GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bring back the real 80's rock"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/03/03 at 20:04
Regular
I miss the old days. It seems that these days everyone wants to learn to play keyboards, or synth their music, or worse…rap.

Why can’t we go back to the 80’s, when Rock was all about long hair, kick @ss guitar riffs and attitude. Yeah, there were those who overdid it and those who faked it, but the attitudes were just a part of what made the music great.

I’ll get a lot of stick for this now, but I remember when Meatloaf was a god among bikers, when Ozzy was part of a much larger stage and not part of a family sit-com style fly on the wall docusoap. I remember when David Coverdale wasn’t just known for slow ballards. I remember the dramatic riffs that sang to your heart and made you mosh in the old fashioned way. Rock wasn’t metal, that was true, metal was for the really hardcore who moshed the hardest and never washed. Rock was for those who wanted to love, to live and to drive to the sound of guitars.

There was enough different rock for everyone too, the Ballards for those who didn’t want hardcore, the chart rock, there for the masses who weren’t ready for the human sacrifice and then there was the hard rock, the stuff of legend that led in to the even more infamous death metal. Rock was there for every occasion and never let you down.

Yes, Rock (and metal, now I’ve brought it up) was great in those days. The only raps came from the proper rappers like Run DMC and the rockers had the hair, the leather and the huge stage presence. Nowdays what do we have? New Metal, a hybrid of bad rap and kiddy rock and then we have commercial woman rock. Now forgive me for being sexist, but woman rock is not really up their with the best of them, is it? Think Bonnie Tyler, T’Pau then think Avril Lavigne, that’s all I have to say about that.

It all went wrong when it became far too commercial and ended up becoming a parody of itself, when we finally realised we would have to give in to pop and when dance killed what hope we had. Until decent new REAL Rock bands come back, I’m going to inflict rock wherever I go, from the car, from the house and at work. Then, and only then, they will see sense.
Wed 19/03/03 at 22:08
Regular
"we escape....."
So... ne1 like bob dylan?
Sat 15/03/03 at 18:05
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
The bloke who drummed in KISS now drums for Counting Crows.

True story.
Fri 14/03/03 at 15:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Yes?
>
> Didn't they do "Owner of a lonely heart?"
>

Indeed they did, as well as many many other superb (I mean amazing) songs which won't ever get air-time because for some reason everyone just wanted to play Owner of a lonely heart.

I seriously suggest everyone go and buy Yes' album. 'Tomato'
Fri 14/03/03 at 15:12
"possibly impossible"
These are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights....

Ah, the painted faces. What were Kiss on?

And of course 80's rock became 90's Rock, more sophisicated and going in all different directions. It didn't have the showmanship, but bands like Faith No More had to survive on the quality of their music and their reputation.

I still stand up for the 80's Rock bands and their flamboyance, even if it does include Bon Jovi.
Fri 14/03/03 at 10:40
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I don't know about mullets - I thought this was just for footballers.

AC/DC - how could you not mention them!

Saxon
Iron Maiden
Kiss
UFO
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd

Damn it - I'm going to have to get the old record player out, I'm getting all nostalgic
Thu 13/03/03 at 21:46
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I just want hair like Slash.
Thu 13/03/03 at 17:21
Regular
"Sexy Mexican Worker"
i'll have to go out and buy a mullet wig now
Thu 13/03/03 at 17:15
"possibly impossible"
Salez Advizor wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Why not the haircuts? Mullets rule.
>
> ok you can have the haircuts

Oh, I already doooooo.

And Goatboy, you secretly love 80's bands but you are bitter, being the lovechild of Joe Elliot and Carol Decker.
Thu 13/03/03 at 17:05
Regular
"Sexy Mexican Worker"
pb wrote:
> Why not the haircuts? Mullets rule.

ok you can have the haircuts
Thu 13/03/03 at 13:36
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:

> 'Pour some sugar' is Def Leppard isn't it? I may be wrong.

Yep. And "Animal", "Hysteria" and "Gods Of War".

Incidentally, the Def Leppard tune "Two Steps Behind" was used as the final credits tune on the abysmal Last Action Hero starring Arnie...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.