GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metroid Prime Mechanics"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Wed 19/03/03 at 10:04
Regular
No - it doesn't involve fiddling with Samus' suit...although that could be more fun than even the game proves to be ;o)

I was wondering after watching the NGC dvd last night whether Samus' ability to turn into a ball was event driven or fully controllable by the player. eg. Does the ability to turn into a ball occur only when a "ball playable" section of the level is encountered?

Second - are the targeting mechanics - target select> lock > and then strafe/firing occurs or can you randomly fire at anyone of the enemies on screen without targeting?

I loved the scanner - neat way to ensure that everything is not immediately obvious but not really obscure. I am sure some sections will require toing and froing but it doesn't strike as being a real "smash control, kick dog, swear at partner/mother/father/ slam door going to the pub" kind of game.

I am playing Unreal 2 on the PC at the mo and the graphics are gobsmacking (sure the PC you need to achieve them needs to be the equivalent of Worlds Strongest Man on an illegal substance possible with rabies) but the framerate drops occasionally when things go mad. I saw no evidence of this on Metroid and whilst the rez wasn't as high as U2, and the textures maybe not as sharp it looked like it was running at about 30 fps? Possibly more. Very impressed. Whitestripes has possibly said the most about playing it - does it struggle at any point?

And if all this has been covered before apologies, I have deliberately not dug too deep till this week. But now I am really looking forward to this game.
Wed 19/03/03 at 17:37
Regular
"NJAN"
hey, was just readin about ye guys talkin bout metroid. have ye guys already got a copy of the game? import right?
i thought it wasnt out til the 21st? i have mine preordered and i CANT WAIT to get my mitts one it! the more i read about it the more i want it. another game to add to the cubes 'killer apps' list. and, i hate to say it but, the cube really needs killer apps.
Wed 19/03/03 at 16:34
Regular
Delorentis wrote:

>
> I was wondering after watching the NGC dvd last night whether Samus'
> ability to turn into a ball was event driven or fully controllable by
> the player. eg. Does the ability to turn into a ball occur only when a
> "ball playable" section of the level is encountered?

You can turn into a ball and roll around whenever you like.

>
> Second - are the targeting mechanics - target selectlock and then
> strafe/firing occurs or can you randomly fire at anyone of the enemies
> on screen without targeting?

Hold L to lock on (like Zelda) or hold R to manually aim anywhere on the screen.

>Very impressed. Whitestripes
> has possibly said the most about playing it - does it struggle at any
> point?

No. I had about a second of slowdown once when I used a power bomb in a room full of enemies, that's about all I've seen.
Wed 19/03/03 at 15:55
Regular
I was sure it runs at 60 fps...

:S
Wed 19/03/03 at 15:52
"For the horde!!!!"
Delorentis wrote:
> No - it doesn't involve fiddling with Samus' suit...although that
> could be more fun than even the game proves to be ;o)

Bet you wish there was tight bikini under that suit lol

> I was wondering after watching the NGC dvd last night whether Samus'
> ability to turn into a ball was event driven or fully controllable by
> the player. eg. Does the ability to turn into a ball occur only when a
> "ball playable" section of the level is encountered?

I'm sure the player can morph in and out of ball mode at will.

> Second - are the targeting mechanics - target selectlock and then
> strafe/firing occurs or can you randomly fire at anyone of the enemies
> on screen without targeting?

If you mean place crossaire over target and shooting then yes (hopefully).
Wed 19/03/03 at 15:21
Regular
answer 1.wheneva u want
answer 2.no u dont have 2 lock on
Wed 19/03/03 at 10:04
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
No - it doesn't involve fiddling with Samus' suit...although that could be more fun than even the game proves to be ;o)

I was wondering after watching the NGC dvd last night whether Samus' ability to turn into a ball was event driven or fully controllable by the player. eg. Does the ability to turn into a ball occur only when a "ball playable" section of the level is encountered?

Second - are the targeting mechanics - target select> lock > and then strafe/firing occurs or can you randomly fire at anyone of the enemies on screen without targeting?

I loved the scanner - neat way to ensure that everything is not immediately obvious but not really obscure. I am sure some sections will require toing and froing but it doesn't strike as being a real "smash control, kick dog, swear at partner/mother/father/ slam door going to the pub" kind of game.

I am playing Unreal 2 on the PC at the mo and the graphics are gobsmacking (sure the PC you need to achieve them needs to be the equivalent of Worlds Strongest Man on an illegal substance possible with rabies) but the framerate drops occasionally when things go mad. I saw no evidence of this on Metroid and whilst the rez wasn't as high as U2, and the textures maybe not as sharp it looked like it was running at about 30 fps? Possibly more. Very impressed. Whitestripes has possibly said the most about playing it - does it struggle at any point?

And if all this has been covered before apologies, I have deliberately not dug too deep till this week. But now I am really looking forward to this game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.