GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows / MSN Messenger"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/05/03 at 19:02
Regular
Is there a difference with the two, or are they just the same program with different names?

The problem I am having with both is that neither will allow me to send files, yet receives them fine.

I can't find any options which state "Allow sending of files" and I can't find any option in Norton Firewall which would not allow the to be done, so does anyone know of any other possibilities as to why I can't send files??

To note, I can send them via ICQ, so it can't be a firewall/PC problem. but as I use MSN a lot more, I'd prefer the send file feature to eb active ...

Thanks to anyone for any details.
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:02
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Is there a difference with the two, or are they just the same program with different names?

The problem I am having with both is that neither will allow me to send files, yet receives them fine.

I can't find any options which state "Allow sending of files" and I can't find any option in Norton Firewall which would not allow the to be done, so does anyone know of any other possibilities as to why I can't send files??

To note, I can send them via ICQ, so it can't be a firewall/PC problem. but as I use MSN a lot more, I'd prefer the send file feature to eb active ...

Thanks to anyone for any details.
Wed 07/05/03 at 19:12
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I think they're the same, but I've never had Windows Messenger before. Seems logical, though
Wed 07/05/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Windows is integrated with Windows XP (you know what I mean), whereas MSN is standalone. MSN is slightly more up to date than the integrated version.

By integrated I mean it works with Outlook Express and IE.
Wed 07/05/03 at 21:26
Regular
"\\"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Windows is integrated with Windows XP (you know what I mean), whereas
> MSN is standalone. MSN is slightly more up to date than the integrated
> version.
>
> By integrated I mean it works with Outlook Express and IE.

Yeah. I have windows messenger and it wont let me close because it says

"There are other applications currently using features by Windows Messenger. These applications may include Outlook, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, and Internet Explorer"

Reading that properly, should there be a comma before that last and?
Wed 07/05/03 at 21:42
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Windows is integrated with Windows XP (you know what I mean), whereas
> MSN is standalone. MSN is slightly more up to date than the integrated
> version.
>
> By integrated I mean it works with Outlook Express and IE.

Wow!.. Is that right? ... you learn something new every day :)
Wed 07/05/03 at 21:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
AOE, i used to get that but then.. it went away.. not sure when though. Probably when I re-installed XP SP1 or something.. but it was there before.. *shrug*.
Thu 08/05/03 at 09:38
"I hate that!!!"
hmm, strange,

it could be the way your MSN is set up
Thu 08/05/03 at 10:32
Regular
""
Could it still not be a problem with the firewall? ICQ and messenger would use different ip addresses and ports to send and receive data. ive got norton firewall and i keep having to allow new ip addresses through as they must use a range of ip addresses.
Thu 08/05/03 at 15:37
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Does your computer have an internal (ie, from a local network) IP address?
Thu 08/05/03 at 15:47
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
This is a stand-alone machine, so I don't think any internal IP's are about, or would there be?

I've got Norton Firewall as well, and took a look through it, but can't find any options for allowing IP Addresses to do anything inparticular.

Did you refer to the IP Address your ISP asigns you, or somethine else?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.