GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bullett."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/07/05 at 01:19
Regular
My brother is in America for work and phoned me about buying a PSP asking whether he will get taxed badly for it. So I said I didn't know and he has bought one anyway and is getting one for me xD

But, well, the thing is... I hear some games can be WiFi'd well how easy would that be to play with specific people. I.E. You? Or don’t you choose your opponent is it just a "quick match" so to speak.

Secondly, what is all this memory stick talk about?

And lastly Does PSP have the same wireless as DS as in do you need 2 copies of the game to play with 2 people or just the 1, like Mario does on the Nintendo DS (I think?)

Ta.
Fri 15/07/05 at 01:19
Regular
My brother is in America for work and phoned me about buying a PSP asking whether he will get taxed badly for it. So I said I didn't know and he has bought one anyway and is getting one for me xD

But, well, the thing is... I hear some games can be WiFi'd well how easy would that be to play with specific people. I.E. You? Or don’t you choose your opponent is it just a "quick match" so to speak.

Secondly, what is all this memory stick talk about?

And lastly Does PSP have the same wireless as DS as in do you need 2 copies of the game to play with 2 people or just the 1, like Mario does on the Nintendo DS (I think?)

Ta.
Fri 15/07/05 at 07:57
Regular
"Mozzy"
Can only answer one question, and that is about the Memory stick. I dunno what you actually want to know about them so i'll just let you know that when you get the PSP (if it's a value pack) it comes with a 32Mb memory stick, but you can buy 512Mb, 1Gb and 2Gb sticks now so that you can rip your DVDs and transfer them onto your PSP.

I've tried it and it works pretty good. You can also download emulators and roms for lots of consoles (Gameboy, SNES, SEGA Genesis etc etc).

Can somebody tell me what you need to play online with your PSP? Im curious.
Fri 15/07/05 at 10:30
Regular
Hey, nice going Creepu :D

Customs-wise, he should be ok just stuffing it in his suitcase. I've never heard of the outcome of that option either way, so it's probably a case of hoping the customs officers are in a good mood and let him pass.

Strid explained the Memory Stick thang quite nicely - although you won't be able to use emulators etc. as all PSP's on the shelves today areon the new firmware which blocks that - even if you do get an older one, newer games are forcing you to upgrade or you can't play proper PSP games either :S

I've only had short wi-fi experience with actual 'online play' and not 'link to your mate sat next to you'. It was a tad laggy and there didn't seem to be any way of joining with certain people - although I could create a server called 'Rob's UK Game' and you look for it and join. This was with Twisted Metal - a game I wouldn't recommend too well.

To get on wi-fi, you just need a wireless modem/router/access point - flick the wireless switch on the side and set up a connection - it'll scan for your wireless network and it's as easy as that.

I think for ad-hoc multiplayer, each person needs a copy of the game - although there is a 'Game Sharing' option in the home menu, like the DS 'Game Download' feature - which would suggest single-UMD multiplayer.

Soooo, what games are you getting?
Fri 15/07/05 at 10:41
Regular
Theres also a little trick that lets you play multi-player with one game UMD, involving starting up the game with P1, then taking the disk out and sticking it in P2's PSP.

Dunno if it works or anything, but thats what ive read...
Fri 15/07/05 at 13:55
Regular
I was thinking: Wipeout, FIFA ('Cause my brother loves it so much and he'll get it) and that puzzle game.

Are those memory sticks pricey then?
Fri 15/07/05 at 15:45
Regular
"Mozzy"
Got mine from Ebay for £40. (521Mb)

I have £40 to get a game, but im not too sure about Hotshots. :(

FIFA looks fun but how far away is Pro Evo's release?
Fri 15/07/05 at 16:35
Regular
Good choice on games Josh. I wouldn't bother waiting for Pro Evo, I doubt it'll be out this year (I'd like to be proven wrong though).

512Mb is more than enough for a memory stick - at about £35-45 depending on where you shop. I got a 1Gb one for £90 - you can get them for about £70 if you look around, I just went for somewhere that could get me it the next day.
Fri 15/07/05 at 16:36
Regular
rargh
Fri 15/07/05 at 16:49
Regular
Also, to give you an idea on what you can get on a DUO, my 1Gb has a full copy of Anchorman on, a load of saves, Wipeout DLC and about 90 music tracks - there's still about 120Mb left.
Fri 15/07/05 at 16:50
Regular
Added you on MSN bullet...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.