GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm unchained"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/04/03 at 09:29
Regular
I've mentioned this before but I don't care. I know a lot of you are sick and tired of the topics I post but I don't care about that either. This is for thoses of you who care enough to be interested in what I write, but mostly this is for me. I have some sort of need to get this expressed. Screw anyone of you who critises me for posting this, or for whhat I am about to post. The problem is with you, not with me.

For a few months I have undergone a rather radical change in my life.I used have faith in God. The God. The one in the bible. The one with the commandments and the moral code I was supposed to live my life by.

I could never live up to the particular moral code that I was supposed to live my life by of course. Things that I was supposed to find wrong I just couldn't. I couldn't find it in my heart to believe that there is anything wrong with finding your soulmate in a person of the same sex. If its Love then how could it be wrong?

As alot of you know I live with my boyfriend. Last December we got engaged, but before that we lived together in exactly the same way. According to the bible I was sinning. I was having sex with someone whom I wasn't married to. My sex life suffered greatly. I would make excuses so I didn't have to do it, and then when I did, I would feel guilty afterwards. But I couldn't give my boyfriend up, as much as Christians whom I had asked for advice had warned against me partnering myself with a non-christian, it just didn't feel wrong to me. It felt so right.

This God who I belived in was supposed to love me. I have never felt that. I have never felt watched over I have never felt protected.

I went through an amazingly bad time trying to get to grips with all this. But I have come out of feeling amazing. I know for certain sure that the God that I have believed in for my life so far does not exist. He is a myth that has kept me in chains all my life and made me dissaprove of things that in my heart I can't believe are wrong.

I feel so liberated now. Like someone has untied me and set me free to live my own life, but Its also a little scary as if my security blanket had been taken away from me. Its taken me a while to adjust to the fact that i will die, and then I'll be dead. (I realise that sounds a bit mental). I still find myself being dissaproving of something, and then wondering why.

Bottom line, I'm still adjusting, but I'm happier than ever.
Thu 24/04/03 at 10:39
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Glad to see you come out of this with a smile, Ros.

:)
Thu 24/04/03 at 09:15
Regular
I have no problem with faith. It's religion that bothers me. Two entirely seperate things. Remember what all mighty Rufus says in Dogma - It's better to have an idea than a belief. You can change an idea, you can't change a belief. People die for it.

If you believe in God, thats your own choice. But in no way does belief in God and adherring to the Bible go hand in hand.

Also, I'm going to quote Loki, from Dogma (again):

"To me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensure the destruction of one's inner-being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions...by inhibiting our decisions, out of...out of fear of some...some intangible parent figure who...who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says...and says, "Do it--Do it and I'll f***in' spank you!"
Thu 24/04/03 at 08:56
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Welcome to the wonderful world of free will. But don't blame God; it's not his fault that a bunch of power hungry, totalitarian morons ended up running his churches.
Thu 24/04/03 at 07:15
Regular
Yay Ros, join us sinners.

And the best part is that if you do change your mind five minutes in confession and you're back to having a clean slate with the man upstairs.
Like they say, 'it's better to have sinned and repented than never to have sinned at all'.

Heresy rules :^)
Thu 24/04/03 at 01:10
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Hercules! wrote:
> Excellent! Excellent!
>
> No disrespect to anyone who believes in God and all that lot, but I
> know for a fact that I dont. To be honest, I detest the whole
> 'religion' thing. I cant understand how people can believe and worship
> things that they have never seen or something. Its like slavery.
> Bah.
>
> If anything, you are your own god.

It's about faith. You have faith in something you can't prove, you just 'know' and that's all there is to it.

Well, not for all of us \o/
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:49
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Hey - really glad you're feeling happier in yourself.

People should take both pleasure and pain, by that I mean more emotionally not physically, as it is dealt to them without questioning why all the time and looking for deeper meanings. Is there a price for all this joy? Why is this happening to me etc.?

Enjoy the good times, work through the bad times and just move your life on. It's all part of living and it's fun.
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:07
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Excellent! Excellent!

No disrespect to anyone who believes in God and all that lot, but I know for a fact that I dont. To be honest, I detest the whole 'religion' thing. I cant understand how people can believe and worship things that they have never seen or something. Its like slavery. Bah.

If anything, you are your own god.
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:05
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I wouldn't really descrbe myself as an atheist, I think an atheist would say there IS no god. At the moment I'd rather say I don't know if there is a god or a higher being or whatever. I'm more of an agnostic, and for the time being I'm staying that way.
Wed 23/04/03 at 13:12
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Being an aetheist is great and I highly recommend it. There's just one drawback: like the rest of humanity there's that little "What if I'm wrong?" question niggling away at the back of your mind.

However the advantages of being non-religious are huge compared to this one minor disadvantage.
Wed 23/04/03 at 10:35
Regular
"bing bang bong"
*round of applause*

I'm lucky, I don't come from a Christian family (well I do, but it wasn't foisted on me). I had the chance to try 'God' out and I took it, but he didn't have any answers for me. Religion seemed to fly in the face of a science and universe that seemed so logical, and I didn't believe. A lot of people I see in Churches are there because they've always been there. For you to take a brave decision like that to try and improve your life, and for it to actually work, is something I can't congratulate you on highly enough. Too many people have the flock mentality, not just in religion but in all walks of life, just look at a group of townies.

You were not a sheep all that time, fancy that heh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.