GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kids Anti-War Rally - Why?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/03/03 at 22:00
Regular
Today, I saw on Reporting Scotland, that an anti-war march happened in Edinburgh, so beautifully timed at around 1pm.

It was made up of kids, all around the ages of 7-12, but the thing I don't understand is, is why were they marching?

It's most likeley they don't have a clue about the facts of the war, and about Iraq.

I have nothing against it, oh no, I just don't understand it. Most likely wanted to take part in it because they got the day off school or something, and that's all it meant to them. A day of school.

Now, I mentioned earlier that the march took place at around 1pm.

This is a significant time, as those who live in Edinburgh will know, as the One O'Clock Gun is sounded at, well, 1 O'Clock every day.

When it went off, all the children fell to the ground, and lay there as if they were dead. Pretending to have been shot.

Seriously, they probably didn't have a clue why, and thought it was fun.
All it meant to them was a day of school.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Fri 21/03/03 at 18:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
There was a walk out at 12:30 at uni yesterday. Only about 100 people walked out, and anyone who walked past looked at the protesters like they had a third nipple on their forehead.
Fri 21/03/03 at 17:59
Regular
"95% organic"
Goatboy wrote:

> I think to write-off the opinions of people simply because they are
> not 18 is naieve and extremely insular.

Rightly or wrongly, that is how it works: under-18s do not get a say in the decision-making process. (Particularly when their protests haven't been organised through the relevant NGOs).

However, their opinions are not being written off simply because they are not 18. They are being written off because, despite the potential sincerity of such beliefs, simplified perceptions of an incredibly convoluted situation have no constructive value in the debate.

If you want to make your voice heard, regardless of age, your time would be better spent participating in the official anti-war rallies. Having a thousand teenagers trying to break into Whitehall (... to do what?) on a weekday afternoon does not fairly represent the real anti-war movement: in fact, it probably dilutes its real political credibility.

OK, they were calling for peace... fine. But what were their suggestions for creating peace in the Middle East? There were none. I personally think that attaching too much significance to the opinions of those under-18 protestors would be hugely naieve... Call me a cynic, but unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing those same teenagers protesting for peace in central Africa or Palestine if and when the Iraq crisis subsides... unless of course, Ms Dynamite promises another free concert.
Thu 20/03/03 at 18:40
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
People who do it because it is fun completely undermime the people who actually care. So many people that I've spoken to just want to do it to get a day off school.

It's become trendy to become anti-war. The ONE time that I think war is a good idea...
Thu 20/03/03 at 13:19
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I think you're probably right to some extent, some of them would not have understood the full meaning behind what was going on.

However, children can sometimes put adults to shame, particularly at an age where right and wrong is very clear to them, and not polarised by political stance or any other pollutant to clear, rational thinking.

Just ask yourself this; Is war right or wrong?

Don't try to justify of find a reason as to why war is required, or why action has to be taken, just simply ask yourself if war is a good thing, or a bad thing. You find yourself saying things like 'War is wrong, but how else can you deal with these people', or 'War is wrong, but I can't see any other way'. And so on. You see where I am coming from. Just stop at the first part of the sentence, there's no need to go any further than that.

When I was at junior school, CND was the big issue in the 'Adult World'. I knew what CND was. Even those that weren't aware of the issues new that atomic weapons were not a nice thing. We weren't divided over the issue, some arguing for unilateral disarmament, some arguing for the need for a deterrent to maintain the balance of power. We just new that atomic weapons were a bad thing, that killing other people was wrong.

Adults cloud issues, they bend truths, tell half truths and flat out lie to each other. We twist and turn facts to suit our own needs, provide compelling arguments to justify our actions, no matter how bad they might be. Look at what it has come down to - we can't even agree with our allies anymore. Europe is in a mess, and yet we look down our proverbial noses at our uncivilised adversaries, and spin tall stories on how we will build a better world for them to live in after it's all over and done with. Of course, it'll be all traded to them in return for a big helping of the Black stuff.

All of this talk about a UN approved Iraqi government - what a load of tripe. Does anybody really think that the French or the Russians will agree with anything that the UK/US put forward? They'll all sit around and manoeuvre their way to the best oil deal they can get, each of them circling the fresh kill, positioning themselves for the lion share. Let's not forget why the Russians and French are so against this 'war' - They are concerned that they will loose the profitable deals they have with Iraq at the moment. So they'll all sit around, postulating, making speeches, veiled lies and threats, and trying to convince the other member states that their particular solution is right.

Then it'll be over, and people will forget and go back to their lives. But maybe one of the children that went on the march will remember, one of the children dragged away by the police outside the houses of parliament - one of the most incredible scenes I've witnessed by the way. It's not the same as when you see them nicked for shoplifting, there's something distinctly different about seeing a schoolchild being carried off by two police officers, for saying that war is wrong.
Thu 20/03/03 at 08:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I know some kids honestly believe in the anti-war movement.
So what if they're under voting age?

I have no doubt that some merely used it as an excuse to skip school and no doubt many have no idea what it's about.
However, I personally believe that involving people at a young age in political situations can only be a good thing.
So what if they lay down and pretended to be shot? What if just one of those kids went home and asked his parents why, they explained and that kid decided to take an interest in politics?

Who's to say that one of these kids wont grow up to change the face of this world, triggered by being asked to leave school in protest?
I think to write-off the opinions of people simply because they are not 18 is naieve and extremely insular.
Thu 20/03/03 at 08:29
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
illzen wrote:
> I do think the various kids' anti-war rallies are slightly ill
> conceived. If under-18's are going to protest about anything: then it
> must be to get the right to vote. Otherwise any other political
> activity is, by definition, pointless... an elected government doesn't
> need to pay much attention to non-voters.

At last, a decent reply.

No-one seems to understand what I'm saying....
Thu 20/03/03 at 02:13
Regular
"95% organic"
I do think the various kids' anti-war rallies are slightly ill conceived. If under-18's are going to protest about anything: then it must be to get the right to vote. Otherwise any other political activity is, by definition, pointless... an elected government doesn't need to pay much attention to non-voters.
Wed 19/03/03 at 22:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
We didn't. We basked in sun, played endless football, admired the lovely girls, and just were teenagers in an oddly great early summer.

I think I had lessons.....somewhere.
Wed 19/03/03 at 22:14
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
They would have either done it to get the day off (like you said) or because their parents/school forced them to.

Seems the sort of thing my old primary school would have forced me to do.

Don't think it means an awful lot.
Wed 19/03/03 at 22:11
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Paranoid Idiot wrote:
> To get out of school....

See?
Idiots like you, eh?

What I'm saying is, that's exactly it.
An Anti-War march is meant to voice your opinion, your views, your thoughts, your beliefs.

It's supposed to be an important thing, the Freedom of Speech, once a rare thing, which was frowned upon.

But these kids, they abuse it, unknowingly of course, and voice their apparent opinions on being against a war on Iraq.
But it's not for that, and what you're saying is, is that it's just to get off school.

I honestly do find that wrong.

As I said, an anti-war march, voicing the opinion of a group of people, showing they do not believe we should go to war, and to do this, yet only do it for getting off school, I find wrong. Quite wrong indeed.

Now go post in FOG Chat fool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.