GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An rant about God"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 19:50
Regular
Ok, I do not mean to offend anyone on this forum, But i'm currently in an angry mood and i'd like to make an angry post. Firstly I do not beleive in God at all, If you do - good for you! And i'd like to talk about some issues....

So, this war in Iraq. I never wanted war and many others don't, But anyway its currently in process. Innocent civilians have been harmed or are currently dead. Which is quite a disturbing fact, So why does'nt God step in and stop this evil? Why does'nt he stop the pain and sufferage people are expeciancing over there in Baghdad? If hes "God the Almighty" why does'nt he control the things that happen on this planet?

In many many countries there is poverty, Children having to walk 2 or 3 miles to fetch a drop of dirty water that could kill them. Why is God letting this happen, He created this world right? He owns this world right? So why is he not doing anything?

Evil lurks everywhere, Murder, Rape, Torture - Why is God letting this happen? Well many of your might say "He cannot be in everyplace at once" well is'nt he "God the Almighty, Ruler of the world?"

Discuss.
Wed 09/04/03 at 22:25
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Well for one thing the amount of civilians who have died in the iraq qar is tiny compared with the numbers who would die if saddam was allowed to continue. Yes bad things happen. If god did exist he would not step in though. He/she would see it as something we should do ourselves. Instead of whining about god not doing anything people could be doing somethng themselves. I could go on but i don't want to bore you.

Just look at the info on tv though. Do the iraqi people seem to be objecting to the end of saddam? doesn't look like it. So think.

Have a nice day
Wed 09/04/03 at 22:10
"possibly impossible"
The boulder thing merely tests our capacity for rational thought outside of our own universe and tells us how limited we are as humans. The capacity for trying to apply human logic to anything we don’t understand has got us exactly where we are now, in the middle of a war.

Humans create war, they create borders and disputes, differences in religions or racial differences which they then fight over. Why would a God intervene when the whole reason some think we were created is to live our own lives with freedom to think and believe what we want. We have become our own worst enemy.

Religion doesn’t start wars, people start wars and use religion, race, borders and other differences as excuses. We are afraid of what we do not understand, afraid to believe in something different. It’s a human condition that is probably more prevalent in this small island than many other places. How long did it take for many people to stop hating the Germans? How many still hate a race for something their forefathers did?

The whole ‘He’ issue of God goes back to times when a patriarchal society ruled (some feminists would suggest it still does). He was meant to mean he/she or it. The change in language over time has not allowed for another obvious word and ‘it’ sounds too out of place. Other languages have many more terms for masculine/feminine and neutral sex objects.

Religions as a whole tend to blur at the edges and cross each other at alarming rates. Many of the best known religions are tied to other, older religious ideals and there are surprising correlations between even those that are monotheistic in nature and others which aren’t. The scriptures of Buddha are probably the wisest of all religious teachings, though they are more about life and knowledge than how to pray to a god. The Bible and Koran have the same starting points historically, though they differ and then cross again at a later point. It’s all very interesting, even if you aren’t a believer in any one of them.

To slight religion out of hand because you have never studied it further than as a small part of school or home life is a sign of a lack of willingness to learn about other people more than it is about your own belief. If anything, religion is as much a study of being human as it is belief in a deity.
Wed 09/04/03 at 22:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Cyclone wrote:
> 'He'?
>
> Should it not be 'it'?
>
> He's not a person you know...

---

Ha, contradiction.

Was it deliberated? I think so.
Wed 09/04/03 at 22:03
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I find the human mind and soul far more fascinating than religion.
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:48
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I'm not sure if I believe in God. If he brought his son to this earth to die to ease everyone else's suffering, then why didn't that happen when Jesus died? That was the whole point of his existence according to most religious people.

I believe its human nature and environmental factors that are the cause of good and bad in this world. I strongly believe religion has a largely negative effect on our world, a far greater effect than the good that can and does come from it.

I chose many years ago to refuse to let religion play an active part in my own life. I believe I and other humans control my own life and destiny and that a higher being plays no part in what I do and do not achieve.
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:33
Regular
"Laughingstock"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Why did God tell Adam and Eve not to eat the apple if he knew Eve was
> going to go ahead and eat it anyway?

Yes, the omniscient, all-seeing One must have seen it coming - therefore we can conclude that He is a devious double-crosser.
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:25
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Cyclone wrote:
> 'He'?
>
> Should it not be 'it'?
>
> He's not a person you know...

According the Jehovah's Witnesses 'The Watcher' mag, He's a man in a white suit with a white beard who sits on a golden throne in Heaven surrounded by bearded angels :S
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:22
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Why did God tell Adam and Eve not to eat the apple if he knew Eve was going to go ahead and eat it anyway?
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
'He'?

Should it not be 'it'?

He's not a person you know...
Wed 09/04/03 at 21:05
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I don't believe in a personal God, but if I did, I'd say that in this brief life on Earth He is testing our faith and commitment. He wants us to choose the so-called right path even if when we are facing hardship.
If all He did was intervene every time individuals or humanity "messed up", then we'd never learn anything.

We learn more from suffering/sadness than we do from success/happiness.

Although some would say that He DOES intervene and come to the aid of those in the hour of need. Those who genuinely seek Him.

As for natural disasters.... Planet Earth and the eco-system of the planet is also a living being in a way, and is likewise subject to the same inconsistencies as human beings [?].

But as I'm writing this I'm realizing that I don't believe a word of it. But even though philosophers have proclaimed that "God is dead", He won't go away. There's something within human nature which wants to connect with a higher, more divine power.

One question: If you don't believe in God, why are you angry at His lack of intervention?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.