go if it was me.
You could always keep the original site up and running until all the data has been moved and tested.

I sometimes get sites running under a /new directory then when I'm happy thing things promote it to 'live' etc.

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 08/02/09 at 19:12
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Not being daft here, but if you're thinking of migrating to Freeola..why not do it and then redirect your site from your new Freeola address whilest you transfer your existing site's content to the Freeola servers at your leisure. :-)
Sun 08/02/09 at 18:37
Regular
Hi Hmmmm,
thanks for the welcome. It was only after I posted that I bothered to read the chat rules - I thought I was pretty conversant with any rules for chatrooms - then I saw the pinned rule stating that there were to be no links to competitors and my site is with a competitor but I don't know if giving my website address is the same as giving a link but I will put it into here and risk the banning - I've been banned from worse sites than this (lol).www.theemporiumredruth.co.uk
I am now struggling to get to grips with freeola but having an account with another wysiwyg site it is not too daunting and hopefully I can get something online soon.
As you have pointed out you do need to see my site to understand the complexities of it and how much work there is to do so hopefully you can look at it and then give me some pointers, not on the design aspect but on how to transfer the content to freeola if I do decide to change over.
I am now going through the links you have kindly provided and will look for any further advice. Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.