GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metroid Prime Mechanics"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Wed 19/03/03 at 10:04
Regular
No - it doesn't involve fiddling with Samus' suit...although that could be more fun than even the game proves to be ;o)

I was wondering after watching the NGC dvd last night whether Samus' ability to turn into a ball was event driven or fully controllable by the player. eg. Does the ability to turn into a ball occur only when a "ball playable" section of the level is encountered?

Second - are the targeting mechanics - target select> lock > and then strafe/firing occurs or can you randomly fire at anyone of the enemies on screen without targeting?

I loved the scanner - neat way to ensure that everything is not immediately obvious but not really obscure. I am sure some sections will require toing and froing but it doesn't strike as being a real "smash control, kick dog, swear at partner/mother/father/ slam door going to the pub" kind of game.

I am playing Unreal 2 on the PC at the mo and the graphics are gobsmacking (sure the PC you need to achieve them needs to be the equivalent of Worlds Strongest Man on an illegal substance possible with rabies) but the framerate drops occasionally when things go mad. I saw no evidence of this on Metroid and whilst the rez wasn't as high as U2, and the textures maybe not as sharp it looked like it was running at about 30 fps? Possibly more. Very impressed. Whitestripes has possibly said the most about playing it - does it struggle at any point?

And if all this has been covered before apologies, I have deliberately not dug too deep till this week. But now I am really looking forward to this game.
Thu 20/03/03 at 00:06
Regular
"everyone says it"
Completely your choice.

Best game of last 5 years.
Thu 20/03/03 at 00:02
Regular
"NJAN"
tell me about it! ive just bought 2 games there off the net (xg3 and nhl hitz 03) and ive prebooked metroid for friday.
my exams start in a month i think. i say 'think' cause i havent been to college for most of this semester. and i have a german oral exam coming up in the next two weeks, i think.
but, as they say, you only live once so roll on friday!!! lol
Wed 19/03/03 at 22:36
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Advanced Higher Exams -vs- Metroid Prime.

Hmm... :-D
Wed 19/03/03 at 22:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Coursework v Metroid.

I say fun beats learning.
Wed 19/03/03 at 22:08
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Mmmmmm Metroid. 2 Days.

Just before my exam revision, great..

Really its not, I'll probably be playing damn Metroid and not revising. Growl.
Wed 19/03/03 at 18:22
Regular
Sony bought exclusive rights to Burnout 2 for a few months.
Wed 19/03/03 at 18:20
Regular
"NJAN"
Delorentis wrote:

> Hehe - us plebs have had to wait. But there are a list of
> "extras" that us european gamers are getting due to the fact
> that we have different tastes and prefer harder games/better value
> maybe?

just thinkin bout that... (this takes a dif look but) is it really so bad that us cube owners have to wait a little longer to get some of the great games that have been released on the ps2 and xbox? i mean sure it would be better to get all the games now n stuff but take burnout 2 for example. the ps2 had it first and they all bragged but now burnout 2 is comin to the cube and it boasts a good few improvements (optimised code leading to higher framerates, better boosts for driving on the wrong side of the road etc).

not really a question there but just more of an observation.
hmm...

amos.
Wed 19/03/03 at 18:13
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
amos wrote:
> grr...
>
> *amos's face goes green with envy*

Hehe - us plebs have had to wait. But there are a list of "extras" that us european gamers are getting due to the fact that we have different tastes and prefer harder games/better value maybe?

Whatever. I posted it a while back but it included speech, longer wait times before a hint appears, shooting a door more often to open it etc. Won't change it dramatically but at least we get some recompense for the wait.

Maybe. Frikkin Nintendo. :oS
Wed 19/03/03 at 17:44
Regular
"NJAN"
grr...

*amos's face goes green with envy*
Wed 19/03/03 at 17:42
Regular
Aye.

Import.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.