GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My modem."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/03 at 18:24
Regular
My pc broke and i reinstalled windows. Simple enough. But now when i try to connect to freeola i no longer have a modem installed. How do i install the modem that i have always normally had?
Wed 16/04/03 at 14:39
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
(sorry about he cack spelling im at work at the moment and in the middle of installing something for a customer)
Wed 16/04/03 at 14:37
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Try rebooting your computer, sometimes it shows the make of your modem on start up.

If not check your hardware list and see if there is anything with a '!' on it meaning the device has a problem of some sort.

Lastly try to 'Add New hardware' and it may detect it that way.

If windows has found your modem look in the modems section in ctrl pnale and see what modems it has found.

If all fails contact the place you have bught it from and they maybe able to give you more info on make nmodel of the modem - you can then simply download a driver off the Internet.
Wed 16/04/03 at 14:32
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
You could manage without everything else, just not the modem.
Wed 16/04/03 at 14:15
Regular
Were did you get the modem from? if it was part of a compaq system (for instance) then you will be able to go to there site and get the drivers if you got a freeola modem the you can go to www.puretek.com.tw and get them from there but you will need to know the pcb number which is written in white, this is one of the fist rules when reinstalling "always make sure you have the drivers, the most important one being the modem" people learn from there mistakes i guess.

c.b.
Wed 16/04/03 at 12:37
Regular
I had a similar problem and i deleted anything that referred to my modem & removed it from add/remove programs list ..then i turned pc off and opened it up and took the modem out then turned pc on again then shut it down re-installed the modem and started it up again and the plug and play/hardware wizard found it and searched for the driver and installed it ...or you can choose browse and try all folders like c:/win/program files/drivers if the driver is not there go to an internet cafe and download one from microsoft for free onto a floppy and install that.....hope this is of some use GOOD LUCK
Wed 09/04/03 at 16:04
"www.Freeola.info"
See if you have an unknown device listed in your device manager that looks like it might be your old modem. If so, remove it, restart the PC and let Plug&Pray (Play) re-detect it. If it does not find a generic driver from those that are part of windows, try looking for you driver disk and pointing windows to look on that.
Tue 08/04/03 at 17:22
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Oh yeah, I forgot the sites for DLing:
Try http://www.modem-drivers.com/, but I'm assuming that they all use one generic driver for each make, like the Nvidia Detonators will work with any Nvidia card. If not then this ideas stuffed
Tue 08/04/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Um, I don't think that's usefuk, but what you could do is try downloading the generic drivers for the most popular modems and see if any of them work. I can think of:
US Robotics, Lucent, Hayes and Rockwell (or3com) at first, it's likely it will be one of them. Under Device manager you should see something called PCI Communication device, or something similar. You should try to reinstall the driver for it, using drivers for the above makes, and see if any work. Unless anyones got a better idea?
Tue 08/04/03 at 17:11
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
i found some info on it:

modemtype: PCI-modem, V90 internal
error correction and compression: MNP Classes 1-5 V.42 bis, asynkron, AT commands (hayes)
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:45
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
The only thing I can think of, apart from getting some modem ID software, if anyone knows of any, would be to have a look at the card and see if there's a make on it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.