GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Arsenal able to compete with Man U?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/05/03 at 18:34
Regular
I myself am an Arsenal fan, but can we realistcly compete with Manchester United?
As it stands Arsenal are in £40m debt, whilst building a £400m new staduim.
If Arsenal don't win something next season their debt could shoot up.
Still Wenger says he will bring new players in for next season, but with what money i would like to ask.
In Man U's case they are the richest English club, and with the likes of Kluivert and Rhonaldhino on the brink of sighning for them they can only get stronger as a team and even with big name signings they still have plenty to spend. As long as Arsenal stay in debt they cannot compete for big name sighnings, which obviously big clubs need to be able to do.
My other worry is that with our debt we will find it hard to keep hold of our own star players due to not being able to afford new contracts. Wenger has already hinted that sighning contracts with Henry, Pires and Viera will be a hard task and reporters have added we may not be able to keep hold of them. However, Viera has today pledged his future to Arsenal, but Pires looks very uncertain.

As an Arsenal fan i am very worried, it's unlikely that a club of Arsenal's stature could go into administration, but look what happened to Fiorentina.
Sun 11/05/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Arsenal_mania wrote:
> I also agree that Arsenal have thrown away chances in matches just
> like they threw away the title. But here's to the future and
> hopefully a succesful future.

I think that's because Arsenal are crap under pressure.
Sat 10/05/03 at 23:15
Regular
"Jose Antonio-Legend"
I also agree that Arsenal have thrown away chances in matches just like they threw away the title. But here's to the future and hopefully a succesful future.
Fri 09/05/03 at 22:47
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I agree with Solskjaer here.

We should've had Leeds dead and buried with the amount of chances we had.
But we were unlucky, hitting the woodwork 4 or 5 times.
Usually it's Wiltord on the end of low crosses, or Ljungberg. Henry usually assists, but can also regularly be seen scoring from close range.
That's another factor as to why we haven't done as well as we could have done this season - Ljungberg and Pires have never equalled the quality of their performances of the double-winning season.

They took their few chances, we didn't take enough of our many.
Fri 09/05/03 at 15:32
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I was very surprised to see Arsénal waste so-many chances against Leeds on Sunday...

And I'm not on about Pires' brilliant top-cornerers from 25-yards, or even Gilberto's outside-of-the-right-foot-Roberto Carlos-style-bender...

Players like Pires were beating defender-after-defender, working their way into the box, feeding it across the goal-line brilliantly... But with no-one else there to meet it!

I had never noticed this before, but since Ian Wright and Nicolas Anelka left, Arsénal have never really had the type of player you would call an "out-and-out striker" - like van Nistelrooy, Beattie, Fowler, or Shearer. They've got Bergkamp, Henry, Kanu, and a few others - but they're the type of players you play BEHIND your Ruud van Nistelrooy, in that Paul Scholes/Ryan Giggs supporting-role.

(And no, Francis Jeffers doesn't really count! :P )

People are on about them needing new defenders...
But with the number and types of chances they can create - so easily aswell - if Arséne Wenger has to spend that "measley" £15m in just one place, I feel it should be on a player like Djibrill Cissé - a man who will be there on the goal-line to fine the back of the next like Ruud van Nistelrooy has been doing over-40-times, this season-alone!!
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:14
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
The reason Arsenal can't compete with Man Utd financially at the moment is because we're trying to compete with Man Utd financially. With this stadiumn (which IMO is CRUCIAL to Arsenal's future, if they want to be a huge European club there's no excuse for a tiny 40,000 stadium.

Of course Man Utd ARE the richest club in the world. So it's stiff competition.
Thu 08/05/03 at 20:07
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Jive wrote:
> I'll add a think here

> I'd just like to ask all you "armchair Arsenal" supports who
> is ACTUALLY making the trip to Cardiff with a ticket in their
> possession right now?
>
> Or more to the fact if you haven't even got a ticket, are you going to
> make the trip to Cardiff to show your support?
>
> The only person on here who I expect to see in Cardiff is Wookiee and
> if I see him I'd be only too willing to shake his hand and wish him
> luck, the rest of you BAH!

By default I would be what you would call an 'armchair' supporter, as I haven't been to a game home or away since about the 96/97 season...
after then we couldn't afford to go anymore. Well thats not strictly true, I did get to see one game since then away at boreham wood in a preseason friendly a few years back.

As for the forthcoming final, I can't afford to go, I probably wouldn't be able to get tickets, neither can I get to cardiff as I have exams for my final year (and I can't afford to travel there aswell)

I have registered with arsenal.com my interest in getting a season ticket/tickets for matches in the ashburton grove stadium when I hopefully will have a job and transport.
For my limited means I think I'm a good supporter of the club and I don't appreciate being looked down upon in this way (as it was implied) because I don't have a ticket to the final.
I think Meka put it best when he said:
"So I don't need to tell you what you can do with that 'BAH!'"
Thu 08/05/03 at 19:27
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
Jive wrote:
> Well the whole post was aimed at "armchair Arsenal" fans or
> can you not read? If your not an Arsenal fan then this doesn't apply
> to you!

Amen
Thu 08/05/03 at 18:52
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Yeah, because we're all rolling in cash.

Your a writer, your excused until you hit the big time! :P

> I'm not even an Arsenal fan

Well the whole post was aimed at "armchair Arsenal" fans or can you not read? If your not an Arsenal fan then this doesn't apply to you!
Thu 08/05/03 at 18:47
Regular
Jive wrote:
> I'll add a think here
>
> I think I have a ticket for the FA Cup Final....oh hang on a second,
> nope I know that for a fact as it's now in my hand as I sit here
> typing this one handed :)
>
> possession right now?
>
> Or more to the fact if you haven't even got a ticket, are you going to
> make the trip to Cardiff to show your support?
>

I simply don't have the money.
18 with no job.
I may in the summer go out and buy the home kit with vieira on the back..
I've been highbury a few times, most of it we lost but the best moment was seeing Ian wright beat Cliff bastins record with my own eyes.
Thu 08/05/03 at 18:28
Regular
"not dead"
Jive wrote:
>
> possession right now?
>

Yeah, because we're all rolling in cash.

I'm not even an Arsenal fan, but I am an armchair footie fan, simply becfause with a wife and two children I simply don't have the cash to buy tickets to football matches, or, indeed, travel half way across the country.

So I don't need to tell you what you can do with that 'BAH!'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.