GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Slipknot tuning...Eh? (Ignore if u can't play guitar!)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/04/03 at 20:03
Regular
Today i picked up an old guitar mag and found a song by slipknot tabbed out. I decided to give it a go. Since they're a grunge band, i guessed it would be in drop D tuning. I played the song through and thought it sounded ok, then tried it with the backing track on the CD. I have only just realised why it sounded so wrong: You DO drop D....then take every single string down a further 3 frets!!! It's MAD! The bottom string goes down to a B for christs sake!!! And a warning to all guitarists: NEVER play ANYTHING by slipknot unless your string gauge is at least [.053-.014]. Plus the tempo of this song (people=) is 237 bpm! So really all in all, being able to play at this pitch and speed seems to make slipknot a pretty talented bunch...

Any thoughts?
Thu 08/05/03 at 00:02
"I love yo... lamp."
Tue 06/05/03 at 16:26
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Judah Ben-Hur wrote: It IS pointless, haven't you heard of Avril Lavigne?

The brits:
1 bassist.
2 guitarists.
15 drummers.

Point?
Sun 04/05/03 at 14:45
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
Mess wrote:
> I love the sound Slipknot get out of two drummers. My dad says it's
> pointless and you might as well have just one, but he hasn't heard any
> of their stuff.

It IS pointless, haven't you heard of Avril Lavigne?
Sun 04/05/03 at 14:44
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
All the people with awful musical tastes are coming out the woodwork now.

*schemes*

*forgets how to spell*

*revises atop a salmon*
Sun 04/05/03 at 13:04
Regular
"keep your receipt"
I love the sound Slipknot get out of two drummers. My dad says it's pointless and you might as well have just one, but he hasn't heard any of their stuff.
Fri 02/05/03 at 19:56
Regular
"Far Beyond Metal"
Yeah, ive got it. I don't really listen to it much. The main song that I got it for was My Plague. That song rules! :D
Fri 02/05/03 at 19:40
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Anyone here have the slipknot album "IOWA"? I ordered it a few days ago. Best songs: Left Behind and People =
Fri 02/05/03 at 01:55
"I love yo... lamp."
Depends on the publisher of the tab book. Music Sales stuff is generally pretty decent, as its often done with the band. Especially Coldplay stuff and their unusual tunings.
Thu 01/05/03 at 20:05
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
>The guitar that Mick Thompson uses is a BC Rich
> Warlock and his signature one, like the one he plays, is just a 6
> stringer. I can't remember off the top of my head what Root plays. But
> it just tuned down.

On EVERY Slipknot song and on stage Root plays a:

Jackson SLP guitar (6 stringer) through a Mesa/Boogie DC10 head and Mesa/Carvin 4x12 cabs, supplemented by a Dunlop Rotovibe and a Digitech Whammy pedal.

Thomson uses his custom BC Rich Warlock guitar (Definatly a 6 stringer!!!) into a Marshall JMP 1 programmable tube preamp, feeding a Mesa/Boogie Simulclass 2:95/0 power amp, with a Boss GX700 effects unit.
Mon 28/04/03 at 14:48
"...Unicef pennies.."
monkey_man wrote:
> Some tab books rip you off because they
> just put "Ad. Lib", or "Effects" in places where
> the tabber can't figure it out. Fact.

That's pretty lame of them!

They aren't all such lazy goits though. I found a complete tab for Eddie van Halen's solo in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" on the internet.

Needless to say I can't play it, but it was still an impressive bit of guitar work to tab out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.