GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aren't people stupid!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/01/01 at 20:07
Regular
Welcome to todays daily rant. Please fill up the front chairs first.

As the title may suggest to the intelligent gathered today, this rant is about the idiots known only as the general public.

I have decided to raise this topic today for two, count them if you wish, reasons. First:

People care too much about specs of a console. I'll come back to this later.

The second reason for this topic comes from a person who will remain unnamed. He doesn't visit this site, by the way.

Today he came up to me, stuck on a game... (Most people come to us when they're stuck on a game... just us, and that other kid... our nemesis...)

Another time brain. Anyway, this boy, my age, was stuck on Half-Life. He said he couldn't get past this bit. I mentally recorded the conversation for such an occasion as now.

Me: "What bit?"

Boy: "Oh... you know. That bit... not far from the start."

"Have you got past the lift that goes down into the green slime?"

"No."

"Have you got past the... bridge? The collapsing bridge?"

"No... no no no."

"Have you found your way around the ventilation shafts yet?"

"No... no ventilation shafts yet."

"...Err... Have you picked up the crowbar yet?" I joked.

"No." He was serious.

"Have you pushed the tray thing into the light thing? And seen all the aliens?"

"Aliens?"

Oh god.

Brain: "(Ask him if he's got off the train yet.)"

"Have you got off the train yet?!?"

"That's it! How do you get off the train!"

Unbelievably, he was quite serious. I'm not sure if it's just Pembroke, but we do seem to get more than our fair share of idiots.

This provoked me today.

Firstly, or secondly, whatever way you look at it, why people are stupid about consoles. Why do they care so much about specs?

No doubt in saying that everyone of you on here have met someone who has said that the X-Box is going to be the better console, because it has a "733" processor, or can push "125 million" polys a sec. Stay with me, even if you think you know what's coming...

In the real world, in comparision of SPEED, and not their own made up numbers, the X-Box has a 400MHZ processor, in the same league as Gamecubes 405, and PS2's near 300.

Secondly, the poly count. The X-Box will push around 6-12 million polys a second. The PS2 a few mill less, and the Cube the same. Spec wise, the X-Box is as good as, and in some places worse, than the Gamecube. But it's only the fact that Nintendo don't go blabbing it around that people aren't hyped up about it.

And finally...

A few days back, there was some news of footage of the X-Box, of a game running at 300 frames a second. Suddenly people were falling over themselves, laughing that the X-Box was superbly powerful... much more than any other system... Idiots.

Does anyone see the quite stupid thing here?

Your OWN EYES, cannot see above 40 frames a second. We are not capable. Games with 60 frames a second is nice, quite impressive, and looks just as good as 600000000000001 frames a second, and the X-Boxs 300 frames a second.

Stupid, or what?
Fri 19/01/01 at 12:23
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I was talking about a demo of xbox running at 300 frames per sec that grix mentioned....
Fri 19/01/01 at 12:39
Grix, it's not just Pembroke there are some right idiots here in Cambridgeshire too. I tried to give this phone number to this woman, so I said it's oh-eighthundred(0800)
.She tried to say the number back to me: "Eight oh-hundred?".

I tried a few times, but should couldn't get it right.
Fri 19/01/01 at 14:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
VenomByte wrote :
"I was talking about a demo of xbox running at 300 frames per sec that grix mentioned...."

Ahh right... everything mkes sense now! :)

Speaking of whic... what is the situation with framerates/screen updates...

I used to think that movies update screens at 25-26 times a second... TV is something like 28?... But although computer games update a great deal more, even when syncedto the monitor/TV screen update, it can still not update fast enough to look smooth on display? (if that makes any sense?)

I was told the reson once, but I forget? ... any ideas?
Fri 19/01/01 at 16:37
Regular
Japanese translation to english for a warning note on a kitchen knife -

Keep out of children.
Fri 19/01/01 at 16:40
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I saw one in a hotel that said on the hairdryer do not use in shower! or that was actually Billy Connely if I remember
Fri 19/01/01 at 16:56
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The following is an actual radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations:

#1: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.

#2: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to south to avoid a collision.

#1: This is the captain of a U. S. navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

#2: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

#1. THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER ENTERPRISE. WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE U. S. NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!

#2. This is a lighthouse. Your call.
Fri 19/01/01 at 18:37
Very funny
Fri 19/01/01 at 19:09
Regular
Sign in a Safari park:- Elephants stay in your cars.
Fri 19/01/01 at 19:28
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
How to prove that the public can be stupid.

METHOD
Some big rich companies get George Bush elected to president by spending lots of $dollars

Fill his innner circle with oil men and appoint an anti-environmentalist to run the environment "to give business more say"

Shut down a few key power stations for "repairs"

Put the price of natural gas up by 300%, saying "shortage"

Get the public in a panic.

RESULT
American public say sod the environment, we want more oil, gas and elecricity.

Big companies get to do the things they want to do.

Environmentalist have to bow to the new public opinion.
Fri 19/01/01 at 19:30
Regular
Only in America...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.