GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SARS - Global killer?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/04/03 at 22:01
Regular
I know my concern is rooted in books such as the stand and films like 12 monkeys, but are we doing enough about this problem?

I'm watching the news now and apparently we are letting people fly here from beijing without being checked at all for the virus. Shouldn't we have a plan for this sort of event? Should we just sit here and wait til it gets out of hand before we do something?

As far as I can gather they are simply 'recommending' people do not fly to these zones, or out of them. It is ridiculous when you consider what is at stake. Shouldn't we be quarantining these places?

I realise this virus is not the scale of project blue in the stand, but I've never heard of such a half-hearted attempt to contain the viruses. We had a more aggressive stance to foot and mouth!!

If this casual approach to viruses continue, surely we'll be wiped out before long......
Thu 24/04/03 at 11:57
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It's still quite worrying that a virus is catching up with Malaria and the likes so quickly.
Thu 24/04/03 at 11:54
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
SARs is in its infancy, the fact that it can kill so many people in such a small time, and manage to migrate its way around the world is very worrying. You forget that its managed to kill 1000 people in a few weeks, it hasn't had a year to kill as many people as malaria does in a year.

Because its a new disease it will start of with small number of infection, but there is a real worry that this number will grow exponentially as each person carrying this virus infects many others.

To compare such an unknown factor to a well established disease is not a fair comparison.
Thu 24/04/03 at 11:46
Regular
SARS is not a major issue.

It has only killed around 1,300 people.

Malaria kills around a million every year, surely this should be a bigger worry?

The only reason SARS is on the news so much is because they want something to replace the war.

No one has died from it in this country yet, dispite the fact that we have had cases of it, because we have a decent health system. Chine does not, which is why people are dying from it.
Thu 24/04/03 at 10:48
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
SARs is a serious worry. We have now had a local infection within the UK, in London. Which means somebody contracted SARs without ever leaving the country. Not a particular good thing. Local chains of infection mean that the virus has the potential to become widespread among the population.

The current theory as to wear it comes from go as so:

"Sars appears to be caused by a new strain of the corona virus, which may have "jumped" from animals to humans. "
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2971841.stm)

I have my own theories as to were the virus came from and as to why China have been so slow to confess all the facts.
Thu 24/04/03 at 10:41
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Questions.

If the outbreak occured in the USA or UK then we'd all be suspecting terrorism, yes ? This virus is an adaptation of the common cold, and appears to be engineered to mutate.

Instead, it occurs in Asia - where lets not forget terrorism is well alive - and terrorism is hardly mentioned.

I'm 50% suspicious of this.
Wed 23/04/03 at 23:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I am interested to know where the virus originated from and what was the cause of the recent outbreak of it. Is it a natural thing or is it man made. Also can we rule out the chance that someone released it knowing how serious it could be?

I seen the thing on the news and was surprised that they don't screen people arriving as well. Seems odd, I just think it would be better to double check just to be sure.
Wed 23/04/03 at 22:01
Regular
I know my concern is rooted in books such as the stand and films like 12 monkeys, but are we doing enough about this problem?

I'm watching the news now and apparently we are letting people fly here from beijing without being checked at all for the virus. Shouldn't we have a plan for this sort of event? Should we just sit here and wait til it gets out of hand before we do something?

As far as I can gather they are simply 'recommending' people do not fly to these zones, or out of them. It is ridiculous when you consider what is at stake. Shouldn't we be quarantining these places?

I realise this virus is not the scale of project blue in the stand, but I've never heard of such a half-hearted attempt to contain the viruses. We had a more aggressive stance to foot and mouth!!

If this casual approach to viruses continue, surely we'll be wiped out before long......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.