GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SARS - Global killer?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/04/03 at 22:01
Regular
I know my concern is rooted in books such as the stand and films like 12 monkeys, but are we doing enough about this problem?

I'm watching the news now and apparently we are letting people fly here from beijing without being checked at all for the virus. Shouldn't we have a plan for this sort of event? Should we just sit here and wait til it gets out of hand before we do something?

As far as I can gather they are simply 'recommending' people do not fly to these zones, or out of them. It is ridiculous when you consider what is at stake. Shouldn't we be quarantining these places?

I realise this virus is not the scale of project blue in the stand, but I've never heard of such a half-hearted attempt to contain the viruses. We had a more aggressive stance to foot and mouth!!

If this casual approach to viruses continue, surely we'll be wiped out before long......
Fri 25/04/03 at 16:59
Regular
so Rosalind, I'm interested to know - is the human race doomed? I read somewhere that the guy who discovered penicilin warned that one day it would be our undoing - that the use of antibiotics would only force viruses to adapt, and when that happens, and we no longer have a viable weapon, we would be left defenceless against increasingly aggressive and efficient viruses?

Also another theory that interests me - our increasingly 'clean' 1st world is weakening all our immune systems meaning even minor infections can become debilitating or even fatal. Is the civilised world we live in too hygienic. i hear a lot of allergies are caused by the body reacting to normal things such as dust and pet hair, as it is over sensitive, due to not having to work on beating real infections.

Just a few questions, as I don't get the chance to ask people in the know very often ....
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Rosalind wrote:
> bit of background on me. I work in Cancer research developing an
> Adjuvant for Vaccines.
>
> I think its possible that a Lab in China were studying the virus,
> trying to find a treatment for colds. And didn't take proper
> precautions because after all its just a cold virus. The virus could
> have become mutated during the research.
>
> It would explain why China have been so cagey about fessing up to the
> whole thing, and it makes a good story. Probably not true though.

I was pretty sure I'd read what you do before, which is why I was interested in your theory.
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:48
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
bit of background on me. I work in Cancer research developing an Adjuvant for Vaccines.

I think its possible that a Lab in China were studying the virus, trying to find a treatment for colds. And didn't take proper precautions because after all its just a cold virus. The virus could have become mutated during the research.

It would explain why China have been so cagey about fessing up to the whole thing, and it makes a good story. Probably not true though.
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:43
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Rosalind wrote:
> I have my own theories on that.

What are they??
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Rosalind wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2972109.stm

"Experts warn that the disease could be worse than AIDS."

Please.... How many people recover from being HIV positive?

Scaremongers.
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I have my own theories on that.
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:38
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Why not? The Flu virus is essensially a new virus every 'Flu season', and yet that still manages to spread around the world and kill thousands of people. I fail to see the difference.

The mention of more established killers is simply to draw attention to how rediculous the hype around SARS is. Nobody cares how any Africans die of Malaria, or South Americans die of TB - yet a few deaths, mostly in China with there crap health service, and the world panics and buys a mask.

I repeat, a vast majority of those contracting SARS and more importantly, seeking medical help, are surviving. The fact that Pneumonia has been around for longer does nothing to relieve the potency of this infection. But are the media thrashing wildy about over this 'Killer Virus'

No.

I'm more interested to know the origins of this new virus...
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:37
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2972109.stm
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I repeat you cannot compare an established virus with one in its infancy.
Thu 24/04/03 at 12:04
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
The whole SARS thing is an incredible act of media manipulation, and nothing more. People are being whipped into a frenzy, for no reason at all.

Firstly, SARS is, as stated, a strain of the Coronavirus which is commonly associated with colds. So SARS is dubbed by the press as being 'Killer Pneumonia'. This is a pretty much redundant phrase, as lots of types of pneumonia can kill you. In fact, more people have died from pneumonia this year in the UK than SARS. More people have died globally form Pneumonia than they have from SARS, in the same period of time.

Three million people a year still die from Tuberculosis, three million from Malaria. Influenza kills tens of thousands of people every winter. And yet, a handful of people catch SARS, only 3% of them die. Spanish flu killed 20 million people, one third of those infected.

The media blathers on about 'no vaccine or cure' being available. Yet despite this, 97% of those contracting SARS and more importantly, getting treatment for it are successfully fighting of the virus themselves. Well, I'm shocked at how rampant this Killer is. Viral infections are very hard to provide vaccines for, or even treat. We still rely on the body's natural defences to pull people through.

There is something fairly suspicious about the whole thing....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.