GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to become a UK Game Designer?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/07/05 at 22:49
"MSR"
Hi I am Eseer and I want to be a game designer.

(Relates to Sony PS1-2-3 by.... umm if you want to design a PS3 game one day?)

I have rougth but not so sure ideas of how to become a game designer while living in the United Kingdom.

1- Create a Computer game at home and take it to a company.

2-

Do a
ICT Foundation Course (1 year)

and then a

ICT Intermediate Courses (1 Year)

to get the grades to do a

BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners Course.(2 Years) (software)

After passing with good grades apply at a University for a

Game Design Course.(3 Years)

After you come out of this course you should be ready to be employed.

Please reply if you agree, disagree or know of a diffrent way.

By Eseer
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:28
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> And EA are scum.

EA are probably the most secure job in gaming, however ;). They're not likely to go bust tomorrow.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:27
Regular
You'll get into the US if you can do a job which is in short demand or get sponsored by an employer, so if you can get EA to give you a job before you move, then maybe, if not, maybe not. I don't know very much about immigration laws, so I really can't give you definitive advice on that subject.

Probably the same situation in Canada, knowing French would probably help, both with Ubisoft and with moving to Canada :-).

Even then, I didn't say it wouldn't be possible for you to get a jjob in the UK doing what you want, just making sure you are aware that it might be very difficult and that you have thought about what you'll do if you can't get that job :).
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:26
Regular
"Jackpot!"
Lol, I edited it...it's too far for somebody who is broke. XD
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:23
Regular
"8==="
Vergil wrote:
>
> I mean, I always like ubisoft, but if there aren't any based in
> england, then I'd have to move to france, and I can't actually speak
> french very well at all.

CANADA!!!

Read my post below. :P

And EA are scum.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:22
Regular
"8==="
I like the indpendent developers who run around getting published by different people.

The Collective for instance.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:22
Regular
"Jackpot!"
So bonus, do you reckon the american embassy would allow me to move over there, to get into EA, if I had to?

I mean, I always like ubisoft, but if there aren't any based in england, then I'd have to move to france, and I can't actually speak french very well at all.

So, that leaves Sony here and any company in america.

Edit: Oh ok Hedfix, thanks. Although canada is a litte far for somebody who wants to get their first job in the gaming industry, as I have no money, and haven't had a job before lol.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:21
Regular
"8==="
Ubisoft have a large setup in Canada and sponsor a gaming university type thing in the same city that they're based.

Definately worth a look since everyone's going to know english. :)
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:21
"period drama"
Still ... little teams of goodliness.
Bah.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:20
Regular
Free Radical are a developer, now published by EA.

Rockstar North were once DMA Designs, they're now owned by the Rockstar brand, which was once Gremlin, or took over Gremlin which is a part of the Take-Two publishing group.

Psygnosis is now part of SCEE too, they're SCEE Liverpool, don't know how much of the publishing side still runs though. They did publish Lemmings for DMA Designs.
Mon 25/07/05 at 13:20
Regular
"8==="
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> You need
> something like that for games, or you're just strangling the
> creativity everyone is yearning for.

Steam (on PC anyway).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.