GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Epidemic Warning"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/03/03 at 09:29
Regular
I've not been here the longest time, but I've heard a lot of people talking about how forums have changed. How the quality of posts and posters has dropped, and how it seems to be spreading from forum to forum like some sort of disease.

So, what are the symptoms? How does this disease propagate itself?
Do the newbie's bring it in with them? Are certain ignorant individuals the prime carriers? And above all, how can we stop it?

I have a theory.

Among the symptoms is a certain amount of spamming. I think that this is just a side effect however, or one of the main causes. The forums are being choked. Choked by their own popularity.
What I'm referring to I can only describe as "legal spam threads".
For example the “movie chain” thread, and the “what music are you listening to right now?” thread in the Movies Forum.

PS2 Longest Thread
Word Association
Even the recent Puzzle Thread, which I have enjoyed immensely.

And why are they choking the forums? Well, because if you list the chat rooms, and try and pick out where the new posts are happening often you're not interested in the PS2 longest thread, or the word association thread.
Also these threads often dominate the post lists, remaining at the top and making it less obvious where people have been posting in other threads.
As a consequence after a while people no longer check those forums, the decent posters move elsewhere, and the forums collapse.

Like I said, choked by their own popularity.

So how could we stop this?
Well, I do think that it would be a shame to stop these threads. Perhaps the answer is to try and contain them. Maybe one solution would be to create a new forum for them. A "fast moving threads" forum. Containing these threads means that decent posts will be easier to pick out from all the other forums.

What do you think?
Could this be the cause of some forum's demise?
and could this be a potential solution?
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:29
Regular
"I ush!"
I've not been here the longest time, but I've heard a lot of people talking about how forums have changed. How the quality of posts and posters has dropped, and how it seems to be spreading from forum to forum like some sort of disease.

So, what are the symptoms? How does this disease propagate itself?
Do the newbie's bring it in with them? Are certain ignorant individuals the prime carriers? And above all, how can we stop it?

I have a theory.

Among the symptoms is a certain amount of spamming. I think that this is just a side effect however, or one of the main causes. The forums are being choked. Choked by their own popularity.
What I'm referring to I can only describe as "legal spam threads".
For example the “movie chain” thread, and the “what music are you listening to right now?” thread in the Movies Forum.

PS2 Longest Thread
Word Association
Even the recent Puzzle Thread, which I have enjoyed immensely.

And why are they choking the forums? Well, because if you list the chat rooms, and try and pick out where the new posts are happening often you're not interested in the PS2 longest thread, or the word association thread.
Also these threads often dominate the post lists, remaining at the top and making it less obvious where people have been posting in other threads.
As a consequence after a while people no longer check those forums, the decent posters move elsewhere, and the forums collapse.

Like I said, choked by their own popularity.

So how could we stop this?
Well, I do think that it would be a shame to stop these threads. Perhaps the answer is to try and contain them. Maybe one solution would be to create a new forum for them. A "fast moving threads" forum. Containing these threads means that decent posts will be easier to pick out from all the other forums.

What do you think?
Could this be the cause of some forum's demise?
and could this be a potential solution?
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:33
Regular
"Omnipresent"
I don't believe the forum is in decline. I have fond memories of the past, but I'm sure it has been glorified a thousand times in my head. The forums are in good condition, and crap posts only make the better ones stand out more.
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:34
Regular
"Omnipresent"
and that's experience talking:)
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:37
"Darkness, always"
Nah, the forums have gone to pot. There was a time when people who could structure sentences using some modicum of spelling, punctuation and grammar were not only the majority, but the norm.

Now, reading the average post is like watching a short film which has 15 of the 25 frames per second removed for artistic flair. Of course, the overall net effect isn't arty at all, it's spasmodic, illiterate and essentially impossible to understand.

I'm currently looking for somewhere else to spend my time.
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:39
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Notables should represent the forums, not look for a bunker or safe-house until the 'bad times' are through.
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:40
Regular
"I ush!"
locky1133 wrote:
> and that's experience talking:)

:)

That's all well and good. Like I said I haven't been here the longest time so some of this theory is based upon other peoples opinions that have been here for longer. That and the fact that as a relatively new person watching for new posts, the reason why I don't say much is some forums is because the tool for picking up the latest post in each forum is partially disabled if it is constantly being triggered by these longest thread forums, which don't really hold any interest.

Maybe you are right.
Like you said you are speaking form experience
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:41
"Darkness, always"
locky1133 wrote:
> Notables should represent the forums, not look for a bunker or
> safe-house until the 'bad times' are through.

Did I ask to be a representative?
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:43
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Did the soldiers in Iraq ask to be there. They signed up to join the military knowing the conseqeunces. You sighned up to the forums as a noob knowing the conseqeunces. So men are born with greatness, some men acheive greatness, some men have it thrust upon them.
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:52
"Darkness, always"
I signed up to chat about stuff, not to urinate into the wind in a noble, if foolish attempt to make scholars out of a horde of philistines and booboisies.
Tue 25/03/03 at 09:55
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Then ask to be re-iniated among the sheep. Swop places with the second runner. Or sign up under a different name. If all you want to do is chat, get a new identity, free from the 'pressures' of Notability.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.