GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bring back the real 80's rock"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/03/03 at 20:04
Regular
I miss the old days. It seems that these days everyone wants to learn to play keyboards, or synth their music, or worse…rap.

Why can’t we go back to the 80’s, when Rock was all about long hair, kick @ss guitar riffs and attitude. Yeah, there were those who overdid it and those who faked it, but the attitudes were just a part of what made the music great.

I’ll get a lot of stick for this now, but I remember when Meatloaf was a god among bikers, when Ozzy was part of a much larger stage and not part of a family sit-com style fly on the wall docusoap. I remember when David Coverdale wasn’t just known for slow ballards. I remember the dramatic riffs that sang to your heart and made you mosh in the old fashioned way. Rock wasn’t metal, that was true, metal was for the really hardcore who moshed the hardest and never washed. Rock was for those who wanted to love, to live and to drive to the sound of guitars.

There was enough different rock for everyone too, the Ballards for those who didn’t want hardcore, the chart rock, there for the masses who weren’t ready for the human sacrifice and then there was the hard rock, the stuff of legend that led in to the even more infamous death metal. Rock was there for every occasion and never let you down.

Yes, Rock (and metal, now I’ve brought it up) was great in those days. The only raps came from the proper rappers like Run DMC and the rockers had the hair, the leather and the huge stage presence. Nowdays what do we have? New Metal, a hybrid of bad rap and kiddy rock and then we have commercial woman rock. Now forgive me for being sexist, but woman rock is not really up their with the best of them, is it? Think Bonnie Tyler, T’Pau then think Avril Lavigne, that’s all I have to say about that.

It all went wrong when it became far too commercial and ended up becoming a parody of itself, when we finally realised we would have to give in to pop and when dance killed what hope we had. Until decent new REAL Rock bands come back, I’m going to inflict rock wherever I go, from the car, from the house and at work. Then, and only then, they will see sense.
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:32
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Goatboy wrote:
> Not rock though is it.
>
> 80s rock:
>
> Judas Priest
> Whitesnake
> Europe
> Foreigner
> Heart
> Def Leppard
> Van Halen
> Motley Crue

Has most of these on it too.

'Pour some sugar' is Def Leppard isn't it? I may be wrong.
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:28
"Darkness, always"
Let's not forget Survivor.

Where would we be without "The Eye of The Tiger"?
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Not rock though is it.

80s rock:

Judas Priest
Whitesnake
Europe
Foreigner
Heart
Def Leppard
Van Halen
Motley Crue
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:26
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I have 'the best rock anthemns in the world ever' which is a double disc full of this kinda thing.

"The Boys are back in town" and "Pour some sugar" are particular favouites of mine.

Oh, and "The whole of the moon"
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:20
"Darkness, always"
A-HA!!!

A curse on those boyband plebians who covered "Take on Me" and made it sound completely crap.
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:15
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Yes?

Didn't they do "Owner of a lonely heart?"

Or am I thinking of someone else?

What about A-ha, The Jam, The Cure, Starship, Fleetwood Mac...
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:08
"Darkness, always"
Bonnie Tyler had two decent singles.

I Need a Hero
Total Eclipse of the Heart.

The latter being by far the better of the two..
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:07
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Bonnie Tyler only really had one good tune to be fair so did The Seagulls.

The 80's were all about Yes.

Superb.
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:01
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
True. I was listening to the GTA Vice City soundtrack the other day. I hate the game but the soundtrack is excellent.

Flock of Seagulls - Gotta Get Away

A great tune.
Thu 13/03/03 at 12:50
"Darkness, always"
Well, I think the whole idea is getting a little too far out of hand. I liked the old rock stuff, and it's certainly better than the vast majority of stuff in the charts these days.

I mean, come on. The first thing to stay at number one for more more than a single week for about 5 years does so only because the two girls singing it get off with eachother in the video...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.