GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your Web Design Preferences ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/04/03 at 16:17
Regular
Okay,

Just a little advice needed. I've been designing websites for years and am pretty well drilled on HTML, PHP, JavaScript, and a few other bits and pieces, but would like to know what is currently considered the best way of designing a website.

I've heard CSS being knocked around a little bit recently, is that being used as a way of designing a site?

What are your thoughts?
Mon 14/04/03 at 09:07
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
They can link to pages inside frames, and if you put a script in there to redirect if the top frames lengh == 0 it all works ok IMO.
Mon 14/04/03 at 01:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Because they can't link to pages inside frames.

On the whole, frames are a disaster for everybody concerned.
Sun 13/04/03 at 18:13
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
How do they confuse the search engine bots?
Sun 13/04/03 at 16:22
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Other downsides to frames is that they can make linking externally to your site difficult and they can confuse search engine bots. However, they do have uses.
Sun 13/04/03 at 11:47
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
There's a moral to this topic.
Sun 13/04/03 at 11:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> What res are you using cjh? I'm in 1024*768 and it looks cramped, but
> the adverts don't help. It only uses about 3/4 of my screen
> horizontally, I don't really know why it doesn't carry on going
> accross more, and reducing the need to scroll in the main frame.

I'm on 1024 * 768 and didn't think it looked to bad. All the content you wanted was in one section with one vertical scrollbar (for me anyway), as well as all the links and such being viewable.

I changed my settings to 800 * 600, and the site just fit in, however when clicking the left hand links, the menues which showed up went beond the page and didn't allow for scrolling, which isn't good.
Sun 13/04/03 at 10:50
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
>I don't really know why it doesn't carry on going
> accross more, and reducing the need to scroll in the main frame.

Oh, actually I answered that myself, it's (probably) for lower resolutions
Sun 13/04/03 at 10:49
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
What you say about the SR site is very true, but it is an extreme example since it has so many links, on a site with about 10 down one side, a frame can be very useful, and dare I say it, as long as you match border settings with the rest of the site, attractive.

You're also completely correct about browsers and screen sizes too, but an index page can be used to get the visitor to choose either a framed or non-framed section of the site based on their resolution (or, you could do this automatically with JavaScript, and get it to forward them to one section instantly - but this could cause problems in older browsers).

On the subject of browsers, with my website, the stats for user browsers are as follows:

Internet Explorer 6.x - 76.5 %
Internet Explorer 5.x - 20.6 %
Opera 7.x - 2.9 %

IE 6 and 5 make my site look identical. Admittedly there are some differences in opera, but my framed section still looks OK, and still makes it look perfectly visible.

What res are you using cjh? I'm in 1024*768 and it looks cramped, but the adverts don't help. It only uses about 3/4 of my screen horizontally, I don't really know why it doesn't carry on going accross more, and reducing the need to scroll in the main frame.
Sun 13/04/03 at 10:47
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> But I will admit they can easily make a site look very bad. And
> cramped. Like www.csports.net
>
> But I'll find you an example of a site that looks cool with frames.

Christ on a bike, that's the most broken website I've ever seen!
Sun 13/04/03 at 10:39
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, that site isn't half bad on my screen :)

Not sure what it would look like on a smaller res though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.