GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aren't people stupid!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/01/01 at 20:07
Regular
Welcome to todays daily rant. Please fill up the front chairs first.

As the title may suggest to the intelligent gathered today, this rant is about the idiots known only as the general public.

I have decided to raise this topic today for two, count them if you wish, reasons. First:

People care too much about specs of a console. I'll come back to this later.

The second reason for this topic comes from a person who will remain unnamed. He doesn't visit this site, by the way.

Today he came up to me, stuck on a game... (Most people come to us when they're stuck on a game... just us, and that other kid... our nemesis...)

Another time brain. Anyway, this boy, my age, was stuck on Half-Life. He said he couldn't get past this bit. I mentally recorded the conversation for such an occasion as now.

Me: "What bit?"

Boy: "Oh... you know. That bit... not far from the start."

"Have you got past the lift that goes down into the green slime?"

"No."

"Have you got past the... bridge? The collapsing bridge?"

"No... no no no."

"Have you found your way around the ventilation shafts yet?"

"No... no ventilation shafts yet."

"...Err... Have you picked up the crowbar yet?" I joked.

"No." He was serious.

"Have you pushed the tray thing into the light thing? And seen all the aliens?"

"Aliens?"

Oh god.

Brain: "(Ask him if he's got off the train yet.)"

"Have you got off the train yet?!?"

"That's it! How do you get off the train!"

Unbelievably, he was quite serious. I'm not sure if it's just Pembroke, but we do seem to get more than our fair share of idiots.

This provoked me today.

Firstly, or secondly, whatever way you look at it, why people are stupid about consoles. Why do they care so much about specs?

No doubt in saying that everyone of you on here have met someone who has said that the X-Box is going to be the better console, because it has a "733" processor, or can push "125 million" polys a sec. Stay with me, even if you think you know what's coming...

In the real world, in comparision of SPEED, and not their own made up numbers, the X-Box has a 400MHZ processor, in the same league as Gamecubes 405, and PS2's near 300.

Secondly, the poly count. The X-Box will push around 6-12 million polys a second. The PS2 a few mill less, and the Cube the same. Spec wise, the X-Box is as good as, and in some places worse, than the Gamecube. But it's only the fact that Nintendo don't go blabbing it around that people aren't hyped up about it.

And finally...

A few days back, there was some news of footage of the X-Box, of a game running at 300 frames a second. Suddenly people were falling over themselves, laughing that the X-Box was superbly powerful... much more than any other system... Idiots.

Does anyone see the quite stupid thing here?

Your OWN EYES, cannot see above 40 frames a second. We are not capable. Games with 60 frames a second is nice, quite impressive, and looks just as good as 600000000000001 frames a second, and the X-Boxs 300 frames a second.

Stupid, or what?
Sat 20/01/01 at 15:19
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I never said u did! All new TVs use 50 or 60 Hz... old ones just 50 Hz... so Sega incluse the option for both

SonicRav
Sat 20/01/01 at 15:16
Regular
I have an old TV, i don't need a console which plays only on a newer one just to play on it.
Sat 20/01/01 at 15:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh yer... Sony Wegs with 100Hz. The problem is that when you buy a game it must work with any TV. Sega include a 50 or 60 hz option, but to include a 100hz option would be stupid as only a very small number of TVs use that.
Anyway, the best way to improve graphics is faster processors to get more polygons. However, better graphics = more time and so developers must make better tools to support such ideas.

SonicRav
Sat 20/01/01 at 13:38
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
But TV's being 100MHz etc... doesnt correlate to having a good quality refresh rate.

SonicRav wrote :
"real life is infinite frames per second"
True, but fairly irrelivant, since movies trick our eyes pretty well an their using 25 frames per second.

I've read an article somewhere that explains all this... I'll try and dig it out and stick the info up here :)
Sat 20/01/01 at 12:39
Actually you can get tv's with 100hz or more, they are cool cos it means little or no flicker
Sat 20/01/01 at 12:34
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, more frmaes per sec= smoother games. Even though we can't see anywhere near as high as 300, remember that real life is infinite frames per second- and that's what developers want to acheive eventually.

The problem, however, is that TVs only do 60 Hz / sec (or 50Hz if u have an older one). 300 frames/sec is stupid!

SonicRav
Sat 20/01/01 at 01:51
Regular
There is one about the guys who make collision detectors for civil airliners. It's an American company, so you get where it's going probably.
When a plane gets close to say a mountain, the detector beeps and says in English
"Pull up, pull up"
So, after an aircrash over China, the investigators are concerned. This aircaft has all the latest safety devices and there is no obvious cause. They recover the blackbox recorder and play it back. You can here the pilots talking to each other, calm as you like just a few seconds before the accident. Suddenly there is a beep, and one of the pilots calmy asks his mate in perfect mandarin
"What the hell does 'Pull up' mean?"
Shortly afterwards things get messy.
Only Americans!
Sat 20/01/01 at 01:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
lol... thats gotta be worth a free game? :)
Fri 19/01/01 at 22:21
Regular
ta
Fri 19/01/01 at 22:18
Regular
Ta?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.