GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live / Internet Connection Sharing - HELP!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/03/03 at 13:45
Regular
Once again ...

There was a time when I thought I knew a fair bit about computers, that was until Xbox LIVE came onto the scene! You guys have been immensely helpful thus far, but i've a new problem which I did TRY and get an answer to a few days back, but probably didn't put the question forward properly.

I have everything neccessary to get going. My PC is linked up to Freeola's Broadband service (which I think MAY become relevant at a later stage in my question) via a USB external ASDL modem. I have also installed a PCI NIC Ethernet (LAN adapter?) card.

Now, from my understanding all that is left to do to get Xbox LIVE up and running is to setup Internet Connection Sharing on my PC (running Windows 98 SE) which is where my problem comes in.

Going through the wizard to set this up i'm asked whether my connection to the internet is through a "dial-up-connection" or a "high speed connection". Obviously it is a high-speed connection, but when I select this option I am presented with a list of two possible "adapters". One reads "dial-up-adapter#1" and one "aol adapter" (I think it's important to note i'm not actually on AOL Broadband, but I do still have an AOL account which I think might refer to this adapter thing).

If I select the "dial-up-adapter#1" it tells me that this connection ISN'T a high-speed connection and that the settings will be changed accordingly (so why is it displayed in the high-speed connections tab!?).

Anyhow, I CAN successfully choose the AOL adapter (what relevance this is i've no idea but I thought it might be worth mentioning).

Returning to the front page of the wizard, I also selected the dial-up option to see what adapters were available for selection there. Again, a random dial-up adapter, an AOL adapter (although this one mentions dial-up in it's name and I recall seeing a connected adapter when browsing through my DIAL-UP-NETWORKING folder), AND AccessRunner DSL (which anyone with Freeola Broadband will know is the connection to that account).

Now, when I setup my Freeola broadband the technical support guy said that theoretically, your computer "dials-up" through a dial-up connection screen, although it isn't actually dialling anywhere, this is just used to log-on to the network. As such, the AccessRunner DSL thing is located in the DIAL-UP-NETWORKING folder, even though your actually accessing a high-speed connection rather than a standard dial-up connection.

So, this leads me to beleive that the computer RECOGNISES my broadband connection (AccessRunnerDSL) as a dial-up connection, even though it is actually a broadband connection.

So, theoretically, does this then mean that in the wizard for setting up Internet Connection Sharing if I select DIAL-UP CONNECTION as opposed to high-speed connection (only because in DIAL-UP CONNECTION I can see the connection i would usually use to access the internet) and then select AccessRunner DSL, it is still registering with the computer that what we actually have is a broadband connection?

Confused? Ditto. I'm sure SOMEONE out there can understand what i'm asking (essentially, because freeola broadband is connected via a dial-up adapter does this affect me sharing my connection with my Xbox), and will be able to help me make sense of this mess!

Please put my mind at ease that this is going to work now i've invested quite an amount of money on getting Xbox LIVE up and running!

Thanks a lot for your help ...
Wed 19/03/03 at 13:47
"www.Freeola.info"
Turbonutter wrote:
> http://www.deerfield.com/products/wingate/
>
> Use that.

Use Wingate, it is by far the easyest way of setting it up. It will automaticly configure the sharing PC and automaticly (Via DHCP) set up any other device that you plug into your internal network - PC, Console, whatever.

You can even download a free trial to test it and see for yourself.
Mon 17/03/03 at 07:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Haha. Yeah. Good one.
Mon 17/03/03 at 03:03
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Taka-Q wrote:
> and way more reliable

HAHAHAHAHA!!! CHUNK MAKE SLOTH LAUGH!!!
Sun 16/03/03 at 16:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
ADH wrote:
> Okay, what exactly will that do for me?

It will make Internet Connection Sharing work.
Sun 16/03/03 at 16:09
Regular
"Digging!"
Miserableman wrote:
> I regard Windows 98 as the worst operating system ever made, but I
> have no experience of Windows ME and many, many people who's opinion I
> respect say it's even worse.

ME is worst looking compared to XP, adn not have all thie fancy crap like the processer useage on the Ctrl Alt Delete screen, but ME is more intuitive, and way more reliable, as I discovered using my friends PC which kept getting windows errors and wanting to send reports (and it can't be the components as they were all high quillity when I checked).
Sun 16/03/03 at 00:15
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I regard Windows 98 as the worst operating system ever made, but I have no experience of Windows ME and many, many people who's opinion I respect say it's even worse.
Sat 15/03/03 at 23:41
Regular
"Digging!"
I've found it in ME, and it seems easy enough.
Sat 15/03/03 at 23:38
Regular
"Digging!"
ADH wrote:
> A fair few people have said Win98 isn't ideal for this sort of thing,
> so taking your point into consideration (e.g on the basis that I AM
> able to get ICS to work with Win98 first), would it be recommendable
> to upgrade?
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Win 2000, but I do have a copy of
> Win ME which my dad has on his laptop. Is that any good for this sort
> of thing, or should I just stick with Win98?
>
> Cheers.

I have windows ME. Ill check if you like if you post were I can find the connection sharing options.
Sat 15/03/03 at 23:21
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
A fair few people have said Win98 isn't ideal for this sort of thing, so taking your point into consideration (e.g on the basis that I AM able to get ICS to work with Win98 first), would it be recommendable to upgrade?

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Win 2000, but I do have a copy of Win ME which my dad has on his laptop. Is that any good for this sort of thing, or should I just stick with Win98?

Cheers.
Sat 15/03/03 at 21:40
Regular
"Digging!"
ADSL connects as a dial up, so thats right. I think it should work fine on the internet sharing options and with all the kit you've invested in, so I would'nt worry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.