GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Meaning of Life...(Including unseen footage!!!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/01/01 at 18:49
Regular
Hi this is my submission about The Meaning of Life, i would firstly like to say a big thank you to the good people at my mental institute for letting me use their PC, and also a big thank you to all the people at SR for recommending me there.

I usually have a lot a free time on my hands (Explains things don't it?) and most of the time it is thinking about stuff, anything usually but most of all lately the meaning of life, it has come to me that the meaning of life is:

"Conflictions" (Ok keep reading so you can understand it) Basicaly the whole world runs on Conflictions it is what makes us tick, what makes the world go round, what life is all about, lets take an example:

A game (Computer and not) - If there was no way to lose there would be no point in trying, it is the Confliction that keeps you playing, not knowing which way the dice will role, not knowing if you will be wiped out on the final boss of FFVIII, if there was no way of losing there would be no point playing.

A 'Soap' - What keeps you watching is the Conflictions that happen, you WANT to see the fight when someone finds out their best friend is sleeping with his wife, or the Confliction of a big argument.

This is what we humans need to live without it we would not be able to survive, this rule also applies to the animal kingdom, without the Confliction of animals fighting for food, most of the animals would die of starvation or the Confliction of trying to find a mate otherwise thier species would die out.

Us as humans are a little more developed in our lust for Conflictions we need what i call a 'Focus Point' someone or something that is the attention of all the Confliction at the time and place (The words 'The Game' come to mind) of course with all rules there are exceptions, lets take an exception of both a Focused Confliction and a None Focused Confliction:

Focused:

Two words The Game, when he was on all of you attacked him directly, he was the Focus Point of all you rage and Conflictions that need to be taken out on someone, he was just a tool to rid you of your anger (For the time)

Un-Focused:

In our school, beating, bullyings, and general violence are a daily happening, a few days ago most of the people in our school were involved in a large scale fight at multiple people (Sadly i was involved :( ) this was 'Focused' but not entirly so, each person was focused on an individual person and not everyone against 1 or 2 people.

This brings me to my next point, something that is not usually talked about, religon, i am not sure but i think that Jesus Christ was another being, for he did not have any Conflictions (from him to someone else) but i am sure that he was something special, either another being (explaned later) or his brain was formed different from another humans irradicating (or almost) the need for Conflictions, i am going to leave it at that with the religon side of things as i do not want to provoke (too much) any Conflictions.

Attention i was going to say a little on the matter of sex< (Maturly) but i have otherwise decided not to as it could provoke too much.

So now i draw to an end :)

I would like to end this by asking you a question, or rather a riddle as it can not be answered by a human or using a human language, it can only be answered by emotion, but anyway:

Just for a moment suppose there is a higher intelligence, and in thier society there is no Conflictions, what would it be like?

Thanks for reading Va!

Mon 22/01/01 at 14:35
Regular
"not dead"
You know, I've never really looked, but I assumed it was a man becuase of the Mr Man cartoons had a man doing the narration!

Okay, for 'his',read 'her'. Or 'his/her' if were're still unsure!
Mon 22/01/01 at 14:18
"possibly impossible"
I think the Mr Men books were by MRS Roger Hargreaves (if you look closely)
Mon 22/01/01 at 11:03
Regular
"not dead"
What an interesting thread we have here!

It would have been more appropriately placed in the Life in General forum, but you are forgiven.

Anyway, back to the point.

1> I see the Bible as a collection of stories, some of them probably have some truth in them, most are allegorical, as I believe pb said.

Anyway, these stories have been passed down the ages, and the belief in God gives some people some comfort.

What if the Bible had been written by Roger Hargreaves though, and had been passed down the ages? His stories (Mr Men) are also moral tales, so it would fit.

Beware the wrath of Mr Mean! Sinners shall be tickled!

I think I'm going to start a religion, based on the Mr Men books.

2> Some of the Christians I know of, are the worst people I know. They seem to believe that they can do whatever they like to hurt others, then go to church, and claim to be a 'born again Christian'!

3> Other religions have much better stories than the Bible, and the Gods look much better!

4> The meaning of life? Anything that you like! I think if it makes you happy, and isn't hurting anyone, then it's okay. What's the point of doing anything, if eventually it doesn't make you happy?

I don't work to be happy, but to buy things to improve quality of life. This makes me happy.

There's no point searching for a true answer, because there is no way to prove yourself as right, until the day you die!

md
Mon 22/01/01 at 07:04
VEry good point Pb
Sun 21/01/01 at 19:41
"possibly impossible"
Oh dear, games and religion never really went well together did they.

Well, here's my 2 pence worth.

Allegory + belief and views of populous + innacurate history = Old Testament

Old testament material is full of the wrath of G(g)od. The idea is that it's written by prophets (for profits?) i.e. by some people who thought they a) knew the future or b) could talk to God and find his opinions on things.
It also contains elements of history, but this contains many holes or innacuracies, like the Egyptians having slaves (history serves to tell us that Egyptians had paid workers who, for the most part, were pretty happy with this as it meant they didn't starve to death and had some good clothes and shelter) which knocks the passover for six really.

Obviously, people tended to tell a lot of allegorical stories to get their point across, whether they were scientifically achievable or, more often, not. This explains Noah's Ark and many other stories. The 7 days of creation and Adam and Eve could be a generalisation of the whole of creation (7 days multiplied by ?) However, if you believe in an all-powerful God than anything is possible, and if we were some kind of accident, as some scientists believe, then that begs the question 'where did the universe come from?' and if this is answered by citing another spacial event then you could ask 'where did this come from?' and so forth.

Allegory + son of God* + views of people 10 to 100 years later = New Testament

Okay, so saying you believe in Jesus, which is possible if you believe in God, then the new testament is pretty much a straight forward re-count of events. Just remember that at least half of it is written by a bunch of monks at least half a century later and is mostly passed down orally before this point, then translated a few times.

I'm not saying what I believe either way, because I don't think anyone is interested, but they are my thoughts. I also believe that most world religions are related and there are some striking simularities, particularly between Wicca (the 'witch' religion) and Christianity.
Sun 21/01/01 at 18:15
Yes Father Ant :p

Also Grix religon influences everything...
Sun 21/01/01 at 18:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Didnt they find Noahs ark on top of a mountain about 20 years ago?
Sun 21/01/01 at 17:58
Regular
But then you saw us all as a misinformed gang, which you had to preach to!
Sun 21/01/01 at 17:15
Regular
"I like cheese"
Okay, so maybe Noah's Ark mucked up.

But the Bible isn't just made up of Noah's Ark!!!

Grix Thraves wrote:
>It is quite possible to live without Religion. I have >never needed it, as I have found conseltation elsewhere. >If I did need it, I would not go to Christianity first.

Where would you go then?? Hinduism?? Buddism??

Of course you can live without religion, but my life's been better with it, and it may have its advantages later on.

I can't be bothered any more, you lot are just pointing out everything bad in christianity. There's a lot more good than bad in it, you know!!

Well, you've all made your own decisions, and mine is mine alone.

And of there is an after life, then lucky me!!

Sun 21/01/01 at 17:07
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I find the whole Noah's Ark story a bit dodgy myself.

Noah's wife: "Noah, we're 50 miles form the sea. Why are you building a 500-foot Ark?"

Noah: "I'm expecting heavy rain."

Noah's wife: "okayyyy" (runs off to get help for her poor mad husband)

--the flood arrives--

Noah: "Let's get in our boat. The deck has a surface area of 3000 square feet."
Someone else: "Noah, can I come on your boat"
Noah: "No. You have to die. I get to live because I'm a perfect Christian"
Someone else: "Shouldn't you let me on then?"
Noah: "No."
Someone else: "oh, okay. I'm sure nobody at all will try to board your Ark Noah"

--the earth is flooded--
Noah: "You know, I don't really understand the physics of this. Even if all the moisture in the atmosphere condensed and the polar ice caps melted, it's still not possible for the whole world to flood. And isn't it strange that nobody else in the world had any boats? Isn't it suprising that not even aquatic animals were able to survive the flood, save for the ones we have on board?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.