GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband pricing?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/04/03 at 14:01
Regular
Hi all - not been here for a long time, but I'm looking at Broadband options at the moment.

Freeola want £69 or so for activation, while BT are doing it for free. I have a modem already, so why should I spend the money with Freeola?

Or maybe Freeola are just a bit slow in changing their pricing?
Fri 18/04/03 at 15:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
doc693 wrote:
> If Freeola would just drop their activation charge, I'd probably join
> up.

But BT need money for the activation charge (£50 I think), so thats why ISPs charge activation fees otherwise they lose out on money.
Fri 18/04/03 at 10:38
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
If Freeola would just drop their activation charge, I'd probably join up.
Mon 14/04/03 at 16:02
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
adrian wrote:
> I am with Pipex and already pay a low monthly fee of £23.44 so I don't
> mind if the prices stay the same.

Don't mind, yes :)
But I wouldn't say no to a price cut :)
Mon 14/04/03 at 13:06
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Whooo! wrote:
> And will Freeola be dropping their prices in response to the recent
> drop in BT Wholesale prices?

Maybe, but BT are a bit misleading as they annouce these price cuts but there increasing other costs to do with ADSL. Go to www.adslguide.org.uk and look at the news archive and see a few articles about it.

Basically what BT have done is cut the line rental down, so on May 1st the new price for a 512K line will be £13.00 instead of £14.75. So that means that your ISP is paying £1.75 less a month for your line, so you could in theory say that a £1.75 a month reduction in price for your ADSL connection is fair. But this is where BT are misleading people, as they have increased costs for ISPs. The following was taken from a news articale from www.adslguide.org.uk

"Along with the news already released earlier of price cuts at the wholesale level for the end user connections, BT have also advised their customers that there will be a price RISE on the 155Mbps BT central product. This relates to a rise of £10,000 in the connection fee, and a £5000 rise in the Annual Rental. This rise will be designed to soften the blow of the cuts on the end user products. To quote BT,

On a per end user basis the increase in the BT Central 155Mbit/s price equates to approximately a 10p – 12p increase per month. However, when combined with the base BT IPStream price reductions, there is still clearly a significant net reduction in the end to end price per end user."

So you can actually see that these increases for pipes will mean that ISPs may see a saving of only a few pence, depending on how many users they have and how many pipes. I think quite alot of ISPs will actually keep the prices the same or only reduce them by a small margine. Iam with Pipex and already pay a low monthly fee of £23.44 so I don't mind if the prices stay the same.
Mon 14/04/03 at 12:35
Regular
"How Handy."
And will Freeola be dropping their prices in response to the recent drop in BT Wholesale prices?
Sun 13/04/03 at 16:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
HAHAHA YOU POSTED THAT TWICE YOU MUST SUCK LOLK
Sun 13/04/03 at 13:13
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Bah.
Sun 13/04/03 at 13:13
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
BTopenworld's not too bad - but then I do get it at a reduced price :op
Sun 13/04/03 at 13:11
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
BTopenworld's not to bad - but then I do get it at a reduced price :op
Sun 13/04/03 at 10:33
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'd pass on BT myself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.