GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"100 Greatest Movie Stars"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/05/03 at 08:13
Regular
Was on C4 on Sunday/Monday. Didn't see 100-40, but the top 40 was mostly balls. Al Pacino as number 1? Sod that. Morgan Freeman below Samuel L Jackson? Sod that. Ewan McGregor in the top 10? Sod that!

I'm going to rewrite the list when I have time, which is never. At least they got Harrison Ford high up there. They didn't mention Indiana Jones and the Problem with Piles, though. Mishter Connerrrry was high up too, which was good. Didn't expect to see Jimmy Stewart or Humphrey Bogart so low. Also, the film critic saying Brad Pitt is a "deeply beautiful" man is very very gay.

So, yeah, comments. And also, Guy Pearce wasn't in the Top 40. Neither was Jason Lee, William H Macy, Sean Bean or the guy who played Kit Fisto in Attack of the Clones :D I am angered.
Sun 11/05/03 at 00:28
Regular
"we escape....."
so who wud u ppl say is the best actor of all time?
My vote goes to jimmy stewart although i've only seen a handful of his movies if u look at some of the films he has made it is easy to see y i made this choice. there is also quite a range of movies his starred in. He made Harvey and Winchester '73 in the same year both incredibly big cult classics and very critically acclaimed especially harvey. Harvey at the time a familiar role for stewart from that of It's a wonderful life, in that they were both feel good film, in harvey he befriends a six foot rabbit called harvey. Quite the alternative in his next role the same year winchester'73 where he plays a man who traces a stolen winchester rifle and goes through many owners in order to locate the possessor of it,where in the end and most infamous shot out occurs. This film was sed to be the western to revive the western genre at the box office. He also starred in another different type of film in the biopic of Glenn Millar although sed to be fairly whitewashed of glenn millar's life but stewart again won critcal acclaim. The westerns stewart followed on with in the fifties were also magnificent most notably of the five The Naked Spur. here stewart plays a bounty hunter looking to capture a man with $5,000 price tag, this was sed to be stewart's most brutal role of his career. A much earlier film for stewart but again varied greatly to his later role was the greatly acclaimed where he plays an "impulsive, wrong-moving ordinary guy". A bit later on after this film Stewart made Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, again a completely different style of a acting was to be adapted perfectly by Stewart. Stewart is put into place as the new junior senator by politician's who feel he is an optimist that could be controlled by the american political system. He is seen as a corrupt person who is then taken to the senate to be tried here Jimmy Stewart portray's one of his most powerful roles and has to defend himself alone against the house, as time goes on he wins the support of the gallaries within the senate, eventually the chief senator confesses his true guilt and Stewart's character is pardoned by the senate. By the late 1950's Stewart was now coherently starring in Thriller's aswell as western's, such thrillers included the man who new too much, where he plays a man who witnesses a man's murder in morroco but before the man dies he informs stewart of an assasination attempt in london, stewart's son is then kidnapped by the assassins who use him to stop stewart from informing the scotland yard. Stewart follows the abductor to london where he attempts to save his son and prevent the assasination. thinking about it now the plot is very much like 24 series one. i guess 24 used this film for some inspiration. Sadly stewart doesn't quite produce a baueresque role that we wud be used to but instead produces his own intense style of saving the day. The hitchcock thriller's were also hailed as timeless classics both in their time and today. These include the likes of Rear Window and Vertigo, Vertigo being voted in Channel 4's top 20 movies of all time. Again a lot down to Stewart's acting abilities. Other trademark cult classics stewart has starred in, include the great "the man who shot liberty valance", with an all star cast including john wayne as the recently deceased tom doniphon, Stewart goesto tom's funeral where he tells the locals of the story about how he became known as "the man who shot liberty valance (lee marvin)". Liberty Valance hold stewart character up from aspiring to the senate by beating him. in the end he reveals that it was really tom who shot liberty, but tom sed it was really stewart character in order for stewart to have a great life in the US senate. The same year stewart was to again appear with wayne in amongst a large all star cast in "how the west was won". The two also appeared in Wayne's greatest role as "the Shootist". The big sleep was probably stewart's last great role. The last feature role stewart contributed to was an american tail before his death in 1997. But he has left an incredible legacy and at the same time stars in the only film guaranteed to be on every year (it's a wonderful life).
I think that's all the justification i can come up with tonight with as to why i think stewart is the greatest actor of all time. I'm sure there are other classics i forgot to mention, but he for me is one of the all time greats. A close second though has to be charlton heston.
who do u think is the greatest actor?
Tue 06/05/03 at 23:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Totally agree about Sean Bean, great man.
Tue 06/05/03 at 23:29
Regular
Tell me this.
Was Bruce Willis in it?

DIE HARD!
Tue 06/05/03 at 23:28
Regular
davidsobell wrote:
>
> I think there acting skills are amazing and better than Arnold
> Swarzenegger(sp) saying "I'll be back"

--

Movie stars, moron. It's been said many times. I'm annoyed John C Reilly isn't in there, but he's not a huge movie star. Neither are you.
Tue 06/05/03 at 23:26
Regular
Sean Bean is the greatest. They should cast him in every film. Think about it.

Titanic, starring Sean Bean

"I love you Jack"
"Eh up, want a shag?"
"Yes, but it's got to be meaningful and beautiful"
"Ah, balls to that, I'm off t'chippie"
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:10
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I was MAD that there was no

Edward Norton
Alan Rickman
Steve Buscemi

I think there acting skills are amazing and better than Arnold Swarzenegger(sp) saying "I'll be back"
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:10
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Noobst@r wrote:
> But Thom Yorke isn't a movie star either...

I wasn't talking to you. I know it looked that way but I just forgot to press post for a while. I was just pointing out to some others.
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:08
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Robert Downey Jr at number 60 or so though. Hell yeah! He is the man. I'd have preferred higher but that'll have to do. I wasn't expecting to see him in there to be honest.

But no Sean Bean. DUDE! What the hell is wrong with people. And Ed Norton. I haven't seen 100-55 yet so I'll watch that tonight but I've heard Norton and Ian McKellen were absent from the list. Which is disgusting.
Tue 06/05/03 at 19:55
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
But Thom Yorke isn't a movie star either...
Tue 06/05/03 at 19:48
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
It was movie STARS though, not actors. If it were based on acting abilities only, I don't think Arnold Schwarzeneggar would have been at number 54.

Still, I wouldn't have agreed with a lot of them. De Niro should have beaten Pacino I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.