GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone remember the old Metal Gear Solid?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid'.
Sat 06/08/05 at 03:07
Regular
With FF7 and Crash Bandicoot done and dusted, I thought I'd dab my hand at this one. A nice game that's aged surprisingly well (although the dual shock "analogue" is monstrously clumsy - I thought they'd develloped it after the N64 one?), the plot going a bit haywire towards the end but still managed to make sense.

The thing that gets me is that I'm now fighting Metal Gear Rex.
I've fought some pretty tough bosses in my time but this really takes the biscuit. There is no way to dodge those homing missiles and I don't think I can shoot them either. So it's impossible to not take damage let alone take aim and shoot back.

If that wasn't bad enough, I actually beat it but unloading more rounds at it than it at me (at a large cost of health) only to get a cut scene, brief control of Snake aiming a stinger missile (which involved him saying "Noooooo! I can't!!!!" and me mashing the fire button saying "yes you can you stupid mongtard... OH FFS!!!!!") ending me have to fight the guy again only this time with all my rations used up.

Any tips would be appreciated, not least on how you outrun homing misiles.
Thanks in advance. :-)
Sun 07/08/05 at 23:26
Regular
snake10 wrote:
> have not an ounce of gaming in u.

Oh dear.
Sun 07/08/05 at 21:55
Regular
"youngest regular"
well any way:
there are 2 phases
in this battle before and after the cutscene.
for the first one grab the rations(there around someplace) and use chaffs.
in the bottom right hand corner there is a box hide behind that.

the 2nd is much harder
walk under him and avoid the feet and laser.
then hit em with a stinger when possible.
Sun 07/08/05 at 21:50
Regular
"youngest regular"
are u serious!
when i was eight i did that.
EIGHT!!!!
jesus christ man,have not an ounce of gaming in u.

and what were these 'tough bosses'.
Sat 06/08/05 at 15:43
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> That's because despite what Liquid believes he actually has the
> stronger genes. (Not played the game since about 2000 so might be
> wrong :-D)

Ah. I finally finished it, finally found something that could kill Liquid and yeah, got that little speech from the Revolver guy talking about the third twin. Explains quite a bit. I guess we hear more from Snake's other twin in later games.

I guess the sequels were only on the PS2, the Gamecube getting the remake of the one I just played. This is annoying...
First the FF7 sequel on the PS2, now the rest of Metal Gear...
Meh! They'll be cheap once the PS3 is out! :-)
Sat 06/08/05 at 12:37
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Use a mixture of chaff grenades, diving rolls

Diving rolls? No can do on the original.
Sat 06/08/05 at 12:18
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Strafio wrote:
> Liquid Snake, he goes on about his "recessive genes" but
> he's freaking invincible! Solid, sure he survives but that's because
> he's not inside a Hind Helecopter when it goes down, he's not the
> recepient of several stinger missiles to the face and he's not inside
> Metal Gear when it blows.

That's because despite what Liquid believes he actually has the stronger genes. (Not played the game since about 2000 so might be wrong :-D)
Sat 06/08/05 at 11:57
Regular
Okies. I actually found a different way to do it but you left me with some questions.

I tried Chaff Grenades but they seemed to have no effect?
And how do you do that diving roll? It would've been useful?
Anysway, I found that those missile miss you if you run in close, you run out from the cutting laser and you run to the side for the machine gun.

I finally took him down.

Liquid Snake, he goes on about his "recessive genes" but he's freaking invincible! Solid, sure he survives but that's because he's not inside a Hind Helecopter when it goes down, he's not the recepient of several stinger missiles to the face and he's not inside Metal Gear when it blows.

I wasn't expecting a small topple off the top of Metal Gear Rex to kill him either. Sure enough as I ride a getaway he's on my tail, and yes, he survives a several face-fulls of lead. I'm sure he's got a sticky end coming but I guess I'll have to complete that "level" to find out.
Sat 06/08/05 at 04:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Use a mixture of chaff grenades, diving rolls behind the crates at either side of the hangar, and shoot out the radar dish on the side of Rex before you take too much damage.
Sat 06/08/05 at 03:07
Regular
With FF7 and Crash Bandicoot done and dusted, I thought I'd dab my hand at this one. A nice game that's aged surprisingly well (although the dual shock "analogue" is monstrously clumsy - I thought they'd develloped it after the N64 one?), the plot going a bit haywire towards the end but still managed to make sense.

The thing that gets me is that I'm now fighting Metal Gear Rex.
I've fought some pretty tough bosses in my time but this really takes the biscuit. There is no way to dodge those homing missiles and I don't think I can shoot them either. So it's impossible to not take damage let alone take aim and shoot back.

If that wasn't bad enough, I actually beat it but unloading more rounds at it than it at me (at a large cost of health) only to get a cut scene, brief control of Snake aiming a stinger missile (which involved him saying "Noooooo! I can't!!!!" and me mashing the fire button saying "yes you can you stupid mongtard... OH FFS!!!!!") ending me have to fight the guy again only this time with all my rations used up.

Any tips would be appreciated, not least on how you outrun homing misiles.
Thanks in advance. :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.